Monitor banding... @165Hz

Okay... quick question here.

Anyone else ever experience static banding on their monitor that only happens at the highest refresh rate for said device?

I get, on two different monitors.. a static band, about 1 1/2" in thickness, screenwide.. left to right, about half inch down from the top. Only happens at 165hz... not 144, 120 or 60.

Two different monitors tested.. MSI, ASUS.. both work fine on other computers, until I try 165hz. 

I'm going to test them on a different card.. as the card showing the issues is an MSI 2060. When running a dual monitor setup, only the right monitor shows the banding... so I'm thinking, it's more than likely that the card can't handle 165 like it's supposed to... or possible the port closest to the board is what's causing the issue.

Yes... both run off Display Port. 

What are the makes of the monitors? Some can't do a full 165. You are stressing the monitor..

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Edited by Mindovermaster

On 26/08/2023 at 18:22, xMorpheousx416 said:

Okay... quick question here.

Anyone else ever experience static banding on their monitor that only happens at the highest refresh rate for said device?

I get, on two different monitors.. a static band, about 1 1/2" in thickness, screenwide.. left to right, about half inch down from the top. Only happens at 165hz... not 144, 120 or 60.

Two different monitors tested.. MSI, ASUS.. both work fine on other computers, until I try 165hz. 

I'm going to test them on a different card.. as the card showing the issues is an MSI 2060. When running a dual monitor setup, only the right monitor shows the banding... so I'm thinking, it's more than likely that the card can't handle 165 like it's supposed to... or possible the port closest to the board is what's causing the issue.

Yes... both run off Display Port. 

Without knowing resolution, I am going to assume 1440p. If that's true, unless the monitor is overheating, I would say the 2060 cant handle two 1440p 165hz which makes complete sense.

On 26/08/2023 at 20:23, Mindovermaster said:

What are the makes of the monitors? Some can't do a full 165. You are stressing the monitor..

First one that happened, is an MSI MAG2732... 1080/165Hz.

Second, is an ASUS TUF Gaming VG1A... again, 1080/165Hz.

On 26/08/2023 at 23:26, Sikh said:

Without knowing resolution, I am going to assume 1440p. If that's true, unless the monitor is overheating, I would say the 2060 cant handle two 1440p 165hz which makes complete sense.

I run 1080p on all monitors.

I'm testing a port theory here come tomorrow... and will try them both with a 3060Ti and a 1660 Super in 165, see if it truly is the monitor, or that port on the 2060.

Both monitors are HDR compatible, both are Gsync. Gsync is turned on, and 165Hz set for both monitors. 

When the MSI gave out... or when I noticed it would still work with 144Hz and below, it was being run on the 2060 as a single monitor. Now.. that ASUS is on that same port, but with dual monitors (and yes, they are both ASUS TUFs - same models).

On 26/08/2023 at 23:40, xMorpheousx416 said:

I run 1080p on all monitors.

I'm testing a port theory here come tomorrow... and will try them both with a 3060Ti and a 1660 Super in 165, see if it truly is the monitor, or that port on the 2060.

Both monitors are HDR compatible, both are Gsync. Gsync is turned on, and 165Hz set for both monitors. 

When the MSI gave out... or when I noticed it would still work with 144Hz and below, it was being run on the 2060 as a single monitor. Now.. that ASUS is on that same port, but with dual monitors (and yes, they are both ASUS TUFs - same models).

If both have GSYNC modules and not Gsync Compatible, they will use more resources off your GPU than normal monitors.

It could be a port thing, but I would be surprised if the 2060 wasnt equipped with 2-3 DP 1.2 ports and 1 HDMI 2.0 port. Both of these ports have way more than enough bandwidth to power 2 x 1080p 165hz monitors.}

EDIT: Hit save too early.

Based off this https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-2060-GAMING-Z-6G/Specification

You have 3 DP 1.4a and 1 HDMI 2.0b port.

DP 1.4a can handle 32.4 gbps and is rated to handle 4k 140hz. It can handle higher but with DSC.
HDMI 2.0b can handle 18gbps with a max reoslution of 4k 60hz.

As far as port tech specs go, it shouldnt be the issue. The issue could be MSI implementation (not surprising), GPU bottleneck, or it is the gsync modules putting a lot of stress on the GPU.

