Namechange strangeness

Posted (edited)

I Tried to change my display name back to what it used to be "LittleNeutrino" but it said it was already in use. no big deal i just slapped an underscore in there. However, I am seeing on the main page (I know this is not part of Invision Powerboard its a special page made by Neowin) however, it shows my old username in the upper right when im logged in. I figured it would just take time for things to sync but it hasn't done.

Is this something Staff needs to change, or will it just eventually sort itself?

I assumed the generated signature would change as well, but im guessing those are not generated all that often either.

hey @Little_Neutrino you're free to try changing your name again if you want :) I took a look and it seem an old, what I assume was a bot account because it never had any posts, was holding up the username.

@Brandon HExcellent, Got that portion of it done, now for the Signature, and any ideas about the Front page not showing the name change?

On 04/03/2024 at 18:02, LittleNeutrino said:

@Brandon HExcellent, Got that portion of it done, now for the Signature, and any ideas about the Front page not showing the name change?

The news portion of the site is somewhat cached.. give it time to update.

On 04/03/2024 at 12:08, Steven P. said:

The news portion of the site is somewhat cached.. give it time to update.

Cool, no biggie, then :D Thanks Steven!

On 04/03/2024 at 11:02, LittleNeutrino said:

now for the Signature

I used to know what the tag was you could put at the end of the image URL that would refresh it; it's been so many years since I've used it that I can't remember it anymore though.

The cache should refresh on it at somepoint unless Steve or someone can remember how to force the refresh.

On 04/03/2024 at 12:14, Brandon H said:

I used to know what the tag was you could put at the end of the image URL that would refresh it; it's been so many years since I've used it that I can't remember it anymore though.

The cache should refresh on it at somepoint unless Steve or someone can remember how to force the refresh.

I'm not sure if it applies here, but if you add a question mark followed by pretty much anything it treats it as a new (uncached) url. For example:

https://link.to/image/file.jpg

would be interpreted different from

https://link.to/image/file.jpg?t=0

While still effectively being the same link, the "?t=0" is just HTML "GET" data which is benign and will not affect the way anything is loaded unless the website is trying to interpret GET data (not applicable to an image hotlink). More info can be found here: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_form_method.asp

I use this trick sometimes during web development to reload stubborn files that refuse to update.

I was able to figure it out via GD documentation 

?regen=true

at the end of the uRL

there we go, figured it out; I was missing the =true from ?regen=true tag

your signature should be reflecting your current username now @LittleNeutrino :) 

image.png.69414b11343447b5ce6d28e2dcc052ae.png

edit: haha looks like we figured out the right tag at the same time 🍻

On 04/03/2024 at 12:31, Brandon H said:

there we go, figured it out; I was missing the =true from ?regen=true tag

your signature should be reflecting your current username now @LittleNeutrino :) 

image.png.69414b11343447b5ce6d28e2dcc052ae.png

edit: haha looks like we figured out the right tag at the same time 🍻

Yup, its all good now! :D back to my old normal self from like a decade ago

So this is fun, the signature keeps reverting back to the older username, I wonder if the username cache is based on the front page username and not the forum username? The front page username has yet to change to the new username. lol

If I force a refreshed image, it will work for a few hours and then it reverts back to the old username

image.png.06de26ae625e4278f6e12366b0097a30.png(copy of regenerated image)

Most likely by the time someone reads this in a few hours, the signature will have changed back lol.