Linux Mint 21.2 stable ISOs are being tested since yesterday, the beta round has finished.

On 10/07/2023 at 13:07, Mindovermaster said:

I'll wait for the full release, thank you..

Of course you'll wait, you and everyone else: they haven't released any ISOs. This was just intended as a tip on something Neowin likes to write about sometimes. They like to publish articles about Linux Mint, I thought it would be interesting to know.

On 10/07/2023 at 16:24, leonsk29 said:

That's VERY subjective, but IMO Linux Mint is the best, by far.

Exactly. it's basically a better, more stripped down, Ubuntu variation. so while there is no exact Linux standard, if there was, Debian/Ubuntu base is probably the closest their is to a standard on Linux.

I won't be leaving Mint (Xfce) for the foreseeable future (it's what I got installed on all three of my computers (two desktops/one laptop) exclusively (although on my backup desktop I still kept Windows 7 around for rare usage)) as Mint's more simple/stable take on Linux as I suspect it's less likely to break and they have been around longer than most off the top of my head and I like it's 5 years of support (well technically less, probably closer to 4 years 9 months or so) as it seems many other Linux variations have 2-3 years of support.

I would say main potential negative with Mint is if your hardware is really recent it may not be supported. but even then you can install a fairly recent kernel if needed through 'sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04c' which will give you 6.1 kernel which appears to be from about Dec 2022 or Jan 2023. Mint defaults to 5.15 kernel which is from Oct/Nov 2021, so obviously if your hardware is say roughly mid-2021 or older chances are the 5.15 kernel will work. note: the Mint team recommends people stick with the default kernel (5.15) unless you have a specific reason to need a newer kernel (like newer hardware support etc).

I suggest Xfce over their flagship Cinnamon DE (desktop environment) as in my estimations it's less likely to have issues over a wider range of hardware if my experience with the handful of computers I have is any rough indication of that.

or one way to sum up Mint... if a person is coming from Windows to Linux, Mint is one of the better all-around choices since it's core interface will be familiar enough.

p.s. I currently got 95 days 7 hours of system uptime, which is my 2nd highest ever. but in a bit over 10 days from now ill have a personal record as my current record uptime is 105 days 12 hours 10 minutes (which this one ended April 6th 2023). to get those kind of uptimes I basically just temporarily ignore the currently offered NVIDIA GPU driver update. with kernel updates, I just don't reboot as those won't take effect until you reboot.

On 10/07/2023 at 20:18, ThaCrip said:

p.s. I currently got 95 days 7 hours of system uptime, which is my 2nd highest ever. but in a bit over 10 days from now ill have a personal record as my current record uptime is 105 days 12 hours 10 minutes (which this one ended April 6th 2023). to get those kind of uptimes I basically just temporarily ignore the currently offered NVIDIA GPU driver update. with kernel updates, I just don't reboot as those won't take effect until you reboot.

Seriously, WHO CARES? Why do you defer important updates that could give your OS quality of life improvements? Just for show? What's the prize?