Basketball fans who storm the court are morons

I just finished watching Wake Forest beat Duke on ESPN. As soon as the game ended, all of the students in attendance stormed the court. Here and I thought kids had to be smart in order to get accepted to a university like Wake Forest. These students are flippin' idiots!

I've been to my share of exciting games when I was in college. I've stood in line for 10 hours once to get into a game. I've screamed so loud and so much that I couldn't talk after the game. I've yelled at and made fun of the other team and their coach.

Not once did I, or any of my friends, or any of the other students storm the court. Bad things can happen when students storm the court: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/s...14rush0214.html

I truly think that fans who storm the court are morons. Show a little self restraint! Yeah, it's cool, your team won the game. Jump up and down, scream, give high-fives.

The Wake Forest students acted like they had just won the NCAA Championships or something. :dontgetit:

i'm sorry, but if you haven't actually rushed the court/field, can you really talk? to me, there is nothing more passionate than college sports, especially with the fans, because it's their classmates out there. no money (well, not supposed to be), just game. rushing the court/field is so much fun, and such a rush, it's pure excitement. and like the person said, as long as no one gets hurt.

there is nothing more fun than to rush the court after a big win in basketball. it is awesome! shows the excitement of the fans and support for their school. i mean, the student section at my high school rushed the court after a win over our rival in a high school basketball game. a lot of fun. you should try it sometime.

I agree, rushing the court is a great time. Not only to you get to show your appreciation to the players, they will often times stay on the floor and celebrate with you.

I do agree, however, that when people rush the court they need to be somewhat courteous and not trample people, push, shove, etc. Once again, as long as no one gets hurt, I don't have a problem with it.

And like Wilbon said on PTI, unless there are cops with clubs and knives waiting to hurt the people that rush the court, it cannot be stopped.

i'm sorry, but if you haven't actually rushed the court/field, can you really talk?  to me, there is nothing more passionate than college sports, especially with the fans, because it's their classmates out there.  no money (well, not supposed to be), just game.  rushing the court/field is so much fun, and such a rush, it's pure excitement.  and like the person said, as long as no one gets hurt.

"as long as no one gets hurt"... well if people didnt rush the courts NO ONE would get hurt. It's not worth losing 1 life to celebrate a victory. Though with all the adrenaline pumping, its hard not to go insane (i know cause i used to play hockey) but the only way to prevent injury, not only to the players but the fans as well, is to disallow rushing the court.

Just as they have in football and soccer games around the world, many people have died because they have been trampled over. i dont think its good enough to say "do it but make sure no one gets hurt" because not everyone is looking out for everyone else's self interest except for theirs, thats how people end up piling up on eachother and getting trampled

Rushing the court is awesome. If youve never done it, youre missing out big time.. People getting trampled is not so awesome. I think this needs to be adressed. Some things may be great fun but they just arent safe. Rushing the court is normally safe but is becoming more and more dangerous as kids get more out of control. All NCAA and High School arenas should put up some sort of disclaimer that explains the danger of rushing the court. This should also be announced over the PA system. This is common practice at baseball games and hockey games when they announce that balls and pucks may rapidly enter the stands causing severe injury. They ask that you be alert and responsible. They should say the same thing at these basketball games..

kids arent going to just stop rushing the court, its too much fun.. but if they know that if there was an injury, the team wouldnt be held responsible they might quit. Or it might just take a tragedy where 20 people get trampled and are killed like at those soccer stadiums overseas. That might be what it takes to get peoples attention.

Come on...it's not that bad. It's not like big, heavy peices of metal are coming down on a group of people (goalposts). Besides, those crazy folks across the Atlantic don't storm the field in soccer matches yet they find ways to kill each other.

Besides, it's Duke. There are certain teams that deserve a court-rushing when they are beat and Duke is one of them. If you don't want to partake in the fun, don't. But, I would slow your roll calling them morons. And at least in college basketball you can celebrate and the crowds are enthusiastic. I've been to games where you can't storm the court - talk about boring. I don't know about you, but when my team beats a top ranked team, I have a lot of energy to burn and excitement. It's better than rioting outside.

