Attempting to run PC Health checker to see if system can upgrade to 11, get message "Your Organization manages settings"

As the title says, this computer is doing some weird stuff like not allowing some applications to run, so I was going to update it to Win 11, and I run the PC Health checker and it says that your organization manages some of the settings, and will not go past that step. Goggle took me to MS Answers, but it only offers answers for Windows home and changing a registry key, which does not exist in pro. I also reset gpedit via the command line just in case that might have been the issue, but the message still pops up after resetting windows. What exactly does this message mean, and how can I get past it so I can update to 11? I'm certain that I will need to enable virtualization, but I need to know if there is anything else stopping me from upgrading. This is Win 10 pro 22H2

It says it doesn't meet  the requirements, run PC Health checker for more detail

On 24/03/2024 at 15:30, jnelsoninjax said:

It says it doesn't meet  the requirements, run PC Health checker for more detail

Ok. Did you?

It will not run because it says that the setting are managed by your organization, even though it is not

On 24/03/2024 at 18:07, jnelsoninjax said:

It will not run because it says that the setting are managed by your organization, even though it is not

That happens when people run policies and certain tweaks, usually to disable telemetry or mess with Windows Update. 

On 24/03/2024 at 20:15, adrynalyne said:

That happens when people run policies and certain tweaks, usually to disable telemetry or mess with Windows Update. 

Goggle took me to MS Answers, but it only offers answers for Windows home and changing a registry key, which does not exist in pro. I also reset gpedit via the command line just in case that might have been the issue, but the message still pops up after resetting windows.

On 24/03/2024 at 19:34, jnelsoninjax said:

I get what you read but that *is* the most likely cause. 

It could be a number of registry keys. MS Answers has never been a good source of information. You are going to need to remove any telemetry or Windows Update changes you have made. Windows is giving that message because it’s reading a change that has been made that is restricting it from reading/making changes. You know your system the best and therefore are the best to find the culprit. Walk back the changes you’ve made. 

Hindsight being what it is, but this is why IT people are critical of people “optimizing” their OS. 

Have you considered doing a clean install?

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2

If you look under settings>update, do you see the following:

uZBJUMX.png

For me that's all the information I need. Although I have no interest in upgrading, but if you do I guess the PC Health Checker could tell you if all you need to do is change some settings to be eligible...

Back to your initial issue, have you tried resetting Windows 10?

Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2024 at 20:45, adrynalyne said:

I get what you read but that *is* the most likely cause. 

It could be a number of registry keys. MS Answers has never been a good source of information. You are going to need to remove any telemetry or Windows Update changes you have made. Windows is giving that message because it’s reading a change that has been made that is restricting it from reading/making changes. You know your system the best and therefore are the best to find the culprit. Walk back the changes you’ve made. 

Hindsight being what it is, but this is why IT people are critical of people “optimizing” their OS. 

Have you considered doing a clean install?

First of all, this is my wife's PC and she has done no tweaking what so ever to it. I know that windows update has been showing "some settings are managed by your organization" for as long as I have been remoting into her PC to help her, and now that I am with her, it is even more frustrating because something has been installed or configured in such a matter that programs like EA think they are offline, another few programs just refuse to run, they never even load into RAM. Windows 11 was my hopeful answer.

@adrynalyneMaybe you missed the part where I said I reset group policy editor?

@i_was_hereThat worked perfectly to show me I need to enable TPM 2.0

@Nick H.Windows Update does not show anything regarding Windows 11, all it shows is that "some settings are managed by your organization"

OK, please explain this to me:

Whynot.thumb.PNG.c86eac624ea4679358da137f2ca68ec6.PNGWin11update.thumb.PNG.68428f19ec7a76a68c8e41a8c7771289.PNG

Edited by jnelsoninjax

On 25/03/2024 at 06:45, jnelsoninjax said:

First of all, this is my wife's PC and she has done no tweaking what so ever to it. I know that windows update has been showing "some settings are managed by your organization" for as long as I have been remoting into her PC to help her, and now that I am with her, it is even more frustrating because something has been installed or configured in such a matter that programs like EA think they are offline, another few programs just refuse to run, they never even load into RAM. Windows 11 was my hopeful answer.

