>1GB Ethernet

On 24/01/2024 at 10:54, BudMan said:

That thing is what I would call ugly.. $500 on amazon.. And its huge..

They really need to be clear on what they are saying.. This is misleading marketing for sure

>2-port aggregation to achieve up to 2Gbps for ultra-fast download for streaming and gaming

While you might be able to lagg the ports to leverage your 2g wan connection.. No single device will be able to use that.. Sure ok might be able to have 1 client using 1 gig and another client using the other gig.. But that wording is horrible..

Oh good catch

> 4 X 1 Gig Ethernet ports and 1 x 2.5 Multi-gig LAN or internet port (supports port aggregation) and 1 USB 3.0 port for computers, game consoles, streaming players, storage drive, and other wired devices. Maximize your internet speeds with 2-port aggregation to achieve up to 2Gbps for ultra-fast download for streaming and gaming

I misread that assuming they meant 4x 1g and 1x 2.5gb lan ports and 1x 2.5gb wan port.

I guess I'll keep looking. That ARRIS G54 Goretsky mentioned is looking sweeter and sweeter, although it looks like it may be a PITA to wall mount without a small shelf.

Well normally your wan would come in on the coax, so their 2.5ge could be used for a device or a 2.5ge switch.. so you could get your 1.2g connection from 1 device.. But I hate their marketing speak.. Your typical user has no clue to what aggregation actually means or its limitations.. They are just going to pick up that they can get up to 2Gbps for streaming or download and they are going to assume one device would be able to see that.. Which is marketing BS ;)

Like when they add up all the radio's PHY and say hey our router is 1900 mbps, which is utter BS.. 

Enjoy wireless speeds of up to 6Gbps.

BS plain and simple..

WiFi Technology : 802.11ax Dual Band WiFi (AX6000). 2.4GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 40MHz, up to 1.2Gbps. 5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps

You can not just add those 2 together and say you can do 6.. Nor is anyone ever going to see anything of the sort in real world speeds.. Its BS plain and simple..

On 24/01/2024 at 12:55, BudMan said:

Well normally your wan would come in on the coax, so their 2.5ge could be used for a device or a 2.5ge switch.. so you could get your 1.2g connection from 1 device.. But I hate their marketing speak.. Your typical user has no clue to what aggregation actually means or its limitations.. They are just going to pick up that they can get up to 2Gbps for streaming or download and they are going to assume one device would be able to see that.. Which is marketing BS ;)

Like when they add up all the radio's PHY and say hey our router is 1900 mbps, which is utter BS.. 

Enjoy wireless speeds of up to 6Gbps.

BS plain and simple..

WiFi Technology : 802.11ax Dual Band WiFi (AX6000). 2.4GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 40MHz, up to 1.2Gbps. 5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps

You can not just add those 2 together and say you can do 6.. Nor is anyone ever going to see anything of the sort in real world speeds.. Its BS plain and simple..

it really is confusing if you don't know what you're reading / looking at. It's worse than USB at this point.

On 24/01/2024 at 06:44, satukoro said:

Interesting. According to the first link you included, it looks as though my modem is the first bottleneck I should deal with. According to comcast, and despite my modem being sold as a "True Multi Gig" modem, its max throughput is 945 Mbps.

What are your thoughts on going with a combined modem/router unit? On that list is a Netgear CAX80 which I found for $499 on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Cable-Built-Router/dp/B082XW53G3?th=1) The only downside I see regarding this device rather than the ARRIS Surfboard G54 is the lack of a 10G port, but without 10G wan I'm not too worried about it. I don't do too many large local file transfers.

I figure the cax80 paired with this 10Gtek 10Gb dual rj45 nic should get me where I want  to be without spending too too much unless you think separating the modem from the router is a more sensible option.

Thank you all for your contribution!

Hello,

From looking at the Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 product page, it appears that particular model has a 1 GbE interface, and specifically lists "speeds of up to 800Mbps" with Comcast, although I presume that is older information.

My personal preference—and it is just that, a preference—is to purchase separate cable modems and residential gateway broadband routers with Wi-Fi, so that I can upgrade them separately in the event of technology improvements or a device failure.  Right now, you could purchase any of the modems that Comcast lists in the Recommended Devices or Full List of Compatible Devices section that has a Wired Download Speed of  ~2.3 Gbps, and that will work with your existing 1.2Gbps connection.  However, if you wish to change to a faster speed in the future, you will need one of the devices listed in the Next Gen Speed Tier section of the document.  All five devices listed in that section offer faster upload speeds, but only three of the five offer download speeds (~2.3Gbps) faster than your current CM1100 modem.  Of those three devices, the least expensive is the Hitron Technologies CODA56, so that would be my choice.  As a matter of fact, I just did, about thirty minutes ago.

With the cable modem part of the equation out of the way, you can start looking for routers.  There are plenty of Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E routers that have 2.5GbE ports, and any of those are still going to represent a leap in capabilities over your Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 WiFi Router (R6700), which is a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) device with 1GbE ports.   I went from a similar AC1750/Wi-Fi 5 router to an AC7800/Wi-Fi 6 (not 6E) router and it was a huge improvement in wireless coverage and speed throughout my home.  I would imagine a Wi-Fi 6E would be even better.  These are also going to be less expensive than Wi-Fi 7 routers, for which the standard just got ratified two weeks ago, so there is something of a price premium attached to it since it is brand new technology.

So, you might want to look for a Wi-Fi 6E router with 2.5GbE Ethernet ports from a company you like (Netgear?) and use that with your new 1.2Gb internet service.  Even with ""just" 2.5GbE Ethernet connections, your cable modem and router will twice as fast as your cable internet's download speed, so there won't be any choke points there for a while.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky