Driver Cleaner 3.0 RELEASED!

Driver Cleaner Utility

v3.0

Date: Mar 30, 2004

Size: 1.33Mb

Download and Article: http://www.3dchipset.com/utilities/nvidia/removal/dclean.php

Improved:

Code optimized (Changed a lot)

Creative Audio cleaning file

ATI WDM cleaning file

ATI MMC cleaning file

nVidia cleaning file

ATI cleaning file

Readme steps

Fixed:

Black around buttons with windows themes

Small bug in dropdown boxes

Small bug in the Wizard

Bugs in code

Added:

Cleaning Options (Select if it cleans Files, Registry, Directories or all)

The option to make a full registry backup when the cleaning starts

Language files (Chinese, Danish, Hungarian, Portuguese, Russian)

Creative Audio Lite cleaning file beta (Cleans only the driver)

Log Viewer (View the log files created with the log option)

Updated:

Language files (English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish)

I think there used to be conflicts between older driver sets so you would have some problems overinstalling drivers. I am not sure that conflicts of this nature appear in todays newest drivers from ATI and nVidia. I uninstall my drivers when I upgrade but its an old habit.

of realizing that you'll have to reinstall windows because this soft deleted needed driver?

Yep had to do that last night because of the SOFTWARE!!! Do not use this Software!!! It deletes your system32.dll

I used this program a few weeks ago after buying a new Radeon 9800 AIW, to remove my old nVidia drivers. I followed the directions to the letter, and as advertised, all nVidia drivers were wiped off my system. The ATI card worked fine.

Then came the problem: I didn't like the ATI 9800 AIW, I wanted to just get a normal 9800 Pro. So I sent my 9800 AIW back to Newegg for a refund. I go to install my GeForce 4 ti4400, and low and behold, it can't find drivers! Common sense tells me that maybe the driver cleaner deleted the built in drivers. No big deal, I head on over to fileshack to download a fresh set of nVidia drivers. I install 'em without a hitch, and then I reboot.

*gasp*

640x480x16 @ 60hz! My eyes! Oh god I'm blind!

I spent the next two days working on the box, trying to get the videocard to install properly. For whatever reason, it would show up in device manager under the 'Other Devices' category. The drivers were installed properly, and according to device manager they were working just fine. I tried various driver versions, even tried swapping in an old GeForce 2 MX; no dice.

In the end I just formatted my box and was done with it. I really can't recommend this program, and based upon my problem I'll never use it again. But it did seem to work just fine for removing all traces of the nVidia drivers, and if you're going ATI/nVidia and don't plan to switch back to your previous videocard, you could give it a try. But then there's also no real advantage of removing old drivers, unless you're having problems with 'em. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."