AOL subscribers, sales keep sliding

aol 8 and 9 have been really good and the 9 refresh tahiti beta is great as well. they always have great promotions too... they sent my kids the scooby doo christmas video at christmas time and sent me a free digital camera for trying aol for broadband for 45 days. when i called to cancel the broadband they gave me two more free months to try it. i'm pretty happy with them right now.

AOL will cease to exist within three years because they refuse to adopt the standards that the web uses.

What "standards" are you referring to exactly? I'd like to know this. Also, what other dial-up ISP has adopted these standards?

By the way, for those criticizing AOL's "outrageous" price for unlimited monthy Internet, you do realize that AOL has multiple pricing plans, right? For those who hardly ever go online (like only a few times a month), except to check their email, and browse the Internet, and stuff like that, they have a nice Light Usage plan for a mere $4.95 per month. Also, AOL has an annual unlimited plan, where you pay one lump sum just once a year, and it adds up to $19.95 a month if you divide by 12.

why?

what have they ever done to bother you?  other than send you some cds which can be used for numerous different things.

your comment hurts.  i work at aol... and if you say aol to close shop, that means one neowin supermod would be with no job.

aol did nothing to hurt anyone.  i wish you all would just stop being lame and realize that hating on AOL does not do anything for you.  other than make you look bad to me.

post 11,700 btw

Those CDs are a huge annoyance. They're spam in your mailbox. Spam has done/said nothing to hurt you, yet people still hate it.

Their service is geared towards newbies, which means newbies use it. Which means newbies log onto IRC for the first time and ask why Nickserv is hacking them and changing their nickname :dontgetit: As a result, AOL users generally have a bad name, and so AOL gets a bad name.

The RIAA and SCO haven't done anything to hurt you specifically, but people hate them beyond words. Its just the company--it has a dislikable image.

I'm not saying that I hate AOL.. Nono, even though I'll never have an AOL account, its great for people new to computers. Hell, I even remember back when I was 10 and begging my dad to let me install one of those free CDs (he never let me :pinch: ). I'm just saying I know where people are coming from.

What "standards" are you referring to exactly? I'd like to know this. Also, what other dial-up ISP has adopted these standards?

POP-based mail for one. Real ISP's don't require you to use proprietary software (i.e. EarthLink). My sweetie has AOL, and any program that requires an internet connection will not work because you are not actually online, but running through AOL's servers. Don't get me started about that god-awful interface! :x

AOL will cease to exist within three years because they refuse to adopt the standards that the web uses.

OMG HAHAHAH

that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.

i work in a group and our role is to test standards and make sure that the products meet those standards.

what web standards do you think that we have not yet adopted????

seriously... what a dumb comment.

Those CDs are a huge annoyance. They're spam in your mailbox. Spam has done/said nothing to hurt you, yet people still hate it.

Their service is geared towards newbies, which means newbies use it. Which means newbies log onto IRC for the first time and ask why Nickserv is hacking them and changing their nickname :dontgetit: As a result, AOL users generally have a bad name, and so AOL gets a bad name.

The RIAA and SCO haven't done anything to hurt you specifically, but people hate them beyond words. Its just the company--it has a dislikable image.

I'm not saying that I hate AOL.. Nono, even though I'll never have an AOL account, its great for people new to computers. Hell, I even remember back when I was 10 and begging my dad to let me install one of those free CDs (he never let me :pinch: ). I'm just saying I know where people are coming from.

when is the last time you got a disc? i am seeing them more in shops now, like best buy, circuit city, etc... places where you actually have to take the cd.

aol even dropped the majority of its plans to release cds anyways.

man some of these comments are just obsurd.

POP-based mail for one. Real ISP's don't require you to use proprietary software (i.e. EarthLink). My sweetie has AOL, and any program that requires an internet connection will not work because you are not actually online, but running through AOL's servers. Don't get me started about that god-awful interface! :x

there is a new product called aol dialer.

it allows an aol user to connect to the aol service WITHOUT needing the client.

have you or heard tried communicator?

also, having our mail system not run pop helps prevent virus' and stuff from penetrating the user.

when is the last time you got a disc?

