HP Announces Steep (50%) Price Hikes For Instant Ink Subscriptions

Glad I read this topic. In the market for a new printer myself. Wife prints a few things now and then but totally sick of ink drying up in what seems like no time in current printer.

Going online looking at Brother laser printers now. :)

• Like 2

I have a large business Canon multi-function printer/scanner/copier B&W laser.  It works great, but I have consistently heard good things the last few years about Brother printers.

On 19/03/2024 at 16:56, cork1958 said:

Glad I read this topic. In the market for a new printer myself. Wife prints a few things now and then but totally sick of ink drying up in what seems like no time in current printer.

Going online looking at Brother laser printers now. :)

A Brother LED printer lasts even longer than Laser. That's what I bought, the toner can last for years.

On 19/03/2024 at 17:01, Steven P. said:

A Brother LED printer lasts even longer than Laser. That's what I bought, the toner can last for years.

Which model, if I may ask?

Was the "minimum 15 pages a month" you stated in your first post a typo?  Because on hp's site it says 10 pages a month and I would assume that's maximum.

On 20/03/2024 at 07:43, Neyht said:

Was the "minimum 15 pages a month" you stated in your first post a typo?  Because on hp's site it says 10 pages a month and I would assume that's maximum.

Aside from the min/max (which was a typo) ... I was actually curious about this....so using the power of Web Archive ... HP did have a plan of 15 pages/month for £0.99.  Sometime between January 31 and February 27, 2022 they lowered it from 15 to 10 (while keeping the price the same).  I would assume Steven may have been grandfathered???

• Like 2

I was grandfathered.. but I always had a surplus of pages too.

is got an hp envy photo 7858. god i hate this thing. i never get to the bottom of either inkcartridge before the jets dry up and stops printing properly. HP has turned into an absolute garbage brand for printers.

I have an HP Envy 4520 All In One Inkjet Right now,  Someday i hope to be able to afford a Laser Printer even if not in color, as  i do spend alot on Ink cartridges every 6 months or so, or it just drys up before i end up using it all.   I am no way signing up for a Subscription ink service or Printer Lease type thing. 

((I'd probably have to re arrange room though to even fit a Laser Desk in here, don't think one of those will fit above monitor like current desk) 

((Picture is from when Desktop was running Windows 10 Pro, since updated OS to Windows 11 Pro)   Bought this InkJet All In one in 2015 to have a printer that was Windows 10 Compatible at the time))     Not idea what laser printer i'd go for as yet though) 

20210131_200806.jpg

On 21/03/2024 at 14:04, bikeman25 said:

I have an HP Envy 4520 All In One Inkjet Right now,  Someday i hope to be able to afford a Laser Printer even if not in color, as  i do spend alot on Ink cartridges every 6 months or so, or it just drys up before i end up using it all.   I am no way signing up for a Subscription ink service or Printer Lease type thing. 

((I'd probably have to re arrange room though to even fit a Laser Desk in here, don't think one of those will fit above monitor like current desk) 

((Picture is from when Desktop was running Windows 10 Pro, since updated OS to Windows 11 Pro)   Bought this InkJet All In one in 2015 to have a printer that was Windows 10 Compatible at the time))     Not idea what laser printer i'd go for as yet though) 

20210131_200806.jpg

Black and white laser printers aren't that expensive. Right now Amazon has a brother BW laser for $99 https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2405W-Monochrome-Subscription-Replenishment/dp/B0CPL7HRQN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3D4BV5YKJAIY8&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.CSagoHLIOK_FJwfoWIcEYwf488PSAbuq3c2scgu0SYOKFK2I9NIi5GuQh66kKZbuIAx00vFSxswV8V-KjXUxQIiVOwG0GMwlckQ2YPbY3DY1UVUb_vfxITXKqkAXnqWIkfp0tqz98a4eRE3i_AVbQJFT4He4lHJMEO9a7ddhh6bPo4_P6EkukqubBLLqgZpci_eJGnobCaewv-FiivYHJViT8FwFWG98yUTGYlhmOl4.xCOA4SalZnDvRn2vjiC_YZzvW4mHtuQjFKXDhLaly6U&dib_tag=se&keywords=BW%2Bbrother%2Blaser&qid=1711121154&sprefix=bw%2Bbrother%2Blaser%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-1&th=1

• Like 2

I bought this Canon imageCLASS MF445dw mutli-function (all-in-one) laser printer which has duplex printing, scanning, and copying from Amazon in February 2020 for $200. It's really nice and I still have 40% of my original toner cartridge left.  I print here and there all the time, but usually only a page or two when I do, though at times I will print or copy many pages.  But, to @Warwagon's point, there are plenty of options if you only need a more basic laser printer.

Well sometimes do scan in documents or photos with current Inkjet,  print a little at times, about sometimes 10-50 pages a month give or take which month it is.       

Mine currently is the only working printer in the household--so sometimes theres more than other months

I'd have to get another stand in room somehow or bigger Desk for both Desktop & Laptop to put a Multi Function Laser Printer--is temping to do though and i'd probably spend less on Inkjet inks like i do currently

I left HP after years of use when my last printer just finally got it difficult to find cheap ink even on ebay. I moved over to Brother and won't look back for costs of the printers themselves and the ink that lasts 3x if not 10x longer depending on model. Cheaper replacements and my model at work seems to use aftermarket ink with no issues and look/last just fine.