New Planet Discovered!

While NASA remains intentionally vague, promising only a news conference Monday, The Australian has the details. The new planet, dubbed Sedna after the Inuit goddess of the sea, is 3 billion km further from the sun than Pluto, and is slightly smaller at 2000km in diameter. This discovery has apparently reignited the debate as to how big a solar object must be in order to qualify as a 'planet', but it is significant nonetheless.

Source: Slashdot

View: Nasa's vague info page

View: The Australian's details

Makes you wonder about 2 theories about space,

• 1. Space is endless it goes on and on forever
  • 2. Space is shaped as a sphere, just like the earth, if you go far enough you'll end up where you started

silly...pluto is a dog! ;)

Goofy is a dog that can talk. Yet he is considered dumb.

Pluto is a dog that can't talk. I don't get it.

It's just a Kuiper belt object, same as Pluto/Charon. But omg the scientific community goes berserk if you mention declassifying Pluto as a plantet and classifying it as a planetiod/kuiper belt object.

What amazes me is the Oort cloud. 3 light years in diameter, and that the Sun's gravitational influence is that strong. Amazing.

this reminds me of the joke .. yo momma's so fat, planets circle her or something like that haha in other words, this sedna is far too small to be a planet. whats next? oh like 10 billion light years away theres a rock the size of my fist in orbit around the sun! its a planet!!1111

um no

It's just a Kuiper belt object, same as Pluto/Charon. But omg the scientific community goes berserk if you mention declassifying Pluto as a plantet and classifying it as a planetiod/kuiper belt object.

What amazes me is the Oort cloud. 3 light years in diameter, and that the Sun's gravitational influence is that strong. Amazing.

Declassify it. It's a frozen asteroid already.

They are planning a mission to Pluto/Kuiper belt now. It's going to launch in 2006 (hopefully) and the probe won't reach Pluto until 2015 at the earliest.

Didn't they say something like this in K-Pax? Or am I the only person who watched that movie?

Yeah, I remember that. Was it when he was in the planetarium/observatory with the scientists? Anyway, awesome movie.

news source: http://www.namibian.com.na

New planet discovered

LOS ANGELES - It is a frozen world more than 12,9 billion kilometres from Earth and believed to be the farthest known object within our solar system.

NASA planned to offer disclose more details late last night about Sedna, a planetoid between 1 290 kilometres and 1 770 kilometres in diameter, or about three-quarters the size of Pluto.

Named for the Inuit goddess who created the sea creatures of the Arctic, Sedna lies more than three times farther from the sun than Pluto.

It was discovered in November.

"The sun appears so small from that distance that you could completely block it out with the head of a pin," said Mike Brown, an astronomer at the California Institute of Technology who led the NASA-funded team that found Sedna.

That makes Sedna the largest object found orbiting the sun since the discovery of Pluto, the ninth planet, in 1930.

It trumps in size another world, called Quaoar, discovered by the same team in 2002.

Brown and his colleagues estimate the temperature on Sedna never rises above 200 degrees below zero Celsius, making it the coldest known body in the solar system.

Sedna follows a highly elliptical path around the sun, a circuit that it takes 10 500 years to complete.

Its orbit loops out as far as 135 billion kilometres from the sun, or 900 times the distance between the Earth and our star.

Brown and Chad Trujillo, of the Gemini Observatory in Hawaii, and David Rabinowitz, of Yale University, discovered Sedna on November 14 2003, using a centimetre telescope at Caltech's Palomar Observatory east of San Diego.

Within days, other astronomers around the world trained their telescopes, including the recently launched Spitzer Space Telescope, on the object.

The team also have indirect evidence a tiny moon may trail Sedna, which is redder than all other known solar system bodies except Mars.

Hmm... interesting