I know years ago when I got my first high refresh rate IPS 1440p monitor that came with a gsync module, I remember seeing people complain that they had "bought two PG279Q monitors and were having major performance issues" while I was here sitting with 1 PG279q and 2 ProArt's, all 1440p with the PG279Q at 165hz and the other two at 75hz without any issues.

I do think the gsync modules are putting a lot more stress on the GPU than it can handle. I wouldnt rule out a physical port issue either. Pins could be damaged, port itself could be bad, etc. Unlikely but possible, ive seen weirder ###### before.

Edited by Sikh

On 26/08/2023 at 23:40, xMorpheousx416 said:

Your ASUS doesn't do 165.. So.. You are stressing that monitor.

On 26/08/2023 at 22:36, Mindovermaster said:

My google search says otherwise. What are you looking at?

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 04:23, adrynalyne said:

My google search says otherwise. What are you looking at?

Was looking on the ASUS website..

• Full HD(1920 X 1080)@120Hz & 1440P (2560 x 1440)@60Hz output on PS5; Full HD &1440P(2560 x 1440)@120Hz VRR output on Xbox Series X/S

source: https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-vg27aql1a/

On 27/08/2023 at 09:35, Mindovermaster said:

Wow, you managed to pinpoint the only part of that page that isn't plastered with the words 170hz and didn't even bother to double check when someone said you were wrong. 👏👏

Edited by PmRd

I know in my time with DisplayPort I've had some cables that really didn't like higher refresh rates.

If you're testing them all with the same cable and getting the same results...well...

• Like 1

On 26/08/2023 at 20:23, Mindovermaster said:

On 27/08/2023 at 10:30, the shadows said:

That's only the console resolutions.  For PC it goes up to 170 according to that same page.

On 27/08/2023 at 10:41, PmRd said:

Wow, you managed to pinpoint the only part of that page that isn't plastered with the words 170hz and didn't even bother to double check when someone said you were wrong. 👏👏

Nice following directions. *claps*

• Facepalm 2

On 27/08/2023 at 00:36, Mindovermaster said:

1. Getting really tired of people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

2. See box below.

On 27/08/2023 at 10:56, the shadows said:

I know in my time with DisplayPort I've had some cables that really didn't like higher refresh rates.

If you're testing them all with the same cable and getting the same results...well...

I'm near the same page as you are. When I do those tests today, I'm going to use a Monster Cable Display Port cable instead of the one that came with the monitor. And I'm a firm believer that just because something is new, doesn't mean it works. Too much proof that supports that fact.

Well, MindoverMatter... here you go. Sorry your Google search didn't prove the fact I wasn't lying to you... and no, I don't post these questions to have them cause an uproar. Maybe next time, if there's something you think you're missing.. .try asking for more information before passing judgment on the final answer?

165HZ colored in Red.

IMG_20230827_131754269.jpg

And........ last but not least, MoM... you should already know, that Windows will not have the resolutions available to choose from in Settings, or the Control Panels (drivers) if said options are not compatible.

With an older MSI monitor I have that's 144Hz max, does not have the 165Hz setting options in Windows. At. All.

On 27/08/2023 at 13:24, xMorpheousx416 said:

1. Getting really tired of people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Where did I ever say that? I said in my first post, I wasn't sure if I'm correct, but that's what I THINK..

• Facepalm 2

On 27/08/2023 at 13:28, Mindovermaster said:

Where did I ever say that? I said in my first post, I wasn't sure if I'm correct, but that's what I THINK..

Implying that I'm stressing the monitor because you thought it didn't support 165. What did you "think" I was doing? Overclocking it?

On 27/08/2023 at 13:29, xMorpheousx416 said:

Implying that I'm stressing the monitor because you thought it didn't support 165. What did you "think" I was doing? Overclocking it?

You may or you may not, that is the question..

On 27/08/2023 at 13:35, Mindovermaster said:

No... I stated how the monitors are being used... just default, just the settings Windows allows them to use.

It's okay... I've provided enough info.. and after testing both monitors on the 3060Ti, I see the banding doesn't exist. So.. off to the final test. 

On 27/08/2023 at 00:29, Sikh said:

I do think the gsync modules are putting a lot more stress on the GPU than it can handle. I wouldnt rule out a physical port issue either. Pins could be damaged, port itself could be bad, etc. Unlikely but possible, ive seen weirder ###### before.

