Is 1GB of RAM really that useful?

i've seen 1 gb sticks, they're $$$ though :p

and ya, as others have stated 1gb is good for doing media editing, graphics/video... also for playing unreal tournament 2k4 :p but i lived quite nicely on 512 for a year just before upgrading to 1 gb last month.

Increasing RAM allows you to do one thing that wil REALLY increase your performance for EVERYTHING... DECREASE SWAP FILE SIZE. The less a programs has to access your hard drive, the faster it will run, thus the less you allocate for the swap file, the more memory it will use instead and the faster things will be.

If you jsut install more memory without adjsuting your swap file, you are wasting your time. If you want to really see an increase in performance, decrease your swap file size so your computer uses more memory.

Please continue...because what you're saying makes no sense. The size of the paging file or just having one won't decrease any performance. In fact not having one can and will **** things up.

Speaking of Dual channeling, I'm new to this, can 2 512 MB DDR PC2700 RAM do that?

Also, can my motherboard - Gigabyte GA-7VAXP support that?

nope, doesnt look like your mobo supports dual channel memory

At what point can you turn off the page file, if at all?

I currently have 768MB and I am thinking of getting another 512 to "fill my last slot"...

I currently just let windows manage it for me so...

What should i set it to (with my current RAM and then with the new amount) and what type of performance increase can i expect?

At what point can you turn off the page file, if at all?

I currently have 768MB and I am thinking of getting another 512 to "fill my last slot"...

I currently just let windows manage it for me so...

What should i set it to (with my current RAM and then with the new amount) and what type of performance increase can i expect?

For having the most performance, there isnt a point at which you can turn the page file off. Technically you can turn it off at any time, but there is still going to be a performace hit. It doesnt matter if you have 128, 256, 512, or even 1 gig or more, you shouldn't turn your PF off.

So if i don't turn it off should i restrict the size or just let windows continue to manage it?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

well if you are limited on disk space, then i say restrict it to about 1.5 your ram. (ie: 512 * 1.5 = 768) but i for example, have a crap load of space so i let windblows manage it.

i've had 1gb of ram for ages now, and i noticed the difference going from 512mb. everythings quicker to load up (not by a huge margin) and feels more responsive. great for games too, like bf1942.

I agree :)

Get 1g, good way to future proof yourself.

Just wait till longhorn comes out - that thing is going to suck up ram like no tomorrow.

Considering XP usually usues around 100mb - pending on what you installed on boot up alone! And then you can tweak it to use about 40-50mb on boot up - that is how muhc crap is in it.

As for Games - Most of the textures and such are loaded into the video cards memory - if it loads into system memory your going to get lag - lets see like 4g/sec for system ram or like 17g /second for video card ram - pending on vid card

:D

Just wait till longhorn comes out - that thing is going to suck up ram like no tomorrow.

we dont know that yet, since longhorn is still alpha/beta there are mem leaks/problems, MS might fix that before it goes retail. But i agree, 1 gig is something that you should get to "future proof" yourself. cheers. ;)

Some analysts hint that the next version of Windows will require a 5 GHz microprocessor, 2G of main memory, a PCI Express bus and a widescreen display - as well as an "always on" internet connection.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0322/...t3-03-22-04.asp

:blink:

Just rumors of course, but I'd better save up some money for a widescreen display :p

I might have to get another 512 as well, now the question I have would be.. could I keep 2x256 and 1x512 without any problems at the speed I am at?

Don,t know the exact specs. of your board ,but if you plan on running dual channel memory you have to run matched pairs eg. 2x256 2x 512.Other wise you will lose the benefits of dual channel bandwidth.

Don,t know the exact specs. of your board ,but if you plan on running dual channel memory you have to run matched pairs eg. 2x256 2x 512.Other wise you will lose the benefits of dual channel bandwidth.

Yeah it's a little problem only have 3 slots, I know in order to get true dc I would need 1 512 in each channel but would have thought 2x256 = 512 and 512 in the other :wacko:

lol I may just buy a 512 stick, sell this and pick up another 512, thanks for the reply :)

I just figured out that my RAM usage is about 50% when I'm kind of doing nothing and around 70%-80% used when opening Photoshop and other stuff like that. Is that decent or should I upgrade to 1GB?

Since the day i got 1Gb of RAM installed Corel Draw Graphics Suite 11's start up time has been awesome...although i never used any other application like photoshop or 3d studio max.

Get 1g, good way to future proof yourself.

Considering XP usually usues around 100mb - pending on what you installed on boot up alone! And then you can tweak it to use about 40-50mb on boot up - that is how muhc crap is in it.

As for Games - Most of the textures and such are loaded into the video cards memory - if it loads into system memory your going to get lag - lets see like 4g/sec for system ram or like 17g /second for video card ram - pending on vid card

:D

Who cares what longhorn will use it doesn't matter. By the time longhorn comes out everyone's riggs today will be obsolete

Edited by Hardice

How cares what longhorn will use it doesn't matter. By the time longhorn comes out everyone's riggs today will be obsolite

I have a very good excuse of getting a new computer by then :p

Who cares what longhorn will use it doesn't matter. By the time longhorn comes out everyone's riggs today will be obsolete

Nothing is obsolete if you still can get what you need done, done.