Baldurs Gate III, Neverwinter Nights II Update

April 03, 2004 - While we reported that Baldur's Gate III is no longer being developed by Black Isle and published by Interplay in our recent Missing in Action: The Lost Games of the PC, Part 1 feature, it looks like the third installment of the popular RPG series is still in the works and will be published by Atari.

In a recent post on the Atari message boards, an Atari representative confirmed that Baldur's Gate III and Neverwinter Nights II were indeed in development, and that the games would be published by Atari.

In a post stating that "All Atari's game are crap.," an Atari representative replied with the following post:

All crap...? You either need to expand your sample size or refine your expectations. Here are some fantastic recent Atari titles:

Godzilla: DAMM

APEX

Battle Engine Aquila

DBZ

D&D Heroes

Civ 3

Rollercoaster Tycoon

NWN

Unreal Tournament

Unreal Championship

Huge titles on the horizon:

RCT3

NWN2

BG3

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone

Driver 3

And, several others.

There's good and bad with any publisher folks. We've got more good than bad although at times it can be hard to see when you're particularly frustrated with a single title or recent experience. It's the same with every publisher in the business...we're not in the business to stick it to consumers we just miss the mark on some titles.

Although no concrete developer information has been announced as of yet, since the original BioWare-developed Neverwinter Nights was published by Atari, we assume that they will return to work with Atari again on the sequel. We can only hope that the Canadian RPG masters are working on Baldur's Gate III as well as the previous Baldur's Gate titles were developed by BioWare, but again, no solid developer information has been given for either title.

While the post was made on April 1st, a day known for an abundance of gags and pranks, the representative asserts that the post is "No April Fool's Joke. We've got dozens of titles in all stages of development. We're currently talking with several top developers about creating the next generation of our strongest D&D RPGs. This really shouldn't be a surprise...lots of RPG goodness in the future from Atari," and that "Atari is the sole licensor of all D&D interactive properties. We could bring back Gold Box games if we were so inclined...and maybe we are... Man, I loved those adventures. My purpose here is simply to make sure you all understand that we're well aware of the importance and popularity of the franchise (meaning D&D ) to most of you. We've got some fantastic titles in our catalog and we are absolutely planning to do something with them. The whos, whats, wheres and hows...well, that's what we'll be saving for a full-fledged announcement."

We'll have more on these two Dungeons & Dragons sequels as we hear it.

Source

April 05, 2004 - Over the weekend we reported that an Atari PR representative had posted on official forums that Baldur's Gate III and Neverwinter Nights II are in the works.

Well, now that we're into the working week, we've had a chance to check with that very same Atari PR rep, Brandon Smith, as to just what's going on. As it stands right now, neither title has been officially announced. Rather, the point of his post was to say that Atari owns the rights to both of these franchises (and all new Dungeons & Dragons videogames for that matter), and has no intention to abandon either of them. In other words, even if Baldur's Gate III is not in active development right now, Atari has every intention of producing another Baldur's Gate title for the PC. Further, they know very well that another BG title has big shoes to fill, given the glowing reception that the first two games received from both critics and players. Atari wants to do right by the series.

Can we say that either Baldur's Gate III or Neverwinter Nights II are definitely, officially coming? Not at this time. But Atari knows very well the value of both franchises, and intends to release further PC titles for both. As for possible developers, it looks like much-loved BioWare is not a given for either (possible) title, though whether BioWare ends up being involved or not, Atari also assured us that new Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights titles would get the attention of a top-level developer.

While none of this is the solid announcement we want for either game, it's reassuring news for fans of the franchises, and for PC RPG titles in general. Look for more updates just as soon as we get them.

Source

MMORPG games are mostly for losers that don't have any real friends, and spend their whole life in front of PC, interacting with people they never meet face to face, and they think that those are real friends

and next time stay on topic!!

Baldur's Gate was one of my favorite games and BG 2 was awesome...so awesome when i found out i was getting it for christmas I couldnt wait to play it so i opend it up CAREFULLY, took the CDs out, packaged the rest back up, and played it for an extra 2-3 weeks before xmas :D

Baldur's Gate was one of my favorite games and BG 2 was awesome...so awesome when i found out i was getting it for christmas I couldnt wait to play it so i opend it up CAREFULLY, took the CDs out, packaged the rest back up, and played it for an extra 2-3 weeks before xmas :D

lol good one

MMORPG games are mostly for losers that don't have any real friends, and spend their whole life in front of PC, interacting with people they never meet face to face, and they think that those are real friends

haha -what an ######

:) :( so its a possibility but not a garantee.... so what - basically nothing new.

don't forget that Bioware got a still unannounced PC project

it could be BGIII or NWNII

because its not KOTORII, ex black isle employees are working on that