"as long as no one gets hurt"... well if people didnt rush the courts NO ONE would get hurt.

And if athletes didn't play sports, they wouldnt get hurt.

There would be no football players getting paralyzed if no one played football, sounds like a good deal, but I don't wanna go without football. Just as I don't think it would be nearly as exciting if rushing the court wasn't a part of basketball and rushing the field wasn't a part of football. Is it unfortunate if someone gets hurt doing anything?.....yes, but that doesn't mean they,or anyone else, shouldn't do what they were doing when they got hurt ever again. That would be a pretty boring life.

they need to put up mesh or glass or something to stop this stupidity

That's a good idea<<Sarcasm>>, then basketball would be just as exciting as hockey :rolleyes:

That's a good idea<<Sarcasm>>, then basketball would be just as exciting as hockey :rolleyes:

let me return your sentiment..

<<Sarcasm>>yea and putting a barrier between the fans and the game will really affect the excitement of the game :rolleyes:

Yeah, it would. What's the point of paying big money for front row seats if you have a barrier between you and the players. That would ruin that game, it would never happen.

Come on...it's not that bad. It's not like big, heavy peices of metal are coming down on a group of people (goalposts). Besides, those crazy folks across the Atlantic don't storm the field in soccer matches yet they find ways to kill each other.

Besides, it's Duke. There are certain teams that deserve a court-rushing when they are beat and Duke is one of them. If you don't want to partake in the fun, don't. But, I would slow your roll calling them morons. And at least in college basketball you can celebrate and the crowds are enthusiastic. I've been to games where you can't storm the court - talk about boring. I don't know about you, but when my team beats a top ranked team, I have a lot of energy to burn and excitement. It's better than rioting outside.

Absolutely. What better way to help your team celebrate then by damaging your team's court or ripping down the backboards forcing them to spend even more University $$$ on something other than academics.

it is bad. tons of people moving in unison is seriously dangerous.

they need to put up mesh or glass or something to stop this stupidity

i agree here.. a clear barrier would definantly solve this problem. nothing technically wrong with the fans goin on the court really.. its just that the majority of them are morons.. and get violent, destructive, and cause the rest of the peeps a bunch a grief!

Yeah, I am seeing some good points, there is a clear difference in supporting your teams and valdilism. I support court rushing in the excitement of a win to go support your players, but I disappoved of the needless destruction of equipment. However, the destruction is very rare......except in college football.....poor goal posts :no:

OMG, just STFU already. Storming the court as you say has been a tradition for ages. What next, teams that cut the net are morons too? Please.

College BBall is one, if not THE, most passionate sport around. Walling the players off because of supposed safety concerns is crazy and detracts from the atmosphere of the game and the fans who love it. If you are worried about it, don't rush. Problem solved.

Edited by Dashel

have you ever been to a hockey game? and if so, have you ever sat right down against the glass? thats friggen awesome. they check eachother into the glass right in front of your face, the puck will look like its coming right at you.. its great.. the barriers really dont make a difference

have you ever been to a hockey game? and if so, have you ever sat right down against the glass? thats friggen awesome. they check eachother into the glass right in front of your face, the puck will look like its coming right at you.. its great.. the barriers really dont make a difference

see i thought about saying the same, but i figured by his arguement so far, that he'd much rather have the puck hit him in the teeth or have the players land in his lap and crush him than have a partition that would ruin the excitement of it all

;)

They are completely different sports so your analogy is not applicable.

he's the one that made the analogy.. i'm just sticking up for hockey and im saying that a barrier doesnt pose a problem. you dont need to touch the players anyways. you can be plenty close enough while still having a barrier

I made the analogy for the purpose that I don't find hockey exciting. Anyway, there is a purpose the the barrier in hockey. 100's of people per week would be killed if that wasn't there. The safety concerns are far less in basketball. No barrier is needed, it's a rediculous idea in my opinion. When is comes to rushing the court in basketball after a game, it is your choice whether you do it or not, so knowing the risks, if you get hurt, it's your own fault. We shouldn't outlaw rushing the court because some people make poor decisions.