AtlasOS or ReviOS for Win11?


Recommended Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, please move it to the correct section if it's not.

I have a gaming laptop, it's a 2018 model that I bought in late 2019, but do to an issue in early 2020 & no money for out-of-warranty repair, I never got it fixed. Since I'm not gaming on it, would AtlasOS or ReviOS be the better mod for Win11?

I have Win11 Pro.

Edited by branfont
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • branfont changed the title to AtlasOS or ReviOS for Win11?
Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2024 at 12:00, KiHu said:

Neither

Not helpful, thanks for playing! Refrain from responding to my posts if you've got no constructive input!

I've blocked you, so I won't be seeing anything from you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/03/2024 at 14:07, branfont said:

Not helpful, thanks for playing! Refrain from responding to my posts if you've got no constructive input!

I've blocked you, so I won't be seeing anything from you.

Kind of an overreaction isn't it? He stated his opinion and I agree with it. Don't use these hacks. I don't consider them safe and they are pointless, just run Windows 11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These modifications look to be aimed at gamers, yet you don't game? so what's the motivation for considering this?

Something else to ask yourself: do you trust the people behind these projects not to install anything malicious on your machine?

I don't, which is why I wouldn't install neither. Its too much of a security risk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As many pointed out, using this kind of modded WIndows means no security update, possible conflict and instability and more likely a vulnerable system. You want a light on resources but also one with security updates as i said windows 10 iot enterprise ltsc 2021 its the microsoft oficial version of windows with embeded in mind, with almost no bloat, light and runs like a normal windows 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2024 at 17:09, InsaneNutter said:

These modifications look to be aimed at gamers, yet you don't game? so what's the motivation for considering this?

Something else to ask yourself: do you trust the people behind these projects not to install anything malicious on your machine?

I don't, which is why I wouldn't install neither. Its too much of a security risk.

I am a gamer, I just can't game on the laptop anymore, due to an accident that happened in 2020 & I didn't have the funds then or even now to send it in for out-of-warranty repair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That doesn't explain why you want to run these mods. Why not leave Windows 11 as-is? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/03/2024 at 06:27, i_was_here said:

That doesn't explain why you want to run these mods. Why not leave Windows 11 as-is? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Bloat, and trying to get the best out of this rat infested hovel.

Edited by Girl5
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've watch a few YT videos and read from forums from Chris Titus, Britech, and MalwareBytes about both Altas and Rev, and while they may be fast they both leave the system open to a number of security holes.

Honestly, I would stay far away from them -- unless you are willing to troubleshoot and deal with any issues that come up, including viruses since both of them disable Windows Defender and Windows Update --  You are on your own.

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, you may not like the answer but I wouldn't bother with either of them. You don't get any real advantages from them, and instead things will break and be unsecure.

If bloat is your concern you would be better manually removing what you don't want, or moving away from Windows altogether.

These kind of things are experiments, they shouldn't be used on a day-to-day basis. It's like Tiny10/11, it's fun to see how much you can strip the system down but you shouldn't use it for a prolonged period of time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is it that needs "repairing"? As others have said stock windows 11 is actually pretty good at being optimised for games, I would turn off things like protected memory integrity as recommended by Microsoft to get the most from your system, otherwise if you really want to try something different (and ideally have an AMD GPU) then you could try Linux + Proton as used by the Steam Desk but it's a lot of tinkering for probably small percentage gains if any!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/03/2024 at 11:07, branfont said:

Not helpful, thanks for playing! Refrain from responding to my posts if you've got no constructive input!

I've blocked you, so I won't be seeing anything from you.

Wait, you blocked someone for saying 'Neither'?  Wow, you're gonna be blocking everyone on this site within 3 days, bro. 

On the topic of your original question, using these scripts to modify Windows 11 doesn't really make it run better.  I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your Windows 11 installation, but as others have said, you're better off manually removing apps and disabling services you don't want running.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similar to those above I would recommend doing more research on these and any other system modifications of the like. Way the pros and cons of if you care about Security over speed. Also if the goal is to just give an aging machine a longer lifetime perhaps evaluate whether or not Windows is even the best option for you. If your only goal is a computer with more speed with the same hardware a lighter weight OS might be a better option as you will be able to maintain security.

Just food for thought.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/03/2024 at 17:08, branfont said:

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, please move it to the correct section if it's not.

