CSV / QBO to IIF converter.

One additional thing I'm seeing. The account field cannot be more than I think 25 characters it look like. The IIF generator will chop off the account name if it is too long, and when it's imported, another account is created to the chopped. That's happening with only a handful of accounts who's name's are too long. If no fix is possible, I'll just shorten up about 5 of my account names. Thx!

On 18/05/2024 at 22:17, Jason Doster said:

- A transaction item given name had a "#" in front upon json creation that needs to be removed, and then of course given the appropriate syntax to line up with a record you want from the transaction list. That was easy, but took a bit as I was going through 250 patterns imported.

Yep, that was intentional . This stops unintentional matchings. If you had hundreds of transactions and loaded the pattern file, something might match that you didn't mean to have matched. This way, you have to intentionally remove the #.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 13:03, Jason Doster said:

In the PATTERN load, would it be possible to place the OLD matched transaction name into the MEMO line for reference after the transaction has been matched and has a new transaction name

Thx! Jason

image.thumb.png.8542375975748d4b0cc023b7129f1250.png

• Like 2

On 19/05/2024 at 15:32, Jason Doster said:

One additional thing I'm seeing. The account field cannot be more than I think 25 characters it look like. The IIF generator will chop off the account name if it is too long, and when it's imported, another account is created to the chopped. That's happening with only a handful of accounts who's name's are too long. If no fix is possible, I'll just shorten up about 5 of my account names. Thx!

I tried an account name with 32 characters and it didn' t get cut off on the export *shrugs*

Copy. It probably is 32 lines, including the number up front, not 25.

An Example. This particular account gets cut off when I do an IIF import:

6170 - Computer and Internet Expenses

gets cut off to:

6170 - Computer and Internet Ex

So, I guess that is about 32 characters. Is that the limit for IIF? If it is, I'll just change about 5 of my account names.

Also, understand on the 4.1beta, you're reading my mind man. I'll take a look.

Thx!

Jason

On 20/05/2024 at 16:08, Jason Doster said:

Copy. It probably is 32 lines, including the number up front, not 25.

An Example. This particular account gets cut off when I do an IIF import:

6170 - Computer and Internet Expenses

gets cut off to:

6170 - Computer and Internet Ex

So, I guess that is about 32 characters. Is that the limit for IIF? If it is, I'll just change about 5 of my account names.

Also, understand on the 4.1beta, you're reading my mind man. I'll take a look.

Thx!

Jason

It's not cutting off for me.  I tried both a Quickbooks Bank account name and an account name. Both aren't getting cut off. If it's getting cut off in the import, it must be a Quickbooks restriction because it appears to be getting recorded correctly in the if file.

image.thumb.png.15ff26728b0c36e3af110673e01e0098.png

image.png.d857e3b7df5b62f8aebcae8b6767b367.png

Since it appears Quickbooks allows a max of 31 Characters for the account name the program checks for that and throws a message if you try to go above that.

image.png.c95da2b8cd84ad368a4277397fb49c8d.png

Got it. Yeah, it's interesting, up until now I've been able to keep longer account names within QBDT 2021 without issue, and works fine with online banking tools. I'll size them all down. Thx. 

I think this is a Quickbooks IIF versus QBO limitation. The limits are different. Interesting.

On 21/05/2024 at 12:06, Jason Doster said:

I think this is a Quickbooks IIF versus QBO limitation. The limits are different. Interesting.

Also released Beta 10

It now takes dates such as 2024-04-30T07:00:00+00:00 and and replaces it with 2024-04-30

I saw one bank that was dumb enough to include that date. if left as is, Quickbooks freaks out.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2024 at 12:06, Jason Doster said:

Added in new Beta 11 .....I really have to feature lock 4.1

A new mapping feature that helps you make incompatible CSV's compatible.

image.thumb.png.e55e0567d691e54b71b20c083a8a4658.png

• Like 1

Created an account just to post this.   I saw this software a couple weeks ago but didn't get to try it until this weekend.   First of all.  Thanks for creating and posting this.   I have QB2021 and thats blowing up on 5/31 and they no longer offer a reasonable desktop version so this is a godsend if it works.   (I had some issues but turns out your beta has the memo thing added so lucky me, bleeding edge)

I was hoping this will also help me with my quicken2017 qif issues but tunrs out QIF and IIF formats are quite different.  I have been getting around it for now with my home made unix scripts.  (I am running qbooks and quicken in virtual windows under mac)

Again.  Thanks!   Was gonna email you but lost the email address so there.   

