Is 1GB of RAM really that useful?

For having the most performance, there isnt a point at which you can turn the page file off. Technically you can turn it off at any time, but there is still going to be a performace hit. It doesnt matter if you have 128, 256, 512, or even 1 gig or more, you shouldn't turn your PF off.

Thats not true at all, turnign the page file off may give you problems when editing video or sound or lots of large images, but it will give you a performance boost by makign your software use physicval RAM instead of virtual memory.

How does allowing software to page RAM data to a much slower medium (disc drive) give a performance increase ?

except when you're with a woman :p :rofl:

why do you say that? If you can get "It" done for both of you in 5 minutes, whats wrong with that?? :woot: :shifty:

sharkfinbowl: I do not think getting 1 GB of memory will fix your problem. If everyday windows stuff takes forever on your machine with 512 MB of ram, I do not for see you having that much of a speed increase with 1 GB. What kind of hard drive do you have? This may be your bottleneck. Also, you may want to reformat BEFORE you spend the money on the ram, you may find that it fixes your problem and It won't cost you an extra 100$.

why do you say that? If you can get "It" done for both of you in 5 minutes, whats wrong with that?? :woot: :shifty:

Oh, it's fine until she reads Cosmo and finds out how many multiple "Its" that other women claim to have.

Thats not true at all, turnign the page file off may give you problems when editing video or sound or lots of large images, but it will give you a performance boost by makign your software use physicval RAM instead of virtual memory.

How does allowing software to page RAM data to a much slower medium (disc drive) give a performance increase ?

Your software will always use physical memory before virtual--there is no such thing as forcing it to, that's the job of the OS to manage memory not yours. Many applications will indeed need the paging file to operate correctly as you mentioned.

Oh, it's fine until she reads Cosmo and finds out how many multiple "Its" that other women claim to have.

thats why you dont let her read cosmo. :p sneaky, aernt we :ninja:

Yeah I recently upgraded from 512MB to 1Gig, and loading up games(Farcry, BF1942/DC, UT2004) is much faster. In WindowsXP the difference really kicks in if you keep the computer on for several days without a reboot. If you're getting new RAM make sure its no slower than 400mhz so you have potential upgrade-ability.

i have 2Gb of PC3200 on my P4 server (dual channel) :cool: RAM was a bargain then, so i quickly bought another 2 to fill up my 4 slots.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-146-312&depa=0

Any good? I was thinking of getting DDR500 to keep for a future upgrade, timings shouldn't mean anything because it should be tighter at a lower mhz I'm running..

Might even get two, and then sell the current Kingston I have now but still unsure (may buy 1, sell this and get another for DC) :ninja: