HELP! SP2 screwed xp up!

It's working fine for me, I did just install Windows again since I got a new motherboard but it seems fast and reliable. I do keep all of my important files on another hard drive just for reasons like this.

But that ISn't an option!

I don't understand how that is not an option. It seems as you say that you have tried every other option except formatting and reinstalling.

/me is now sacred to install it now ... is working on important things on this machine. the last time me was scared was when installing mandrake10.

it should be fine but dont wine if it goes wrong, just run it on vmware or virtual pc

i just backed up all important info and installed SP2. No problems here so far.

Me neither!

I have a question though, I know if you install this rc it makes you do a restore point so that you can uninstall in when the final comes out, but what if you slipstream this and install fresh? Will the final just refuse to install? :blush:

you wouldnt want to install the final over a beta or RC. that just wouldnt be wise. if you slipstreamed it (god knows why) then best idea would be to do the same and start fresh when final hits

you wouldnt want to install the final over a beta or RC. that just wouldnt be wise. if you slipstreamed it (god knows why) then best idea would be to do the same and start fresh when final hits

No, I didn't do it, just wondering. I will when the final is out though. Cheers Spydey (Y)

thats what i'm saying! lol "if" you did. turns out you didn't. so i'm glad i didnt say "why did you do that weirdo?":)

me too... I'm not a weirdo :cry:

Well maybe a little :rofl:

i've had a similar occurence recently while screwing around with the new Debian installer.. my PC froze while partitioning and i sure as hell know better than to reboot.. but hell, it's been at least half-an-hour for an operation that when i did before didn't take more than 10secs all-in-all.. so, i pressed the dreaded reset.. lo and behold, both my NTFS partitions (50GB each) were corrupt.. when entering XP (i had the installation on a separate drive), it asks me if i want to format the 2 partitions.. :laugh: well, what i did was look around for data recovery software (and believe me i've tried everything, from Easy Recovery which is supposed to be top of the line, to File Scavenger and several other small-time programs), until i bumped into GetDataBack for NTFS volumes.. and SH*T was i amazed.. the thing practically recognized ALL my files and right now, i'm in the middle of recovering/burning so i can format later on..

so don't worry.. as long as you didn't write new information to your bad partitions, it can be recovered.. i personally recommend GetDataBack for NTFS..

good luck and be more careful next time (Y)

There is hope. I used linux and it can see all the files fine. Now just to transfer them to another partition. :sleep:

1. Never manually turn off your comp halfway thru a service pack install; your asking for a half-baked problem!

2. i just installed sp2. took a while but was patient, all data on d:, had an image to revert to if something happened. this is a somewhat important box but ive done this for a while so with caution you are usually fine

3. good luck recovering your botched install.

There's some people in this forumn that are real ######... Just try to help the guy geez.

yeah I thought it was just me noticing that.....

i like this security center

Looks like McAfee is talking via WMI to the Security Center, something that NAV2004 isn't doing :/