• Like 1

On 25/05/2024 at 14:57, rorozoro said:

Created an account just to post this.   I saw this software a couple weeks ago but didn't get to try it until this weekend.   First of all.  Thanks for creating and posting this.   I have QB2021 and thats blowing up on 5/31 and they no longer offer a reasonable desktop version so this is a godsend if it works.   (I had some issues but turns out your beta has the memo thing added so lucky me, bleeding edge)

I was hoping this will also help me with my quicken2017 qif issues but tunrs out QIF and IIF formats are quite different.  I have been getting around it for now with my home made unix scripts.  (I am running qbooks and quicken in virtual windows under mac)

Again.  Thanks!   Was gonna email you but lost the email address so there.   

Hi, I recently pulled version 4 and 4.1, which had an issue where split transactions weren't getting recorded to the IIF file, so I released 4.2 beta. That includes the fix.

image.thumb.png.1acb3425656a338ac0814598a8079fc6.png

I contributed $50 to ya. I'll contribute another $50 in a month or so, thanks for your work.

Noticed one thing about 4.2. Unlike 4.0, the option to import QBO information, modify the name field, THEN use a PATTERN file, doesn't seem to work. It does work in 4.0. Right now I'm using 4.2 for most things, love the additional creature comforts you added. When I need to change a generic CHECK or DEPOSIT into something to apply a PATTERN file to, I go back to 4.0 in order to do that currently. For your SA.

Thx!

On 02/06/2024 at 12:29, Jason Doster said:

I contributed $50 to ya. I'll contribute another $50 in a month or so, thanks for your work.

Noticed one thing about 4.2. Unlike 4.0, the option to import QBO information, modify the name field, THEN use a PATTERN file, doesn't seem to work. It does work in 4.0. Right now I'm using 4.2 for most things, love the additional creature comforts you added. When I need to change a generic CHECK or DEPOSIT into something to apply a PATTERN file to, I go back to 4.0 in order to do that currently. For your SA.

Thx!

Yes, I had to remove that in 4.2 because in 4.0 and 4.1, the splits were broken and were not being recorded because of how the name was being recorded. All you have to do now is click the account box, and you should still be able to edit the name and account.

• Like 1

@Jason Doster

image.png.c3908dc954d085f8bf0bacbfd9004c08.png

• New: Added the option to import autocomplete data using account list and vendor list from Quickbooks into Autocomplete options.
  • New: Added a help button that says "How do I create an account or vendor CSV file?" it gives you instructions how to create the file.
  • New: Renamed clear autocomplete data to Autocomplete Options
  • New: Autocomplete added to the "Replace with" field of the pattern editor.
  • New: Unified Autocomplete. The pattern editor and the main app now share the same autocomplete data via autocomplete.json. The pattern file data no longer gets added to the autocomplete when you load the file into the main app but instead when it gets loaded into the pattern editor and when items are being added or updated.
  • Like 1

Love the tool now that Quickbooks has gone insane and jacked up the pricing over 3x for Desktop Pro, but I'm confused about what a Debit offset account is. I never had to use this with bank imports with Chase. Bottom left of every transaction - huh?

On 07/06/2024 at 18:30, archon810 said:

Love the tool now that Quickbooks has gone insane and jacked up the pricing over 3x for Desktop Pro, but I'm confused about what a Debit offset account is. I never had to use this with bank imports with Chase. Bottom left of every transaction - huh?

You actually set that account when the program opens for the first time. It's just a holding account in Quickbooks before being categorized into a specific account, such as food or automobile expenses. In my case, I put it in "premierEcorp debit offset." Then, after I import, I go into that account in QuickBooks, where I find all the accounts that have not been handled yet. My bank always used "PremierEcorp debit offset" in the iif file they used to give me.

Chase may have specified a different account.

Sent a second payment to ya. Thx for your efforts! I hope may more folks have started to see what you've done....if so many will be able to use indefinitely older versions of Quickbooks and survive just fine without paying exorbitant amounts each year for basic capability in an accounting system. Jason