Monitor banding... @165Hz

Okay... I know it's been a while.

But... here's a refresh, maybe some new info may help.

Thinking it was the 2060 was also a bust. After upgrading the main computer, the second one got the 3060Ti. Still the same issue. 
Scenarios:

Left monitor is set as 1 in the settings - both set at 60hz.

image.thumb.jpeg.c3ee801ad97db5ff2780c73d096a9dd5.jpeg

Left is set to either 60/120/144 or 165, works. Right monitor goes black with anything 120 and above.

image.thumb.jpeg.4370af895b6265bf6d6b02ecbbb15e63.jpeg

Only thing I haven't tried, and I probably will tomorrow... is setting the Left monitor to the second position and dragging things around. 

Other than that, could be a Windows issue or something in the BIOS freaked out. It used to work... so this is a head scratcher. 

PCI-E port maybe? The motherboard does have two, x16 lanes... guess I could try moving the card to the second slot. 

Thoughts?

On 28/02/2024 at 22:23, xMorpheousx416 said:

Thoughts?

Bad cable seems most likely.  I had a monitor that "required" their cable but that cable degraded over time and got fun signal issues.

Port/electronics on the monitor side could be going out too.

Edited by spaceelf

On 28/02/2024 at 22:31, spaceelf said:

Bad cable seems most likely.  I had a monitor that "required" their cable but that cable degraded over time and got fun signal issues.

Port/electronics on the monitor side could be going out too.

Therein lies the rub. I have tried the basic cables that came with the monitors... and I've tried two Monster cable DP cables as well as the HDMI. Whether it's a two dollar cable or a $45 one... same.

It doesn't do this with the single monitor... if I choose to plug only one in, I can crank it up to 165 (either monitor) and she hums along nicely regardless of port on either card.

Only the dual setup is having issues at the higher refresh rates.

On 28/08/2023 at 15:27, LaP said:

This cannot be said enough the cheap display port cables [snip] will often create all sort of problems.

Just speaking for myself... I got two cheap DP cables from Ebay (not VESA certified) for a little over $10 in Sep 2021 (I only needed one and I have only used one of the two so far. but I got the other as I figured it was too cheap not to get another just in case) and had zero issues with it on my Samsung 1080p @ 144Hz monitor (Model: LC24RG50FQNXZA) from Sep/Oct 2021 until Jan 15th 2024 (so 2 years and 3-4 months) when I moved my mouse like usual to awake the monitor from sleep (as I leave my main PC running 24/7) and noticed a issue where you could see weird colored lines on parts of the image and even image retention at times (like when moving mouse pointer you could see the mouse pointer still move roughly like usual but the shape of the mouse pointer was still there in one area of the screen etc) etc and variations of this for a while (sometimes a bit worse and sometimes a bit better). basically it was obviously out of whack.

but engaging the lock-screen on Linux Mint (Xfce) would cause the monitor to do it's usual where it drops out briefly and then comes back to the lock-screen (which I think causes monitor to re-sync with GPU) and this would sometimes trigger it to go back to normal. but when I saw this for the first time I thought it was some rare fluke until it happened I think about 6 days later and started to become more frequent.

anyways, what I ended up doing, was unplug the DP cable from monitor and GPU (NVIDIA 1050 Ti 4GB) and sort of moved the cable around a bit in my hands (hoping if there is a tiny connection issue in the cable maybe it would at least temporarily fix it(?)) and then reversed the connection where the end of the DP cable that was in the monitor is now in the GPU and 'so far' the issue has not returned. but... it's only been a little over a full 8 days since I did this even though so far everything is perfect. but it's probably a bit early to tell as I figure if I can go a month or two without the issue appearing, ill probably be good for a while again.

but I guess if it starts to become a obvious problem and the issue does not appear to go away for any length of time then ill probably switch to that other cheap DP cable which is still new since I never used it at all so far. but if that acts up, then I might shell out about $15 for a VESA certified cable on Ebay (which damn sure better last). but it's ridiculous that a cable fails like this as you would think cables are pretty much cables as long as the cable works initially you would think it should stay working for a very long time as that's generally been my experience with random cables over the years/decades (granted, I get the old days stuff was more simple so I imagine stuff is not as picky and all, but still).

p.s. but when I got those cheap cables I ran a basic check on it with a multi-meter when I received them to make sure pin-20 is not connected as I heard that can cause issues... https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/the-displayport-pin-20-issue-explained/

• Like 1

Well... after looking at a few more things, raising up the frequency consumes more power. Ramp that with two monitors and we're using even more... the system has a Corsair RM750, so I didn't think this would be an issue. Funny thing.. one site recommended one video card per monitor if you want to run them all at higher frequencies... but beggars can't be choosers. :)

If it's a power related problem... that may leave me with:

Bad PCI-E power cable connecting the video card.
Bad PCI-E port on the motherboard and it's 75w(?) power going to the card. 
Bad PCI-E port on the power supply.