4 days ago, actually it was 2 of them.. kinda odd but yeah, I have nothing against them, I just wish they would stop sending those to me :/

i used to get them... and im a damn employee :laugh:

but have not gotten one for atleast a year now.

im sure you can request it.

lol, well you need to be kept upto date with the latest release :p

It's OK I guess, I do use the cases for my burned cd's ;)

when is the last time you got a disc?  i am seeing them more in shops now, like best buy, circuit city, etc... places where you actually have to take the cd.

aol even dropped the majority of its plans to release cds anyways.

man some of these comments are just obsurd.

I own a shipping store, and we rent out PO boxes. Once every few months, we get about 30 CDs, about one for every two mailbox holders we have, plus one for me. Its annoying as hell... The mailman has to bring them in a bag :no: I've called AOL customer service a couple times, and they say they're pulling me from the mailing list, and a few months later I get another batch of CDs. So yes, I do get them quite a bit.

And everything people are saying just goes to prove my point. AOL has a bad rep from a while back.. Having an AOL dialer is a great step, but people remember bloated AOL 6.0 and assume the rest are the same.

Again, I say: I have nothing against AOL. I just understand why other people do.

OMG HAHAHAH

that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.

i work in a group and our role is to test standards and make sure that the products meet those standards.

what web standards do you think that we have not yet adopted????

seriously... what a dumb comment.

If the's true, then why do AOL execs NOT use AOL mail? Why can't every program connect to the Internet while connected to AOL? AOL does not use POP-based mail, and they don't use the standard ports to connect to the Internet. :angry:

If the's true, then why do AOL execs NOT use AOL mail?  Why can't every program connect to the Internet while connected to AOL?  AOL does not use POP-based mail, and they don't use the standard ports to connect to the Internet.  :angry:

Might I add, that makes no sense whatsoever :dontgetit: you dont connect to the internet through ports

Might I add, that makes no sense whatsoever :dontgetit: you dont connect to the internet through ports

actually thats not entirly true...

a phone jack can be considered a port :p

actually thats not entirly true...

a phone jack can be considered a port :p

Damn AOL, making us connect through those non-standard toaster ovens instead of phone jacks!! :laugh:

I have it out for AOL because they charged us for 9 months we didn't use.

And we told them to cancel it...oi.

OT: Isn't the AOL beta Tahiti, or is that old? :p

I have it out for AOL because they charged us for 9 months wdidn'tb> use.

And we told them to cancel it...oi.

OT: Isn't the AOL beta Tahiti, or is that old:p:p

Yes its tahiti, and I see it being released very shortly. It's been in beta forever.:s:s

Current Build is 4156.750

why?

what have they ever done to bother you?  other than send you some cds which can be used for numerous different things.

your comment hurts.  i work at aol... and if you say aol to close shop, that means one neowin supermod would be with no job.

aol did nothing to hurt anyone.  i wish you all would just stop being lame and realize that hating on AOL does not do anything for you.  other than make you look bad to me.

post 11,700 btw

umm .....so what you are saying is there is no real loss then? :D

j/k :p

I started with AOL when I first got a PC. back then I thought it was nice. After time passed and I grew more experienced, I learned to hate AOL with a passion. everything from getting booted constantly, slow @ss download speeds (even for 56k) and conflicts with other programs made me go to MSN. These are my top reasons to hate AOL software:

1. Really slow 56k connection

2. High price charged for service.

3. System resource hog. On windows 98 my resources dropped from 85% to 58% just from starting AOL.

4. Conflicts with other software. I had to un-install AOL just to upgrade IE to 6. Stupid AOL keeps butting in and tries to dialup during the installation process. Done this on every PC I tried to upgrade. Nearly caused me to have to erase/reload my bosses computer.

5. REAL PLAYER! Why oh why do they continue to support this garbage?!

6. What is the one thing most hated about surfing the net besides viruses and spyware? Pop Ups of course. Now with that in mind, what does the AOL welcome screen look like when you first sign on? A bunch of damn pop ups!

7. The stupid AOL discs in the mail. 1045 hours free, yeah right! It says that you only have 30days to use that. Thats impossible as there aren't that many hours in a month. Why don't they just come out and say 30 day free trial?

8. AOL simply won't give you the option to just setup your account through IE. Although I have MSN and like the software, I prefer to setup a manual connection and use IE.

9. Upon installing AOL you are greeted with an series of "updates" everytime you sign off. They take forever, and after they update, its a stupid ad or it wants you to install soome garbage software that you won't need.

I could probably think of more reasons, but I'm tired of typing.