Windows 10 vs 11

Solid Gaming Performance even on my 2020 Intel I7 10700 Build, with 32GB of DDR4 Ram,  Geforce 1660 Super,   500GB NvMe Boot Drive,  1TB Game Sata SSD (Samsung 860 Evo 1TB)  and 4TB Storage drive

Though do plan on hardware upgrade sometime in late 2024 or early 2025 if i can get the funds saved to get exactly what want in terms of CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply, and Video Card, probably gonna be a big expense if i decide to jump from DDR4 to DDR5, but will see on that.   For now happy with this systems performance

According to our own benchmarks linked earlier in this topic, the differences are marginal.

If you prefer an OS with a bunch of core features that are unfinished and buggy (like the File Explorer) and other inbox apps that lack "polish" go for the pretty Windows 11. If you want stability of the OS in a more "finished" state then go with Windows 10. You might gain or lose 10fps either way, but that sort of difference is also seen between driver updates on the same OS as well.

Unless there is a specific Windows 11-only feature that a game requires, and I missed, then I am not sure why Windows 11 "is best for gaming" it certainly looks pretty, but I couldn't stand the buggy state of the OS so I went back to Windows 10 with my AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D and 7900XFX GPU.

I Originally clean Installed Windows 11 on October 6th 2021 on my then Sata SSD, then Christmas did my 2nd clean install since upgraded Boot Drive to NvMe Drive.    Originally got it as a friend was getting a system with Windows 11 Pre installed, so i figured in case i get asked support question, i better learn the OS myself.       

Sure with every OS there is always quirks and bugs that are worked out later,  though i am the type to stick to an OS and live with the minor bugs and items that lack polish,  never been the type of person to Downgrade Operating System from Newer to Older,  i believe would drive me nuts if i ever did lol.    As for Windows 11 Only Feature not that i know of at least with my games,  but for I myself i am happy with Windows 11 Pro.   

Though each and everyone has different tastes, hardware, and such, so in the end use what feels best and works well for there particular hardware and software programs 

Here's two Windows 11 gaming advantages over windows 10, however, they are highly hardware and game specific at the moment.

Auto HDR (Not Found in Windows 10)

"Though many newer games are developed for HDR, some older games are SDR only, such as games that use DirectX 11 or DirectX 12. But with Auto HDR, that changes. When you turn on Auto HDR, the color range and brightness is automatically increased to HDR."
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-auto-hdr-for-better-gaming-in-windows-0cce8402-3de5-4512-a742-e027ca7aa79c

Requirements 

• Direct 11 & 12 based SDR (Standard Definition) Video Game
  • 4k/HDR Monitor

(Better) Direct Storage Support
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-1-1-coming-soon/

Requirements

• Game that Supports Direct Storage
  • Video Card DX12 with Shared Moder 6
  • NVMe SSD (Typically PCI Express 4 or higher) and fast read speeds, think the one's required for installing in the PlayStation 5.

This one is is as impactful, as not a lot of games now support the feature now but expect future games will in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/12/2023 at 01:31, Eternal Tempest said:

Here's two Windows 11 gaming advantages over windows 10, however, they are highly hardware and game specific at the moment.

Auto HDR (Not Found in Windows 10)

"Though many newer games are developed for HDR, some older games are SDR only, such as games that use DirectX 11 or DirectX 12. But with Auto HDR, that changes. When you turn on Auto HDR, the color range and brightness is automatically increased to HDR."
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-auto-hdr-for-better-gaming-in-windows-0cce8402-3de5-4512-a742-e027ca7aa79c

Requirements 

• Direct 11 & 12 based SDR (Standard Definition) Video Game
  • 4k/HDR Monitor

(Better) Direct Storage Support
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-1-1-coming-soon/

Requirements

• Game that Supports Direct Storage
  • Video Card DX12 with Shared Moder 6
  • NVMe SSD (Typically PCI Express 4 or higher) and fast read speeds, think the one's required for installing in the PlayStation 5.

This one is is as impactful, as not a lot of games now support the feature now but expect future games will in the near future.

My Next Platform upgrade definitely gonna support Direct Storage & have hopefully more M.2 Slots so i can have 1 NVMe drive for Boot, and 1 for Game storage only hopefully in a PCie 4 NVMe slot

right now my Intel 10700 doesn't support PCie 4, nor does motherboard  Gigabyte B460M_DS3H Rev 1.0