KDE vs. Gnome

KDE vs. Gnome  

102 members have voted

1. 1. KDE vs. Gnome

• KDE
    • Gnome
    • Other

I am fairly new and i am wondering what most people use whether it be KDE or Gnome. I am using redhat 9 and I am too much of a novice at linux to determine which is better as of now. I know there are other desktops avaliable that dont come with the standard install, so if anybody uses those go ahead and suggest them here. Thanks a lot.

kde reminds me too much of windows. big, unwieldly, and a monster in its own right. Gnome kicks serious booty when fighting with kde, kde gots flowers while gnome gots guts. can't wait for 2.6 to be released.

My suggestion: Install them both and try them both. :D

Pick the one that suits you best, regardless of what other people think or suggest. :yes:

(btw, when I took my own advice over a year ago, I picked KDE. It just fit the way I work better)

Of the 2 big-bad-boys, I'll take GNOME anyday.

I started on GNOME. I prefer Enlightenment, but my heart (or should that be foot?) will always belong to GNOME.

would u rather switch from Wiindows to KDE or Windows to Gnome if u are looking to try something new but like Windows ?

Hey... It's LINUX, buddy! :D

Try BOTH of them. Heck, try twm, fluxbox, blackbox and anything else you want, until you get one that feels right to you. ;)

Linux will always be "free", as in "freedom" :yes:

I like the clean professional look and feel of gnome. Seems to run better too. Ive got KDE 3.2 installed as well and I use it too, but imo, its just plain ugly.

if you ask me what I prefer between gnome or kde, I'l say gnome simply because it doesn't look like windows :laugh:

KDE is the standard gui with the "windows" toolbar that we are all familar with. Gnome has the gui layed out differently and that's what I like about it.

Another reason why I prefer xfce above those two, since it looks even SIMPLER.

This doesn't mean I use gnome or any desktop environment for that fact. I have Dropline-Gnome (gnome made for slackware) installed but fluxbox is my window manager and that's all I need :D

Right now, in the poll, KDE & Gnome are in a dead heat! 13 to 13.

No surprise there for any of that have used Linux for more than 6 months! :laugh:

I always comment on kde vs gnome. I like how kde doesn't hide any settings, but i always feel icky using kde. It just doesn't feel right. Gnome is pretty cool in my opinion. It just feels right. Very technical i know, but its the truth.

I say GNOME.

It's very clean, looks great, and has great integration with the Ximian apps (and mozilla) - huge pluses in my book.

I've heard that KDE is a lot easier to develop for, and that I suppose is probably why there are a lot of applications for KDE. It just seems bloated to me - that and a lot of the themes for it seem to favour fat, gradiented titlebars, while I'm more of a minimalist at heart ;) I do respect the level of integration that KDE has - I hope that in the future it can reduce some of its bloat.

I'm currently using Fluxbox now, because I'm a speed freak. GNOME and KDE, while being excellent DE's, are not the greatest when it comes to speed. Nautilus takes quite a while to load ;)

I think GNOME is where all of the major innovation is taking place, with Project Utopia and all. Whenever I use KDE, I just feel like it has copied off of so many other desktops. To me, GNOME feels very professional. The Foundation isn't afraid to say "No! That app isn't needed", and it shows. Probably the thing I like most about GNOME is its simplicity. A GNOME app must comply to the very strict Human Interface Guidelines (HIG). That way, all of the apps look similar and don't provide more functionality than what is needed. It's like the goal of Firefox, but for the whole desktop.

BTW MG-Cloud, the new Nautilus loads instantly on my 600Mhz processor. It has improved so much.

I think GNOME is where all of the major innovation is taking place, with Project Utopia and all. Whenever I use KDE, I just feel like it has copied off of so many other desktops. To me, GNOME feels very professional. The Foundation isn't afraid to say "No! That app isn't needed", and it shows. Probably the thing I like most about GNOME is its simplicity. A GNOME app must comply to the very strict Human Interface Guidelines (HIG). That way, all of the apps look similar and don't provide more functionality than what is needed. It's like the goal of Firefox, but for the whole desktop.

BTW MG-Cloud, the new Nautilus loads instantly on my 600Mhz processor. It has improved so much.

Well said :D Your post is exactly what I was trying to get across, but in intelligible terms ;)

Yeah, I'm using the new Nautilus too (bmg gnome-current, although that's slowly getting replaced with official, masked gentoo ebuilds. geez, that package.mask is a pain because they keep changing the list of packages that are masked ;) ). That's odd, because my computer is a 1.53ghz athlon xp, and nautilus takes 4-5 seconds to load. Are you using some wicked cflags that I should know about? :D

Yes, this odd ... I see people with similar computers to mine saying that Linux has such great performance, but mine seems to be much less than theirs. I'm going to go do some digging around to see what I've misconfigured :p

That's odd, because my computer is a 1.53ghz athlon xp, and nautilus takes 4-5 seconds to load.  Are you using some wicked cflags that I should know about? :D

The spatial Nautilus loads immediately after i click. The browser mode Nautilus takes only 2 seconds, and I'm compiling stuff right now. Any wicked cflags? No. I am, however, using the "Simple" theme and the latest mm-sources with NPTL. NPTL makes everything go faster. :D Most likely it's because of my 1.5 GB of memory. Things tend to stay in memory.

As far as customizablitity, they are equally flexable. I have seen both kickass GNOME and kickass KDE desktops. You just have to know where to look