Microsoft should add Copilot to Windows 10

For many in academia (students, professors, researchers, etc.), Copilot is a godsend.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft is keeping Copilot to Windows 11 since many PCs don't meet the system requirements.

Yes, those on Windows 10 could use the browser instead to access Bing Chat, but that is just an extra hassle.

Microsoft should add Copilot to Windows 10.

• Facepalm 3

On 29/10/2023 at 15:27, virtorio said:

Opening a web browser is too much hassle for students in 2023?

No, but shuffling around a bunch of open apps is.

On 29/10/2023 at 16:28, Dick Montage said:

Hey let’s backport it to XP while we are at it…

Windows XP has a market share of 0.34% of all Windows versions.

• Facepalm 4

On 29/10/2023 at 16:44, Dick Montage said:

And is also about as consumer supported as 10. 

You didn't make a meaningful sentence by randomly jumbling English words together.

• Facepalm 1

On 29/10/2023 at 18:22, adrynalyne said:

Let them learn how to open a web browser. 

This is a stupid response.

Just because something can be found on the internet doesn't mean that it isn't handy to have it built into the operating system.

That's why Windows has a built-in Mail, Calculator, Calendar, etc.

• Dislike 2

On 29/10/2023 at 18:33, Mockingbird said:

This is a stupid response.

Just because something can be found on the internet doesn't mean that it isn't handy to have it built into the operating system.

That's why Windows has a built-in Mail app, Calculator app, etc.

A stupid response that is fitting for a stupid thread. 

On 29/10/2023 at 18:34, adrynalyne said:

A stupid response that is fitting for a stupid thread. 

You are not mandated to participate in this thread.

You chose to do so.

If you don't want to participate, you can leave.

• Dislike 2

On 29/10/2023 at 18:39, Mockingbird said:

You are not mandated to participate in this thread.

You choose to do so.

Yep. I am commenting on the stupid idea. You can opt not to read it. Or you can use your head instead and realize that CoPilot in Windows 11 is nothing more than a buggy, slow, and crappy web app. You want to bring that garbage into Windows 10?🙄

• Like 3

On 29/10/2023 at 18:41, adrynalyne said:

Yep. I am commenting on the stupid idea. You can opt not to read it. Or you can use your head instead and realize that CoPilot in Windows 11 is nothing more than a buggy, slow, and crappy web app. You want to bring that garbage into Windows 10?🙄

Copilot provides a nice shortcut to Bing Chat.

It's very convenient for quickly finding information.

On 29/10/2023 at 18:45, Mockingbird said:

Copilot provides a nice shortcut to Bing Chat.

It's very convenient for quickly finding information.

Makes you wonder how people ever survived in the past with book marks. 

On 29/10/2023 at 18:48, adrynalyne said:

Makes you wonder how people ever survived in the past with book marks. 

How did people survive before personal computers existed?

How did people survive before phones existed?

How did people survive before industrial agriculture existed?

Obviously, people can survive, but new inventions made their lives more convenient, freeing up more time to do something else.

On 29/10/2023 at 18:53, Mockingbird said:

How did people survive before personal computers existed?

How did people survive before phones existed?

How did people survive before industrial agriculture existed?

Obviously, people can survive, but new inventions made their lives more convenient, freeing up more time to do something else.

It’s…not a new invention? It’s a web app. It runs better on the browser and as a bonus, you get the resources back when you close it. If they just need a shortcut, they can make a bookmark. Or use edge and turn it into their own app. Academia shouldn’t need their hand held and need a buggy web app preinstalled, for obvious reasons. 

On 29/10/2023 at 18:58, adrynalyne said:

It’s…not a new invention? It’s a web app. It runs better on the browser and as a bonus, you get the resources back when you close it. If they just need a shortcut, they can make a bookmark. Or use edge and turn it into their own app. Academia shouldn’t need their hand held, for obvious reasons. 

As I said before, just because something can be found on the internet doesn't mean that it isn't handy to have it built into the operating system.

For example, we have a mail app, a calendar app, a weather app, etc.

Sure, you could open a browser to access your email, calendar, weather, etc. but it sure is handy to have them built into the operating system.

• Facepalm 1

On 29/10/2023 at 19:05, Mockingbird said:

As I said before, just because something can be found on the internet doesn't mean that it isn't handy to have it built into the operating system.

For example, we have a mail app, a calendar app, a weather app, etc.

Sure, you could open a browser to access your email, calendar, weather, etc. but it sure is handy to have them built into the operating system.

While I am happy that you don’t mind web apps being built into an OS, it’s foolish to think everyone else feels the same way. Have you considered using ChromeOS? It sounds like you would be at home with it. 

It takes the same amount of time to click a shortcut to a book mark as it does opening Copilot, with a better experience. 

On 29/10/2023 at 19:08, adrynalyne said:

While I am happy that you don’t mind web apps being built into an OS, it’s foolish to think everyone else feels the same way.

Where did I say that everyone would feel like I do?

On 29/10/2023 at 19:08, adrynalyne said:

Have you considered using ChromeOS? It sounds like you would be at home with it. 

No. I would have to boot into Windows to do molecular modeling and then reboot into ChromeOS to do something else.

It's just a huge hassle.

I believe Windows 10 is feature complete and they're winding down to it's EOL in 2025, it doesn't really make sense to take resources away from improving/fixing Windows 11 and development on Windows 12 to add new features to an OS that will be out of support in 2 years.(ignoring LTSB versions of course)

On 29/10/2023 at 19:15, Mockingbird said:

Where did I say that everyone would feel like I do?

No. I would have to boot into Windows to do molecular modeling and then reboot into ChromeOS to do something else.

It's just a huge hassle.

Why does everyone assume that they had to say something, for something else to be said? So weird. I was talking in general. Web apps are ass. 

• Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 19:18, adrynalyne said:

Why does everyone assume that they had to say something, for something else to be said? So weird. I was talking in general. Web apps are ass. 

What?