I have a gaming laptop, it's a 2018 model that I bought in late 2019, but do to an issue in early 2020 & no money for out-of-warranty repair, I never got it fixed. Since I'm not gaming on it, would AtlasOS or ReviOS be the better mod for Win11?

I have Win11 Pro.

People seem afraid to modify these days. Was all the rage a couple of decades ago. Anywho I hadn't heard of either so I did some research. Here's a good comparison video 

 

I might try em out when I get time, I'll probably forget though 🤪

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After looking into it, I would argue most of the "improvements" brought by either ReviOS or AtlasOS are just snake oil.

You could just as easily take Windows 10 or 11 and:

  • disable all startup applications (likely to be very few on a fresh install)
  • disable any unnecessary services (likely to be none on a fresh install)
  • disable mica and other effects in the shell, and get just as many performance gains as these solutions offer

If Windows is what's bogging down your gaming PC, you probably have a pretty bad hardware bottleneck or an excess of bloat (paid antivirus, monitoring software, overzealous print software, unnecessary "cleaner" apps, etc.). If you have not cleaned up any bloat that comes with pre-installed windows, I would start there.

If you don't care about security, try both options and see if you like one more than stock windows. However if you are looking for a stripped down experience, maybe make yourself familiar with the things these third part OS solutions are stripping out of windows and see if it's really beneficial to remove.

Stock "N" (especially Pro N) versions of Windows are pretty bare-bones to begin with so I would personally recommend you start there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not just about 'snake oil' ;).  This shower, (MS), try to 'dictate' what one does with their system, as if they 'OWN' it?.  Will never happen on my watch!, at least, not as long as I'm above the ground.

Check your system for 'bingchatinstaller.exe' (ADS), the latest sneaky inclusion from them, that just happens to get renamed if you delete it, then reinstalls again < This nonsense is what get's my back up!

I'll decide what goes on my system, not you MS!, and I seriously wouldn't touch '11' with a 6 mile bargepole.

Edited by Girl5
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/04/2024 at 19:02, Girl5 said:

It's not just about 'snake oil' ;).  This shower, (MS), try to 'dictate' what one does with their system, as if they 'OWN' it?.  Will never happen on my watch!, at least, not as long as I'm above the ground.

Check your system for 'bingchatinstaller.exe' (ADS), the latest sneaky inclusion from them, that just happens to get renamed if you delete it, then reinstalls again < This nonsense is what get's my back up!

I'll decide what goes on my system, not you MS!, and I seriously wouldn't touch '11' with a 6 mile bargepole.

Well, there is where you're wrong.  When you purchase a license key and install Windows, you don't magically own it.  You agree to the terms of its use, and you own a license to run it on your PC.  They absolutely own it.  You don't like that situation?  Then switch over to a Linux-based distribution.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/04/2024 at 05:29, devHead said:

Well, there is where you're wrong.  When you purchase a license key and install Windows, you don't magically own it.  You agree to the terms of its use, and you own a license to run it on your PC.  They absolutely own it.  You don't like that situation?  Then switch over to a Linux-based distribution.  

Do you really believe that?, lol?, I suspect not ;) The old 'get out clause'.  Nonsense.

I may have a license, but that does NOT give them a 'license' to infect my system with whatever they see fit.  I run Linux 24/7 BTW, on my main system, have done for 8 years, not the point though.

Edited by Girl5
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/04/2024 at 22:08, Girl5 said:

Do you really believe that?, lol?, I suspect not ;) The old 'get out clause'.  Nonsense.

I may have a license, but that does NOT give them a 'license' to infect my system with whatever they see fit.  I run Linux 24/7 BTW, on my main system, have done for 8 years, not the point though.

You agreed to the license. Maybe read it first next time. It’s your machine, it is *not* your OS. 
 

Of course someone on Linux 24/7 answering the way you do is just confirms your troll status. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

What is the exact brand and model of the laptop, and what sort of damage occurred to it?

Also, what sort of problems are you having with the laptop, exactly?  If there is a hardware component that is damaged and not working, changing the operating system is not going to fix that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/04/2024 at 10:20, Som said:

People seem afraid to modify these days. Was all the rage a couple of decades ago.

People have a lot more to lose these days, a couple of decades ago I wasn't shopping online or doing online banking.

Back then the most sensitive thing on my PC was my college homework and family photos. That's far from the case these now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.