After 30 Years, Linux Finally Hits 3% Market Share

Linux enthusiasts rejoice! After a long journey, according to StatCounter’s data, by June 2023, Linux has achieved a 3% desktop market share.

Linux has a long history that dates back more than 30 years. However, it has never been as popular among regular computer users as other operating systems such as Microsft’s Windows or Apple’s macOS.

Of course, for many years, Linux has emerged as a dominant force in the realm of server operating systems. Due to its exceptional performance, stability, reliability, and security, it has been widely adopted in server/cloud/IoT environments.

However, these days, Linux is no longer limited to these environments alone; it is rapidly gaining momentum as an operating system of choice for many desktop users, especially developers.

And the most recent figures confirm this, giving all advocates of Linux and open source in general reason to rejoice.

Source: https://linuxiac.com/linux-hits-3-percent-market-share/

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

The Linux kernel itself dominates everywhere from supercomputing and servers down to IoT. My freaking Samsung TV runs the Linux kernel. The exception is of course the desktop but Windows' weakness is showing for sure.

I have used Microsoft operating systems/Windows myself since DOS 4.01 and Windows 2.0 but my main box these days runs Linux and TBH on the verge of going Linux full time.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot
  • Like 2

On 16/07/2023 at 07:25, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

The Linux kernel itself dominates everywhere from supercomputing and servers down to IoT. My freaking Samsung TV runs the Linux kernel. The exception is of course the desktop but Windows' weakness is showing for sure.

I have used Microsoft operating systems/Windows myself since DOS 4.01 and Windows 2.0 but my main box these days runs Linux and TBH on the verge of going Linux full time.

Windows’ weakness, sure…

It’s okay to use multiple operating systems. Switch lolll

On 15/07/2023 at 22:16, binaryzero said:

Windows’ weakness, sure…

It’s okay to use multiple operating systems. Switch lolll

I am using multiple operating systems as said but see a no Windows (except at work) future.

For home, I use windows.  As well as linux, currently rocky.

At work, the majority is windows, but still have linux servers as well, here and there. 

There are like two of us that manage linux at work.  The newer, younger sysadmins don't touch it, which is odd.  Thought that linux was getting more mainstream with the younger crowd.

Though, I started with HP-UX and Solaris.

On 16/07/2023 at 00:18, theefool said:

There are like two of us that manage linux at work.  The newer, younger sysadmins don't touch it, which is odd.  Thought that linux was getting more mainstream with the younger crowd.

I thought they taught the younger sysadmins linux aside Windows. Guess not..

On 16/07/2023 at 02:12, Mindovermaster said:

I thought they taught the younger sysadmins linux aside Windows. Guess not..

... never mind...

I dumped Windows 10 for Linux Mint full-time in Jan 2019 (given the direction things are headed with Windows 11, all the more reason I am glad I made the switch). so basically I used Windows at home from 1995-2019 pretty much. I am just thankful that the small amount of windows software I use, and limited amount of games I play/replay, work on Linux (at least for games on main PC).

but when I did make the switch to Linux in Jan 2019, I waited a full year before switching pretty much all of my hard drives over from NTFS to EXT4. I waited just to make sure I was going to stick with Linux long term as initially it feels a bit foreign but after a while you get used to it and it feels normal. but installing updates is generally quicker/smoother than Windows to since you generally don't need to reboot short of kernel updates (which even once these are installed I am in no rush to reboot) or mainly NVIDIA driver updates (as with NVIDIA driver updates I don't install these until I plan on rebooting).

anyways, while that 3% is probably 'a lot' on some level as I recall it being around 2% not all that long ago, so in terms of growth it's quite a bit in a somewhat shorter period of time, even though looking at 3% straight up, is still quite small in the big scheme of things.

p.s. while I have Mint installed on all of my computers (two desktops, one laptop) I have Windows 7 installed on my old backup desktop (i.e. 120GB SSD = Linux Mint, 80GB IDE HDD = Windows 7 (updated as of Jan 2023)) purely for potential backup reasons to play a limited amount of Windows games (and somewhat for one piece of software for Microsoft Zune 30GB(I rarely use Zune 30GB but when/if I do this is the only way to transfer files to it is on Windows 7 basically)) should I need to in case my main PC ever has a issue etc.

All the main computers I use are on Linux and have been for a few years now. Do have 3 computers running Windows 10 that are not supported for Windows 11 and don't want to have to mess around with using Rufus to install it although I did on 1 computer and it ran fine.

As the saying goes, it always nice to have options/choices and my preferred choice is Linux. :)

• Like 1