ClearType Sure Is Pretty

After using Cleartype since XP came out (actually several months before it came out) I can't stand to not have it on. Everything looks terrible when I have it off. Cleartweak is definitely worth using to tweak it to your monitor and eyes.

After using Cleartype since XP came out (actually several months before it came out) I can't stand to not have it on. Everything looks terrible when I have it off. Cleartweak is definitely worth using to tweak it to your monitor and eyes.

I'd need a ClearType support group if it was taken away from Windows.

COMPLETELY untrue.  God I hate when people just pull things out of their proverbial behinds.

Longhorn will likely support updated anti-aliasing/cleartype schemes that make use of Avalon and high-dpi displays.

But I find it highly unlikely, nay impossible, that they'd release Longhorn without support for CRT monitors (ClearType only actually works on LCDs, despite the number of people that use it on CRTs anyway).

What? :blink: ClearType works fine on CRTs. And, are you beta testing Longhorn? Have you been privy to private discussion threads?

I think not. Sheesh. Not a good way to make friends, mate.

mm..that online wizard doesn't seemed to work for me...

The wizard doesn't work with FireFox, it only works with IE. I'd recommend dougkinzinger cleartweak utility. It will give you better control.

I personally prefer 1600 to 1000 but that's just me.

I'm running Fedora Core 1 and Windows XP. There is such a big difference. In Windows all fonts look pretty and in Fedora almost any internet site looks like sh*t due to the crap fonts.

The browser is also a factor. Try to find an XFT build of Firefox. It will look a whole lot better. The fonts STYLES still suck, but at least it's clear.

The wizard doesn't work with FireFox, it only works with IE. I'd recommend dougkinzinger cleartweak utility. It will give you better control.

I personally prefer 1600 to 1000 but that's just me.

wow...thanx, that utility is sure handy, less strain on the eye too! (i use CRT)

Concerning Linux and fonts, I'm not sure where you're getting YOUR fonts from :D

When I use my work computer running RH9, I can set most any application to run in anti-aliasing mode that will smooth fonts MUCH better than Cleartype or MS-anti-aliasing ever can.

Before "bash"ing (pun intended) Linux's fonts (which btw you can import most MS fonts into Linux if you know how), mess around with the OS more. I guarentee you can make it look purty.

whats the best setting for a crt? :)

To each his own. Download dougkinzinger's tool and have a go at it. The "best" settings are very subjective.

Try it for a week and see if you like it. I didn't like it either when I first saw it, but someone told me to keep it on and after a few days I'd start to like it. It turns out I can't stand it if ClearType is off.

I know exactly what you mean. :yes:

Cant use cleartype here myself, it feels like i'm straining ym eyes to read the text. Tried both on my CRT and my laptop's LCD, even tried the different settings and it seems that the text appears much sharper with CT turned off. I guess it's a matter of personal preference though.