Microsoft should add Copilot to Windows 10

On 29/10/2023 at 19:16, JaredFrost said:

I believe Windows 10 is feature complete and they're winding down to it's EOL in 2025, it doesn't really make sense to take resources away from improving/fixing Windows 11 and development on Windows 12 to add new features to an OS that will be out of support in 2 years.(ignoring LTSB versions of course)

I would feel the same way and tell everyone to upgrade to Windows 11, but the (arbitrary) system requirements that Microsoft imposed on Windows 11 mean that the majority of PCs can't run Windows 11 and are stuck on Windows 10.

Edited by Mockingbird

On 30/10/2023 at 15:24, Mockingbird said:

I would feel the same way and tell everyone to upgrade to Windows 11 except that the (arbitrary) system requirements that Microsoft imposed on Windows 11 mean that the majority of PCs can't run Windows 11 and are stuck on Windows 10.

I don't know how arbitrary it is, but luckily my PC just makes the cut even though it's a 7th Gen but it and my motherboard supports TPM 2.0, so it's supported.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice, but I understand why they've done what they've done, and the line has to be somewhere and no matter where you put the line someone isn't going to be happy about it.

Probably the bigger issue in my mind is in 2 years, when we either have mounds of e-waste that didn't need to exist yet and/or far too many outdated and insecure OS' connected to the internet, I doubt many will move to Linux/ChromiumOS to live out life until death.

No thanks. I didn't use Clippy, I don't use Cortana, and I don't want another piece of software foisted on me.

If they made it optional then sure. I just wouldn't install it. But it's Microsoft, if they implemented it for Windows 10 then we would all have to suffer.

On 30/10/2023 at 06:28, Nick H. said:

No thanks. I didn't use Clippy, I don't use Cortana, and I don't want another piece of software foisted on me.

If they made it optional then sure. I just wouldn't install it. But it's Microsoft, if they implemented it for Windows 10 then we would all have to suffer.

Couldn't agree more!

On 30/10/2023 at 03:28, Nick H. said:

Clippy can't answer complex biology and chemistry questions.

Comparing Copilot/Bing Chat to Clippy is like comparing an airplane to a kite.

• Facepalm 1

On 30/10/2023 at 12:26, Mockingbird said:

Clippy can't answer complex biology and chemistry questions.

Comparing Copilot/Bing Chat to Clippy is like comparing an airplane to a kite.

I think you misunderstood why I brought up Clippy and Cortana. I know that they might not be the same as Copilot. But Clippy and Cortana have been useless tools for me that Microsoft have bundled into their software because they think they know better. I don't use Copilot, I have no intention of using Copilot. So why should I have to have it on my system?

As I said before, if they made it an optional installation then fine. But Microsoft wouldn't do that, so I disagree with the idea that it should be added to Windows 10.

• Like 3

On 29/10/2023 at 18:19, Mockingbird said:

For many in academia (students, professors, researchers, etc.), Copilot is a godsend.
It's unfortunate that Microsoft is keeping Copilot to Windows 11 since many PCs don't meet the system requirements.

New software tools sometimes call for hardware upgrades. Hardware upgrades are sometimes part of the cost of research and education.

Microsoft has nothing to gain from developing new features on an old operating system, even if the old OS has a high market share as they would want to push folks to their newest offering where possible.

/thread

• Like 4

On 30/10/2023 at 02:15, Mockingbird said:

Where did I say that everyone would feel like I do?

When you told someone with a differing opinion that they could choose to not participate.  That's what you were suggesting, and any denial will only be nonsense.

On 30/10/2023 at 07:02, Nick H. said:

I think you misunderstood why I brought up Clippy and Cortana. I know that they might not be the same as Copilot. But Clippy and Cortana have been useless tools for me that Microsoft have bundled into their software because they think they know better. I don't use Copilot, I have no intention of using Copilot. So why should I have to have it on my system?

As I said before, if they made it an optional installation then fine. But Microsoft wouldn't do that, so I disagree with the idea that it should be added to Windows 10.

You can uninstall Cortana and many other built-in apps.

On 30/10/2023 at 12:04, Mockingbird said:

Where is the uninstall option for Copilot? Before you answer, using winget or PowerShell, or disabling via policy is not a reasonable answer for the average user. 

• Like 2

On 30/10/2023 at 19:04, Mockingbird said:

Could you please supply the easy "uninstall" directions for doing that? Because an individual cannot do it so easily:

image.png.8c68467ad0d0c4b6b17c881c6e15575d.png

That's to disable it, and it still takes up my system's resources.

Copilot should be a standalone application, that hooks into the OS, browsers, Office etc when installed. But it should definitely not be part of the base operating system. Sadly that will not play into the data mining aspect of Windows.

If Microsoft offered a base Windows product that provides the core functionality without the telemetry and "online services", I would pay a premium for it.

On 30/10/2023 at 15:03, Nick H. said:

Could you please supply the easy "uninstall" directions for doing that? Because an individual cannot do it so easily:

That's to disable it, and it still takes up my system's resources.

Go to Settings --> Apps --> Installed Apps

Select Cortana and choose Uninstall.