Amazon links "not redirecting properly"

I see that certain members were quick to jump on and moan about Amazon links not resolving properly when accessed from a country other than the U.S.

This is how Amazon works, in certain scenarios.

The shorturl opens to Amazon.com for me even in Incognito mode from The Netherlands, so it could be that a browser extension interferes with our affiliate link (most likely) but it's also possible that Amazon tries to redirect to a more local Amazon website, because just like Neowin, Amazon is in the business of making some money.

The deals posts we do earn us a bit of income to run the site, and there are plenty of disclaimers to this effect on the articles.

You can fix the short link redirections by whitelisting Neowin so that the links are not changed by a browser extension like an ad blocker, you can also login to Amazon and stay logged in, this should allow you to access Amazon sites all over the world without being redirected.

As I pointed out in three DMs to people who commented about the redirections, they were accessing the links from outside the U.S. so not only did the post not specifically cater to them, it is more likely their own extension(s) modified our link.

I hope this helps, because posting "clean links" serves no purpose or motivation for us and anyway, the links are clean, they just also include our referral id. Plus, I really don't have a lot of time for anyone who doesn't accept we need to be able to fund ourselves to stay online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1