Money wise... I'm hoping it's a bad cable to the power supply.

On 29/02/2024 at 12:21, xMorpheousx416 said:

Well... after looking at a few more things, raising up the frequency consumes more power. Ramp that with two monitors and we're using even more... the system has a Corsair RM750, so I didn't think this would be an issue. Funny thing.. one site recommended one video card per monitor if you want to run them all at higher frequencies... but beggars can't be choosers. :)

I don't remember you saying this, but what is your PSU? Maker, Wattage?

On 29/02/2024 at 15:56, Mindovermaster said:

I don't remember you saying this, but what is your PSU? Maker, Wattage?

It's literally in what you quoted....

the system has a Corsair RM750

On 29/02/2024 at 12:21, xMorpheousx416 said:

Can you install a fresh copy of Windows (on like a secondary drive) loading up just the display drivers (and other system drivers) ... to rule out a Windows issue (without reinstalling Windows..ha).

'cause I have no idea.  Been following this thread...but didn't have any helpful information that others hadn't already posted.  My 3080ti is running two monitors @ 1440p and 165Hz and never seen that kind of issue.

Really doubt it could be a power issue if you aren't having any other stability issues....but yeah.  Just curious what a fresh Windows install would do, on a second drive, ... 8x, 10, 11...whatever.

• Like 2

Hello,

A few things to check, in no particular order:

One (or more) of those will help you identify the source of the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 18:02, Jim K said:

Can you install a fresh copy of Windows (on like a secondary drive) loading up just the display drivers (and other system drivers) ... to rule out a Windows issue (without reinstalling Windows..ha).

I could... that would require some serious time.. but it's possible. I've already tried using a different profile (Admin) and that didn't work.

On 29/02/2024 at 18:02, Jim K said:

It's literally in what you quoted....

Forgive M.o.M... for he knows not what he reads. 😂

On 01/03/2024 at 04:08, goretsky said:

Hello,

A few things to check, in no particular order:

One (or more) of those will help you identify the source of the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

When I was working with the 2060... there were no available firmware updates and the ASUS motherboard is on her latest BIOS firmware. However, now I'll be working with the 3060Ti... seeing as this issue is now been thru three different cards (I also tested it with our older 1660 Super), I am slowly being convinced... it may not be the card(s). 

Hence... thinking power supply or possibly the cable from the PSU to the card. The 2060 required an 8pin/6pin combo whereas the 3060Ti only requires the 8pin (go figure that one). Same cable used with both cards, so this weekend I can try a new cable... and check to see if there's another 8pin rail on the PSU to try out. 

I still have a lingering question in the back of my mind... cards that share the PCI-E power (75w) from the board and PSU, what powers what? I've never studied the designs of GPU circuit board to understand if it's an equal combination or if the engineers say "the board will power this, and the PSU will power that".. so at this point, it's either the PCI-E slot the card is in, or the PSU in some shape or form.

Remember... it all used to work. Then that second monitor went from 165... to 144, to 120... and now only works on 60hz. Each time it worked for a while then started with small banding and now it's a near full screen blackout. But... what would life be if the issue wasn't interesting to figure out? ;)

On 01/03/2024 at 10:38, xMorpheousx416 said:

Forgive M.o.M... for he knows not what he reads. 😂

Starting that up again.. 😳

• Haha 1

Alright... final conclusion.

After doing some more theoretical testing... it came down to Windows 11 not allowing it to happen. If I clone (duplicate) them, they can use any refresh rate. However... extending them causes the issue. 

Will I wipe out Windows and start it all from scratch? Tune in next year after Windows 12 has been released to find out.

(it's my daughter's PC... and just has way too many games and settings to mess with and I don't have the time to put into it right now - heck, this all started back in Aug 23)

Now... for those of you that contributed to this crazy walk thru silicon hell, I appreciate all your theories and advice. Thank you. :)

On 02/03/2024 at 06:56, DKAngel said:

have u possibly once thought the monitors are faulty?

Yes.

That's why there were tested individually... and, as posted.. they both run at 165 in duplicate (clone) mode or by themselves without any issue. I wouldn't ever claim that because something is new, it should be working perfectly... I've seen old products run circles around tech fresh off the assembly line. 

No worries though... if it comes down to it, I can always reinstall Windows or try a repair installation.