Canada: File-sharing victory!

TORONTO (CP) - The Federal Court has ruled against a motion which would have allowed the music industry to begin suing individuals who make music available online.

Justice Konrad von Finckenstein ruled Wednesday that the Canadian Recording Industry Association did not prove there was copyright infringement by 29 so-called music uploaders.

He said that downloading a song or making files available in shared directories, like those on Kazaa, does not constitute copyright infringement under the current Canadian law.

http://hispeed.rogers.com/news/tech/story.jsp?cid=z033115A

Hmmm.... I should consider moving to Canada if that's the scenario...

Anyway, you should have said "appears to AFFECT both down & uploaders" :p

But I would like to know if there is a significant difference between American and Canadian laws that define what copyrighted materials are... :huh:

Hmmm.... I should consider moving to Canada if that's the scenario...

Anyway, you should have said "appears to AFFECT both down & uploaders" :p

But I would like to know if there is a significant difference between American and Canadian laws that define what copyrighted materials are... :huh:

In Canada you can borrow a CD, make your own copy and then return the CD to the owner. This is fully legal.

However, it is illegal to make a copy of your CD and give it out to a friend.

We pay a levy on each blank tape, blank CD and blank DVD. As well there are levies on removable media. It varies from 29 cents to 77 or more cents per blank.

In a way, those who do not copy music help to subsidize those that do.

More info than you would ever want to know here: http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml

you know guys, our ISP all suck balls but for one reason I dont understand except for "private life law", they do not want to resolve IP to ppl and addy and give infos to RIAA equivalent in canada.

Well, I know this is such here in Quebec where Videotron, Sympatico and Cogeco don't want to give infos

I can't say for the rest of Canada because I think that Telus in BC gives info to CD industry

Please correct me if I'm wrong for ppl in BC

In Canada you can borrow a CD, make your own copy and then return the CD to the owner. This is fully legal.

However, it is illegal to make a copy of your CD and give it out to a friend.

We pay a levy on each blank tape, blank CD and blank DVD. As well there are levies on removable media. It varies from 29 cents to 77 or more cents per blank.

In a way, those who do not copy music help to subsidize those that do.

More info than you would ever want to know here: http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml

can you say that cd-r ur buying are expensive?

I think not. They should increase that and leave dvd-r more expensive too

you know guys, our ISP all suck balls but for one reason I dont understand except for "private life law", they do not want to resolve IP to ppl and addy and give infos to RIAA equivalent in canada.

Well, I know this is such here in Quebec where Videotron, Sympatico and Cogeco don't want to give infos

I can't say for the rest of Canada because I think that Telus in BC gives info to CD industry

Please correct me if I'm wrong for ppl in BC

Actually you have it backwards. Videotron was the only ISP that was not prepared to fight the CD Industry. After all they are owned by Quebecor who produced intellectual property.

Shaw Cable in B.C. was the most adamant about fighting for privacy rights. Telus, Rogers and Bell were somewhere in between.

Actually you have it backwards. Videotron was the only ISP that was not prepared to fight the CD Industry. After all they are owned by Quebecor who produced intellectual property.

Shaw Cable in B.C. was the most adamant about fighting for privacy rights. Telus, Rogers and Bell were somewhere in between.

That is correct! :)

And do I ever love being a Canadian! (for more reasons than this btw.. haha) :)

I thought Sympatico wanted to follow videotron that said no to keep privacy of their customer

That's it im moving to canada.

not for nothing but exactly what i was thinking as well...

and no not just because of downloading music, not even close... it just seems Canada on a whole has a much better and relaistic approach to overall living, human rights, and world affairs (i.e. they are not tyrant bullies)... then again most places do these days compared to the United States of AmeriKKKa... if Bush is not ousted this upcoming election, I seriously will consider leaving this god forsaken country.

Canada rules, legalize weed, file sharing... much better life isnt it? :)

weed is tolerated, not legalized

if you get cought with a certain amount that i dont remember, you will have a $$ bill to pay

But, you wont have criminal folder.

weed is tolerated, not legalized

if you get cought with a certain amount that i dont remember, you will have a $$ bill to pay

But, you wont have criminal folder.

30 Grams last I heard, which is a substantial amount.