That's my final assessment as well.

If the 2060 is having issues with the first port (closest to the motherboard) and neither monitor has issues being used at their highest settings on other cards.. I'll try the second DP port (other monitor is connected on the fourth). If it continues, I'll turn G-Sync off if it's using it... and... if not, well, at least I know both work without issue using 144Hz, as I have that set on both currently.

Thanks for the input everyone.. it's appreciated. :)

On 27/08/2023 at 12:39, Mindovermaster said:

Nice following directions. *claps*

LOL. You were wrong, you were told you were wrong, and you doubled down on your wrong, didn't even bother to read the product info page you linked and kept implying the OP didn't know what they were doing and did it again even after you realized you were wrong. You managed to do the exact oppsite of helping someone.

And BTW you can't "overclock" monitors, if you set an unsuported refresh rate (something Windows doesn't even allow you to do by default) the monitor will just show a black screen with an "unsuported format" message. Maybe you should stop "thinking" because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about on multiple levels.

Edited by PmRd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/08/2023 at 20:27, adrynalyne said:

#confidentlyincorrect

I wish it were the 2K monitors... but, heh.. even with that link, those monitors support 165Hz... so, yeah.

Anyways, boys n girls... let's not get too far down the beaten path. It's all good.

On 27/08/2023 at 20:02, xMorpheousx416 said:

I wish it were the 2K monitors... but, heh.. even with that link, those monitors support 165Hz... so, yeah.

Anyways, boys n girls... let's not get too far down the beaten path. It's all good.

The only thing I can think of are cables being the cause. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 11:24, xMorpheousx416 said:

2. See box below.

I'm near the same page as you are. When I do those tests today, I'm going to use a Monster Cable Display Port cable instead of the one that came with the monitor. And I'm a firm believer that just because something is new, doesn't mean it works. Too much proof that supports that fact.

Well, MindoverMatter... here you go. Sorry your Google search didn't prove the fact I wasn't lying to you... and no, I don't post these questions to have them cause an uproar. Maybe next time, if there's something you think you're missing.. .try asking for more information before passing judgment on the final answer?

165HZ colored in Red.

IMG_20230827_131754269.jpg

And........ last but not least, MoM... you should already know, that Windows will not have the resolutions available to choose from in Settings, or the Control Panels (drivers) if said options are not compatible.

With an older MSI monitor I have that's 144Hz max, does not have the 165Hz setting options in Windows. At. All.

Just ignore him, youll be better off.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2023 at 11:56, the shadows said:

This cannot be said enough the cheap display port cables that come with monitors will often create all sort of problems. This is not like HDMI 1 where the cable was only carrying the image and if it did not work properly there was garbage in the image and it was easy to see the cable was the problem. Display port carry a lot more information than just the image and a cheap cables not able to handle the required bandwidth will often not create garbage but will lead to other problems. I had problem with the brightness of my monitor varying while enabling FreeSync and the problem ended up being the cable coming with my MSI monitor. Bought a certified cable and FreeSync works properly now.

The best is to buy certified cables. It's not really the price you pay. Expensive diamonds filled cables coated with rubies might not work properly.

https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

Edited by LaP
  • Like 1

Well, I tested every theory, cable and card I have... from the least expensive that came with them, to the most expensive.

Verdict: The 2060 can't handle it. 

Didn't matter what port, or what cable... the right side monitor will have a static band across the screen when using 165... so, for now, they'll run pretty at 144.

I mean, she's your standard MSI 2060, with no bells or whistles... so, like LaP says, it's the price you're willing to pay. But.. even the shiny new 4090s, with tons of memory and the power draw of a nuclear furnace, may not work brand new.

C'est la vie.

On 29/08/2023 at 00:40, xMorpheousx416 said:

Well, I tested every theory, cable and card I have... from the least expensive that came with them, to the most expensive.

Verdict: The 2060 can't handle it. 

Didn't matter what port, or what cable... the right side monitor will have a static band across the screen when using 165... so, for now, they'll run pretty at 144.

I mean, she's your standard MSI 2060, with no bells or whistles... so, like LaP says, it's the price you're willing to pay. But.. even the shiny new 4090s, with tons of memory and the power draw of a nuclear furnace, may not work brand new.

C'est la vie.

i doubt you'll even notice the difference between 144 and 165 anyway.

• Like 1