HELP! SP2 screwed xp up!

I was installing sp2 and it frozed my computer during the installation so i restarted the computer. When I booted windows agaiun. It blooded screened saying something about mounting and to do safemode i did that samething. I tried recovery consol and typed in dir and it didn't work. I tried mounting my partition in beos but beos would freeze. I have soo much data on my ntfs partition!!!! Please someone help me! ****ING SP2!

it warned not to install on a production system.

exactly.. don't try beta stuff out on a production system.. test it in a second rig or on another partition.. man why don't ppl never listen :no:

You decided to install a pre-release service pack without backing up important data? Well, you've learned a valuable lesson today!

That aside, you should be able to recover your data. When you say you typed in dir in the recovery console and it didn't work, what do you mean? Also, have you tried just reinstalling XP over your current installation and/or repairing XP installation in the XP setup? It certaintly wouldn't be pretty but you should at least be able to boot, partition off a bit of your drive and copy data to the drive so that you can reformat XP and install XP with SP1 on top of that later on.

No, he means you screwed up your system, and we can't work on it. Nor would we want to; it's solely your responsibility. You took the risk by installing the SP in the first place, deal with the consequences. Now, for advice. Try a repair install of XP. If you don't know how to do that, do some research.

I tried installing XP over it but the setup sees it as an unkown partition :( The blue screen says "a problem has been adected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer" then udner it says unmountable_boot_volume what does sp2 have to do with partitions :(

I tried installing XP over it but the setup sees it as an unkown partition :( The blue screen says "a problem has been adected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer" then udner it says unmountable_boot_volume what does sp2 have to do with partitions :(

do you have another harddisk? try installing windows xp on that one.. and use your current drive as the secondary.. copy all the data you need.. and then format or low level format it.. man xp sp2 fcuked you up pretty badly.. now way im touching that.. :no:

No, he means you screwed up your system, and we can't work on it. Nor would we want to; it's solely your responsibility. You took the risk by installing the SP in the first place, deal with the consequences. Now, for advice. Try a repair install of XP. If you don't know how to do that, do some research.

Agreed

Please don't post things that are to late to worry abouut . i coulda shoulda blah i did :)

The admonitions are well deserved - but they are not intended solely for you but for everyone else reading this thread. Never install a beta (especially an OS beta) on a system you can't afford to do without. And if you do, at least make sure you have a full and recent image you can return to. These warnings are ubiquitous. It's impossible not to see them. It is, however, possible to ignore them, huh? ;)

Sorry - not trying to pick on you. But when you do something like you did and then come here saying "help me", you kind of have to expect some of this :ninja:

****ing didn't work!!! :( SOMEONE HELP ME!

It looks lik you have tired everything but that last option, formatting and re-installing.

Sorry, but like many people have said, you have learned a very important lesson. Don't use beta (RC1) software and expect to work flawlessly.

But that ISn't an option!

damit you aint got no other options (sorry film moment took over me) why isnt it an option, im sure you backed up all your work before installing didnt you (like ms tell you to do, let me guess no?