Attempting to run PC Health checker to see if system can upgrade to 11, get message "Your Organization manages settings"

That computer 100% WAS at some point managed.  Either that or it's been screwed with random tools.

On 27/03/2024 at 10:22, Dick Montage said:

That computer 100% WAS at some point managed.  Either that or it's been screwed with random tools.

You seem to be missing something here. This current setup is a fresh reset, nothing settings wise changed. Unless the image that was used to install this OS was somehow modified, then I fail to see how, especially since this is a reset.

On 27/03/2024 at 17:21, jnelsoninjax said:

This current setup is a fresh reset, nothing settings wise changed.

Resets will not work.. if it is a settings problem, you just answered the question you proposed.

Group policy changes, won't work... but you might try completely resetting everything in the GPE to defaults and restart. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68549-reset-local-group-policy-editor-settings-default-windows-10-a.html

When I used that Tweak 11 or something like that (can't recall), nothing worked to reset it. I was dumb enough to use that app and then not save the changes to reverse it... and I tried all of the above and more. It had to have left something in the registry that using the UI to reset didn't work, something was left behind that kept interferring.

Resolution?  Wipe the drive completely clean and install fresh. No resets, no repair installs.

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2024 at 18:41, xMorpheousx416 said:

Resets will not work.. if it is a settings problem, you just answered the question you proposed.

Group policy changes, won't work... but you might try completely resetting everything in the GPE to defaults and restart. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68549-reset-local-group-policy-editor-settings-default-windows-10-a.html

When I used that Tweak 11 or something like that (can't recall), nothing worked to reset it. I was dumb enough to use that app and then not save the changes to reverse it... and I tried all of the above and more. It had to have left something in the registry that using the UI to reset didn't work, something was left behind that kept interferring.

Resolution?  Wipe the drive completely clean and install fresh. No resets, no repair installs.

I have decided that is the only method (wipe the drive) though I have seen another statement on MS Answers that points to the key being the issue, can anybody comment on that? I also mentioned in my original post that I already followed the guide to reset the group policy editor via command line.

On 27/03/2024 at 22:21, jnelsoninjax said:

You seem to be missing something here. This current setup is a fresh reset, nothing settings wise changed. Unless the image that was used to install this OS was somehow modified, then I fail to see how, especially since this is a reset.

I’m missing nothing. You may not be understanding how management systems like Intune work.

On 27/03/2024 at 20:59, jnelsoninjax said:

I have decided that is the only method (wipe the drive) though I have seen another statement on MS Answers that points to the key being the issue, can anybody comment on that? I also mentioned in my original post that I already followed the guide to reset the group policy editor via command line.

A volume license could be the culprit. Where and how (if) one was used, I couldn't tell you... in the dark on that as much as yourself. It may seem taboo to talk about it, but if anyone used KMS or some other method to bypass paying for that key (and Neowin sells them cheap here from time to time)... you have to deal with cleaning up a pirated key and go legit. Repairing computers puts you in a position to see pretty much anything/everything.

When you install fresh, don't use the same email address during the OOBE since any digital license could be attached to said email and cause the issue to start all over again (possible). 

Forgive the repetitive suggestion, sometimes I skip read and miss a detail or two. Should be about it, though... new install, new key, new email address, good to go.

On 28/03/2024 at 10:27, xMorpheousx416 said:

A volume license could be the culprit. Where and how (if) one was used, I couldn't tell you... in the dark on that as much as yourself. It may seem taboo to talk about it, but if anyone used KMS or some other method to bypass paying for that key (and Neowin sells them cheap here from time to time)... you have to deal with cleaning up a pirated key and go legit. Repairing computers puts you in a position to see pretty much anything/everything.

When you install fresh, don't use the same email address during the OOBE since any digital license could be attached to said email and cause the issue to start all over again (possible). 

Forgive the repetitive suggestion, sometimes I skip read and miss a detail or two. Should be about it, though... new install, new key, new email address, good to go.

A VLK won’t do that by itself. I use a VLK for all of our workstations and that restriction message doesn’t appear until I join them to the domain. 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 12:30, adrynalyne said:

A VLK won’t do that by itself. I use a VLK for all of our workstations and that restriction message doesn’t aplear until I join them to the domain. 

