Windows 10 vs 11

My system can upate to Win11, but the last I recall reading about 11 was that it was not very good for gaming. I'll admit that I have not done anymore research on this subject, but, I would like an unbiased opinion of 10 vs 11 and why one might be better than the other. Thanks!

On 22/12/2023 at 19:50, jnelsoninjax said:

My system can upate to Win11, but the last I recall reading about 11 was that it was not very good for gaming. I'll admit that I have not done anymore research on this subject, but, I would like an unbiased opinion of 10 vs 11 and why one might be better than the other. Thanks!

You heard wrong. It's very good for gaming.

• Like 2

On 22/12/2023 at 17:50, jnelsoninjax said:

Windows 11 is great for gaming.  Not sure why someone would say it wasn't.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 20:47, devHead said:

Windows 11 is great for gaming.  Not sure why someone would say it wasn't.

I am not sure, but this would've been around the time it just came out, so maybe it was a one off? IDK, I was asking for claification.

That would have been around the time when the new CPU architectures weren't fully supported and lost performance, they solved all that after a few months? they just needed a little time to work out the kinks

• Thanks 2

Personally, solid gaming on Windows 11

Ryzen 7 5800X
AMD B550 Chipset
DDR4 64gb 3600 CL18 RAM (16*4)
Geforce 2070 Super
Onboard Audio w/ Wired Headset
Win 11 Pro

Was also great before minor upgrades (why these happened was an unplanned saga)

Ryzen 7 5800X
AMD X470 Chipset
DDR4 32gb 3200 CL16 RAM (16*2)
Geforce 2070 Super
Win 11 Pro

Honestly, I don't need anywhere near the 64gb of ram for gaming,
Ram was so cheap at the time, bought 64gb, moved the 32 to a different system.

Edited by Eternal Tempest

On 23/12/2023 at 02:05, Jose_49 said:

Yes Windows 11 is solid in terms of performance.

The problem with Windows 11 that we all complain about is UX.

Which makes no sense, it has a better UI than 10... 

On 24/12/2023 at 06:39, Matthew S. said:

Apathy. They push things out before they are ready. I’m sure much of it is the diminished QA, but a large part is them shrugging their shoulders and pushing it. That’s not just Windows either. WinUI3 has serious performance issues and it’s all on MS yet they used it for File Explorer? This whole, ship it and optimize later* like video game releases needs to stop. 

*optional.

On 24/12/2023 at 10:33, adrynalyne said:

Apathy. They push things out before they are ready. I’m sure much of it is the diminished QA, but a large part is them shrugging their shoulders and pushing it. That’s not just Windows either. WinUI3 has serious performance issues and it’s all on MS yet they used it for File Explorer? This whole, ship it and optimize later* like video game releases needs to stop. 

*optional.

It isn't seen as frequently on windows 10, but the same situation happens on Windows 10 with occasional bad monthly cumulative updates.

Windows 11 gets brand new features changes, were Windows 10 is much more static / fixed in place. It's still getting some new features, such as copilot and some AI stuff.

The way windows 11 is modular, and they keep adding / removing / changing features, I don't see Windows 12 to be any different (for the skip 11, try 12 instead advise) on top of the first 6-12 months teething issues any "new" Microsoft OS has. My guess it's Windows 11 with all the shiny new AI integration.

I don't disagree, diminished QA (compared to past OS's), the faster pace, has made being on Windows a little more rough on the edges, but I see that being the new norm for now, and the old norm of being on a solid stable Microsoft OS is pretty much over when Win 10 reaches EOL, unless MS has a radical culture change in the future. Windows 10 is solid, but you can only use it safely for about 1 more year, unless you shell out $$$$ to pay for extended security updates.

The only other option to go to a truly stable OS, is to switch eco systems, such as a carefully select Linux distro that fits your needs. That switch, comes with other challenges. Linux can meet some gaming needs, depending on what you play and your technical skills.

@jnelsoninjax

Edit - If you want to bring back the Windows 10 style of start menu (Or Windows 7,8, or tweaked 11) I suggest Start11 - https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/

I haven't used it, but there's also Open Shell (opensource / freeware) - https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

I don't hate the Windows 11 start menu, I did prefer the Windows 10 start menu.

