The Last of Us (HBO Max)

On 08/02/2023 at 04:34, David B. said:

For people saying it seems slow, that's more in tune with parts of the game where Joel and Ellie are traveling and she's trying to get Joel to open up or both are getting to know each other. Even in the game those parts aren't all that slow. You can't expect action every single episode when it's trying to be a more realistic approach to something like this. Keep in mind the whole point is he is trying to get her across the country and he's not wanting any attention on them because of her "condition". In reality if you were in a world like this would you want every day to be action filled? Draw attention to yourself or others? No

I enjoy the fact they are using the series to show some backstory into certain characters from the game. Especially with Tess, Bill and Frank. The first game had a lot more story that they left out and it looks like they're using the series to show some of that.

Just be honest and admit you saw two men kiss, got scared and are now assuming that homosexuals are the target audience.

That's the only thing about that episode that would make you say that.

Nor can you sit for 30 - 45 minutes sussing out patterns to sneak past. 😂

On 08/02/2023 at 10:04, David B. said:

Just be honest and admit you saw two men kiss, got scared and are now assuming that homosexuals are the target audience.

That's the only thing about that episode that would make you say that.

Got scared? Lol far from it. It was just a choice which me and my wife made. 

Please tell us that now we don’t have a choice to turn off content which we don’t like? Is it mandatory to watch such content? Just like people have a choice to be he/she/it/they, people also have a choice to not watch he/she/it/they content. 

Does that mean me and my wife are homophobic? Maybe ! But our friends who are openly gay think otherwise. So we don’t need anyone’s validation. It’s a matter of choice after all.

On 08/02/2023 at 08:23, d5aqoëp said:

Does that mean me and my wife are homophobic? Maybe ! But our friends who are openly gay think otherwise. So we don’t need anyone’s validation. It’s a matter of choice after all.

If you actually told your gay friends you stopped watching The Last of Us because there were two gay guys in one episode, trust me, they're just just being nice, and as soon as you leave the room they ###### talk about you.

Also, if I had friends, and saw them post that, let alone what The Crip was ranting on about earlier, I'd probably take them down a few pegs, talk to them about it, and honestly probably put that friendship on the back burner.

Anyways, Episode 5 looks wild. I've never played the game, but it looks like some fungus monster is what's lurking under the ground, that'll be a nice take on zombies, quite different.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 2

On 08/02/2023 at 10:43, shockz said:

IAnyways, Episode 5 looks wild. I've never played the game, but it looks like some fungus monster is what's lurking under the ground, that'll be a nice take on zombies, quite different.

Oh yeah, I forgot that bit.... what's under there??? Now I want episode 5 lol, glad I only have to wait till Friday.

On 04/02/2023 at 04:57, FloatingFatMan said:

*Looks at the history books*

*Looks at current nation leaders*

Some might say fungi is still ruling this planet...

lol

On 04/02/2023 at 04:57, FloatingFatMan said:

Anyway, I really don't get the fascination with such shows as this.  It's just yet another generic zombie apocalypse show based on yet another generic zombie apocalypse game.  The market is oversaturated with such dross and I really am sick and tired of it all... Can we have something different please?

While the concept of post apocalyptic zombie is generic, the way the zombies themselves are handled is quite unique. The addition of it being a fungus really amps up the creepy factor of them for me, and the clicker sound just sticks with you too

-----

man I gotta catch up; I've only watched the first two episodes so far. just haven't had the time/energy to invest recently.

On 08/02/2023 at 10:43, shockz said:

If you actually told your gay friends you stopped watching The Last of Us because there were two gay guys in one episode, trust me, they're just just being nice, and as soon as you leave the room they ###### talk about you.

Also, if I had friends, and saw them post that, let alone what The Crip was ranting on about earlier, I'd probably take them down a few pegs, talk to them about it, and honestly probably put that friendship on the back burner.

Anyways, Episode 5 looks wild. I've never played the game, but it looks like some fungus monster is what's lurking under the ground, that'll be a nice take on zombies, quite different.

Go back to episode 2 (I believe it was) where Ellie was asking Joel and Tess if certain types of infected she heard about were real or not. They laughed at one and looked at each other with a serious look for the other.

I just finished watching episode 4 and I'm really hooked. I love the dynamic between Joel and Ellie. I never played the game, but have read about it a long time ago and was intrigued ever since. It sounded unique. But not having a PlayStation and not being a gamer anymore for many years, I've never played or even seen it. So I was thrilled when I heard a show would be made out of it. Even if just to get a glimpse about what it's all about.

I'm also one of those that looks up songs that are played in shows and the song at the end of this episode hit me. I just had to look it up. For those interested, here is some history about the song and it's connection with the game:

https://www.looper.com/1164803/what-is-the-song-at-the-end-of-the-last-of-us-episode-4/

And the song itself:

• Like 3

On 08/02/2023 at 16:22, Raphaël G. said:

I just finished watching episode 4 and I'm really hooked. I love the dynamic between Joel and Ellie. I never played the game, but have read about it a long time ago and was intrigued ever since. It sounded unique. But not having a PlayStation and not being a gamer anymore for many years, I've never played or even seen it. So I was thrilled when I heard a show would be made out of it. Even if just to get a glimpse about what it's all about.

I'm also one of those that looks up songs that are played in shows and the song at the end of this episode hit me. I just had to look it up. For those interested, here is some history about the song and it's connection with the game:

https://www.looper.com/1164803/what-is-the-song-at-the-end-of-the-last-of-us-episode-4/

And the song itself:

I'm pretty sure the one in the credits of episode 4 was actually the voice actress of Ellie from the game. You can find covers the voice actors of Ellie (Ashley Johnson) and Joel (Troy Baker) recorded for the games. There's also a live video of them performing together I believe.

On 09/02/2023 at 03:46, David B. said:

I'm pretty sure the one in the credits of episode 4 was actually the voice actress of Ellie from the game. You can find covers the voice actors of Ellie (Ashley Johnson) and Joel (Troy Baker) recorded for the games. There's also a live video of them performing together I believe.

I stumbled upon this cover by Ashley Johnson. I didn't search for it, Youtube proposed it by itself after I binge listened to Lotte Kestner's cover :) . So I guess it makes sense I posted this here too.

I think episode 4's song sounds more like Lotte Kestner's cover but it isn't of too much importance. I'm not trying to be right and I enjoy both :) 

I'm catching up. I just watched episodea 3 and 4. I'm thinking Nick Offerman is probably gonna get a Emmy nomination for that episode. And on episode 4 where Joel killed that guy. Wow. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just finished the first season. Wow, that final episode gave me a sense of PTSD. The whole thing in the hospital and what came after...playing as Joel or watching it unfold, I'd do the same thing.

Question though: Was Ellie's backstory brought up in the game like it was in the last episode? I don't remember that bit of information...

On 04/05/2023 at 16:24, Nick H. said:

We just finished the first season. Wow, that final episode gave me a sense of PTSD. The whole thing in the hospital and what came after...playing as Joel or watching it unfold, I'd do the same thing.

Question though: Was Ellie's backstory brought up in the game like it was in the last episode? I don't remember that bit of information...

Her backstory was a DLC called "Left Behind" that was released later on. The part showing her mother was based on a DLC they planned on releasing but later canceled. Her mother was played by the actress who voices Ellie in the games