That's why I like to use "could" "should" or "would". Unless I'm sitting in front of the machine, it's all hearsay and working blind. :)

Hello,

I wonder if the computer user is logging in with a Microsoft account tied to an organization.  If so, the organization's policies for the operating system could be getting applied to the user account.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

On 29/03/2024 at 15:53, goretsky said:

Hello,

I wonder if the computer user is logging in with a Microsoft account tied to an organization.  If so, the organization's policies for the operating system could be getting applied to the user account.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Agreed.

On 29/03/2024 at 14:53, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

If that were the case how would I go about correcting it?

On 31/03/2024 at 21:13, jnelsoninjax said:

Dont use an MSA tied to an organization (which would log you into AAD, now known as Entra ID).

On 01/04/2024 at 01:01, adrynalyne said:

Dont use an MSA tied to an organization (which would log you into AAD, now known as Entra ID).

How would I know?

just finished reading through the thread and I've got to say that honestly I think you're trying too hard to go the upgrade path and it's more trouble than it's worth. With things acting as weird as they are, I'd be inclined to do a fresh install anyway. Weirdness is much more likely to be retained or made worse with upgrade.

On 01/04/2024 at 07:37, jnelsoninjax said:

How would I know?

When you add it, it is done as a work or school account and not the normal way. 

On 31/03/2024 at 22:13, jnelsoninjax said:

Hello,

You would want to log into the computer using a different Microsoft Account (formerly known as a Live ID or even Hotmail account) that is not managed by an organization, or use a local account to log into the computer.  Confusingly enough, a local account can be created by bypassing the account creation/login process and choosing the "domain join" option, instead.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 01/04/2024 at 09:45, adrynalyne said:

When you add it, it is done as a work or school account and not the normal way.

It is a normal key, it is not attached to any work/school account

On 02/04/2024 at 00:59, goretsky said:

Hello,

You would want to log into the computer using a different Microsoft Account (formerly known as a Live ID or even Hotmail account) that is not managed by an organization, or use a local account to log into the computer.  Confusingly enough, a local account can be created by bypassing the account creation/login process and choosing the "domain join" option, instead.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Again, this account is not a school or work account,I can switch it to a local account, right now it shows the option to switch to a local account, and when I click on manage my Microsoft account, it take me to the web and wants me to login.

On 02/04/2024 at 07:05, jnelsoninjax said:

Again, this account is not a school or work account,I can switch it to a local account, right now it shows the option to switch to a local account, and when I click on manage my Microsoft account, it take me to the web and wants me to login.

Ok. In the time you’ve spent troubleshooting this, you could have just clean installed and moved on days ago. 🙂

• Like 2

On 02/04/2024 at 08:40, adrynalyne said:

Ok. In the time you’ve spent troubleshooting this, you could have just clean installed and moved on days ago. 🙂

I'm not the one whose stopping it... I would've done it long ago, my wife was convinced that I could fix the issue rather than just ignore it.

On 02/04/2024 at 08:05, jnelsoninjax said:

Hello,

What happens when you do that?  Does it allow you to switch it from the Microsoft Account to a local one?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 28/03/2024 at 10:30, adrynalyne said:

A VLK won’t do that by itself. I use a VLK for all of our workstations and that restriction message doesn’t appear until I join them to the domain. 

It's possible it could be blocked for upgrades. An organization that had kept a Windows 10 specific license and hasn't moved to 11 wouldn't work for upgrades and would be rejected on a clean install of 11.

I think it's more likely an issue with the original source image though.

On 02/04/2024 at 19:58, DewThePDX said:

It's possible it could be blocked for upgrades. An organization that had kept a Windows 10 specific license and hasn't moved to 11 wouldn't work for upgrades and would be rejected on a clean install of 11.

I think it's more likely an issue with the original source image though.

Sure but that wouldn’t read as a managed setting. 

On 26/03/2024 at 11:02, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, I reset windows this morning and it is still doing the same exact thing that it was doing prior, it says that your org manages some settings and will not allow pchealth checker to run

certain 3rd party antivirus apps will do this.

remove, symantec, mcafee or anything else you have 3rd party.

On 03/04/2024 at 12:40, nekrosoft13 said:

certain 3rd party antivirus apps will do this.

remove, symantec, mcafee or anything else you have 3rd party.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head! We removed an expired AV and replaced it with BitDefender and I just ran the Win11 install assistant wizard and it suddenly decided what it will install 11