@adrynalyneMaybe you missed the part where I said I reset group policy editor?

@i_was_hereThat worked perfectly to show me I need to enable TPM 2.0

@Nick H.Windows Update does not show anything regarding Windows 11, all it shows is that "some settings are managed by your organization"

OK, please explain this to me:

Whynot.thumb.PNG.c86eac624ea4679358da137f2ca68ec6.PNGWin11update.thumb.PNG.68428f19ec7a76a68c8e41a8c7771289.PNG

I didn’t miss anything. I’m explaining the issue. Denying it doesn’t exist doesn’t get you any closer to the fix. The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the machine is compromised. 

If you cannot determine what was changed, a clean install is probably a quicker resolution.

This reminds me of a time my wife having me look at her machine when it was malfunctioning. She not only said nothing changed and she didn’t do it, but water poured out of her keyboard when I picked it up. 

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2024 at 08:12, adrynalyne said:

I didn’t miss anything. I’m explaining the issue. Denying it doesn’t exist doesn’t get you any closer to the fix. The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the machine is compromised. 

If you cannot determine what was changed, a clean install is probably a quicker resolution.

This reminds me of a time my wife having me look at her machine when it was malfunctioning. She not only said nothing changed and she didn’t do it, but water poured out of her keyboard when I picked it up. 

I am simply going by what she told me, and I tend to believe her when it comes to this matter. Regardless, can the whole 10 process be skipped and go straight to 11 on a clean install, or do I have to step it 10 then 11?

On 25/03/2024 at 07:23, jnelsoninjax said:

I am simply going by what she told me, and I tend to believe her when it comes to this matter. Regardless, can the whole 10 process be skipped and go straight to 11 on a clean install, or do I have to step it 10 then 11?

As long as it’s compatible, which it appears, a clean install will work. You can’t be remoted in of course.  If it’s not a prebuilt, you will want the Windows 10 product key handy. 

On 25/03/2024 at 08:26, adrynalyne said:

As long as it’s compatible, which it appears, a clean install will work. You can’t be remoted in of course.  If it’s not a prebuilt, you will want the Windows 10 product key handy. 

Not an issue, I have physical access to the computer. I might just do Win 10, then instantly upgrade to 11. Skip the headache of hunting down keys.

On 25/03/2024 at 16:45, jnelsoninjax said:

Not an issue, I have physical access to the computer. I might just do Win 10, then instantly upgrade to 11. Skip the headache of hunting down keys.

Wait, so it isn't on Windows 10 at the moment? What is it running?

If it's on Windows 10, have you tried the reset option?

On 25/03/2024 at 10:52, Nick H. said:

Wait, so it isn't on Windows 10 at the moment? What is it running?

If it's on Windows 10, have you tried the reset option?

It is working on Win 10, albeit with some crazy issues., I forgot about the reset option, I will proceed with the reset and then hopefully upgrade to win 11

On 24/03/2024 at 20:07, jnelsoninjax said:

Had the same issues with 11 after....

Using a tweaking program to turn off and/or delete irritating 11 apps, aka bloatware. I tried to get back into the Beta program which quickly popped up that very message. Because I couldn't remember what the tweaks or apps were, a clean install did fix it. 

OK, I reset windows this morning and it is still doing the same exact thing that it was doing prior, it says that your org manages some settings and will not allow pchealth checker to run

Hey J... have you tried anything like the below??

The first thing that needs to check is if you have a work or school account connected to your computer.

1-Click on Start then click on Settings
2-Click on Accounts then click on Other users
3-Select the account and click to remove
4-Then try to update again

If you don't have any work or school accounts connected, this could be a problem in the privacy setting. You can use this procedure to fix this problem.

1-Right-click on Start and click on Run
2-Type gpedit.msc in the box and press Enter.
3-On the pop-up window, head to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components.
4-Scroll down on the Windows Components section, find and click on Data Collection and Preview Builds.
5-Then double-click on Allow Telemetry on the right pane.
6-Tick on Enabled and choose 3-Full from the drop-down menu.
7-Then click Apply > OK to save the settings.

