NEC Develops 30-Second Recharge Battery

NEC has developed a battery that is capable of being fully recharged in only 30 seconds. The organic radical battery can be charged to a similar level of power as nickel-hydrogen cells for portable MD players, digital cameras and other electronic devices.

The price will be around the same of nickel-hydrogen cell batteries, since it does not contain any expensive materials. NEC will first roll out the battery as a commercial computer emergency power source, later we will see hybrid gasoline/electric motors for cars, cell phones and just about anything else you would use a battery with. For once that damn energizer bunny will stop running.

Source

Impressive, But how many times is it rechargeable? i reckon with the speed its ramming in the power it will wear down something pretty quick.

i have a 30 minute charger, and personally, it doesn't bother me one bit. what i mean to say is, if you have 2 pairs of batteries, one in use, and the other as the backup, then it's highly likely that the second pair of batteries will be able to last the 30 minutes that the first set is on the charger.

sure, it's a nice technology, but i can't see a huge number of uses for it when compared to just having a second set of batteries around.

I think it will better for cars, etc not for a remote control or anything like that... charging those batteries faster would be a bigger deal.

I think it will better for cars, etc not for a remote control or anything like that... charging those batteries faster would be a bigger deal.

Yeah.

The biggest problem with pure electric cars is the recharge time. With gasoline you get to refill it and have full range and speed again in a couple of minutes, to do the same with electric takes a few hours of charging right now :)

Not to mention you won't need a spare battery for other things anymore, just plug it in to charge when you have a spare minute.

Yeah.

The biggest problem with pure electric cars is the recharge time. With gasoline you get to refill it and have full range and speed again in a couple of minutes, to do the same with electric takes a few hours of charging right now :)

Not to mention you won't need a spare battery for other things anymore, just plug it in to charge when you have a spare minute.

the amperage required to run a car, even to start one is enormous. Probably far more than those organic batteries, since they say they can power an MD player...

the amperage required to run a car, even to start one is enormous.

They could drain the batery charging capacitors if it charged as soon as the car started again ;)