Telstra launches hi-tech fibre optics pilot

The new Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) system will be tested in a pilot study of more than 200 homes at the new development of Brookwater, south-west of Brisbane.

The Australian-first pilot will begin in June, before being duplicated at a second multi-dwelling development at Emerald Lakes on the Gold Coast from September.

If successful, the system will be rolled out across new housing developments and small businesses across the country, towards the end of the decade.

Telstra chief executive Ziggy Switkowski said the new technology, which had been tested at the company's Melbourne laboratories, was the sign of the future.

"This is absolutely the state of the art," he told journalists.

"The technology of fibre optic networks is so good, it gives so much speed and the ability to make changes through reprogramming and software as opposed to physically rebuilding the architecture of the network, that we see this as being the preferred design probably for the next couple of generations."

The system allows homeowners to access four telephone lines, broadband internet data and digital subscription television services all through one small, fibre-optic cabling system.

Any upgrades to the system can be made directly from Telstra's exchanges and via computer software, instead of through the physical replacement of cables, as occurs with the present copper wire cabling.

Switkowski said while the system was currently more expensive, demand for the service was expected to push down the costs to equal or below that of copper within the next four years.

Source: The Age

Full Article: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/...1222454022.html

I have had fiber optic cable since last year.. 100mbit bidirectional... nothing state of the art about that. Of course Asia seems to be leading the way in terms of fiber development and deployment. Especially south Korea. Interesting though to see Oz getting the jump onto real speed.

Well, as I said in another thread, in Australia we're ahead in time, but behind in technology. So I guess it's sorta like a big deal here. LOL

So I guess it's sorta like a big deal here. LOL

It's sure is a big deal for Telstra! lol.

Just wait till the system is in full swing, the line rentel fee will sky rocket, not to mention the price of Foxtel ;)