Edited by Eternal Tempest

On 24/12/2023 at 14:07, KZ7S2zj9XS2MKs5 said:

linux

It can be, is there a specific distro you recommend for gaming?

On 24/12/2023 at 10:33, adrynalyne said:

*optional.

Unfortunately thats the issue with most dev houses these days with falling for the trend of "agile", actually screw it not just dev houses, all of IT...

On 24/12/2023 at 08:39, Matthew S. said:

That is a valid subjective MINORITY opinion.

On 25/12/2023 at 04:59, adrynalyne said:

Then why are you saying Linux?

You are wasting your time... That person is 48 comments in and hasn't posted anything worth while reading yet. There was a time when trolls at least put an effort in.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 24/12/2023 at 14:39, Matthew S. said:

It's prettier, and the animations are swift and smooth. Which is a nice touch.

But in usability, there are some caveats (looking at the taskbar and Start):

Note, that this impacts my workflow and may not be a deal breaker for everyone else:

Things take additional number  of clicks taken to do the same thing:

1. Connecting to WiFi,
  2. Changing battery performance
  3. Calendar and notifications are bundled up (which can be a pro/con depending on your situation)
  4. Can't move the taskbar from position
  5. There are no jump lists on the start items

I do have to admit they've addressed many concerns over the last year.

I move a lot and used to toggle settings quite a few times.

Performance is going to be more or less the same-ish, going to be a little variance but nothing to really get upset about either way. For me, it boils down to which one you can live with more. I really want to like Windows 11, lots of nice additions to it since 10. But there's (again, opinion) a lot of unwanted additions too. 11 is quite a "fluid target" right now, going through a lot of changes. Depending on your level of tweakery some stuff may break with updates. Just reading the Neowin front page you'll see that Microsoft has a rather poor track record at updates being bug free. And man-oh-man I really hate what Microsoft is doing shoving Bing and AI into every possible place it can, never mind Edge acting as borderline malware at times.

I prefer a stable base that's going to not go under any crazy changes. My gaming rig is running Windows 10 LTSC 2021, added the store, WSA and WSL, very pleased with it, and it's never going to get any major feature updates. If you don't have access to that (not a lot do, well legally anyway), just 10 in general for me. Either way, it's been rock solid, and does everything I need it to do.

Linux is an option too, I'm a KDE Plasma fanboy, currently running EndeavourOS. But, not going to lie and quote the rhetoric. It's not going to be your be-all-end-all gaming solution. Lots of games run quite well. Lots don't, some are wonky and some just won't plain run.  Hardware compatibility can be problematic. It's nowhere as simple as Windows click-click-done installations, there can be some finicky installs that take some research.  KWin and nVidia.. sometimes really wish I bought an AMD card.

That said, I love the containerized setup you'll get with Wine and/or Lutris. Each game will have it's own little place in the filesystem, easy to clean up and maintain, versus some random game vomiting files all over your filesystem with zero consistency. Not saying don't go for it as I really don't like where Microsoft is headed lately, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows in Linux-land either. The end result is definitely worth it, but the journey to get there is potentially significantly longer and bumpier.

The main issue with Windows 11 is the buggy UI; primarily Explorer. Windows 10 is a stable OS and is a bit more configurable than Windows 11.  Benchmarks are pretty much neck and neck 10 vs 11, so it's not like one performs better than the other.

If you have Windows 10 installed, there's really not any benefit to upgrading to 11.  Win 11 launched over 2 years ago and they're still slowly fixing bugs and making improvements. Not a great look.  Windows 12 is supposed to be coming in 2024, but I wouldn't hold your breathe for that to magically fix all of 11's shortcomings.

• Thanks 1

On 25/12/2023 at 22:51, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

You are wasting your time... That person is 48 comments in and hasn't posted anything worth while reading yet. There was a time when trolls at least put an effort in.

hey, it me

dont say anything bad about me, follow the laws please

https://www.report-it.org.uk/reporting_internet_hate_crime

Windows 11 is great for gaming. I'm rolling with the following setup which is working flawlessly.

• AMD Ryzen 3800X
  • 32 GB RAM @3200MHz
  • AMD 5700 XT

The above works great when playing on a 1440p monitor with most games at 60 Hz refresh rate. Some games are excellent going beyond that refresh rate with this setup too.