- good luck - :) 

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2024 at 03:50, Sulphy said:

Hey J... have you tried anything like the below??

The first thing that needs to check is if you have a work or school account connected to your computer.

1-Click on Start then click on Settings
2-Click on Accounts then click on Other users
3-Select the account and click to remove
4-Then try to update again

If you don't have any work or school accounts connected, this could be a problem in the privacy setting. You can use this procedure to fix this problem.

1-Right-click on Start and click on Run
2-Type gpedit.msc in the box and press Enter.
3-On the pop-up window, head to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components.
4-Scroll down on the Windows Components section, find and click on Data Collection and Preview Builds.
5-Then double-click on Allow Telemetry on the right pane.
6-Tick on Enabled and choose 3-Full from the drop-down menu.
7-Then click Apply > OK to save the settings.

- good luck - :) 

OK, part 1, this is a private computer, no school/work accounts

Part 2, I did as you suggested, but it still will not run PC Health Checker.

How do I install 11 without the use of the windows 11 update assistant? It does not show up in windows update.

I went to Windows Update, and noticed at the top it indicated that some setting are managed by your organization, so I clicked on it, and this is what it shows, keep in mind that this is a fresh install of Win10

Capture.thumb.PNG.4220ea8b8a82be54210b41f8c733e9d5.PNG

Edited by jnelsoninjax

So, apologies if i missed this, but have you tried downloading the Win11 ISO from msft, and try install from that, instead of using the assistant?

I know i am probably telling you how to suck eggs 😛 , but grab an iso from here Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com) 

I vaguely remember seeing those policies before, on my personal machine, but installing direct from iso never stopped me... good luck and hope that helps! :) 

On 27/03/2024 at 14:50, jnelsoninjax said:

[GPOs being configured] keep in mind that this is a fresh install of Win10

Something doesn't track here.

You mentioned the machine isn't managed, i.e. not domain joined or otherwise enrolled in some management solution like Intune, a clean Windows installation doesn't have any policies configured, much less update deferral ones.

What source did you use for the installation? Or was it just reset through Windows' Settings? I don't think Windows keeps the install image at hand to be re-applied if one were to reset the machine; GPOs may remain configured if they already were, and those I saw in the screenshot you posted have registry keys associated with them.

If it was a clean install, as in, drive cleaned or partitions removed and recreated during Windows' setup (for example), the source you used had already been altered to set up those policies at the very least. I'd suggest using an image downloaded directly from Microsoft, either 10 or 11, but untouched, not modified in any way. Microsoft has a Media Creation Tool that can both download it and create a bootable USB stick to perform the installation, you could go that route.

In any case, your machine does seem to be compatible with 11, if you see it being activated with a digital license at Settings → Update and Security → Activation, you can forgo the key, it'll reactivate when connected to the net.

On 27/03/2024 at 09:41, aphanic said:

Something doesn't track here.

You mentioned the machine isn't managed, i.e. not domain joined or otherwise enrolled in some management solution like Intune, a clean Windows installation doesn't have any policies configured, much less update deferral ones.

What source did you use for the installation? Or was it just reset through Windows' Settings? I don't think Windows keeps the install image at hand to be re-applied if one were to reset the machine; GPOs may remain configured if they already were, and those I saw in the screenshot you posted have registry keys associated with them.

If it was a clean install, as in, drive cleaned or partitions removed and recreated during Windows' setup (for example), the source you used had already been altered to set up those policies at the very least. I'd suggest using an image downloaded directly from Microsoft, either 10 or 11, but untouched, not modified in any way. Microsoft has a Media Creation Tool that can both download it and create a bootable USB stick to perform the installation, you could go that route.

In any case, your machine does seem to be compatible with 11, if you see it being activated with a digital license at Settings → Update and Security → Activation, you can forgo the key, it'll reactivate when connected to the net.

Reset through settings. IDK where this installation came from as I was not living here when she built the system.