Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 for FREE

The original Starsiege: Tribes and its follow-up, Tribes 2, are now beloved classics of multiplayer gaming. With these titles, Sierra helped define what online PC gaming meant, and the rewarding team tactics of both games remain exemplars of game design to this day.

Now, with Tribes: Vengeance set to hit stores late this year, Vivendi is stirring up Tribes fever again by offering the original two titles free. Yes, it's true. They may be chestnuts, but they're still worth plenty in gaming fun, and this is a spiffy deal indeed.

Where to find them? The June issue of Computer Gaming World will feature them on a pack-in DVD when it hits newsstands May 4. But you'll also have the option of downloading the games from our very own FilePlanet at the same time. The choice is yours -- though of course, we secretly think FilePlanet makes you cooler.

So if you've remained Tribes-less this long, here's your chance at redemption.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/505/505560p1.html

shocking, i paid like 60 quid for those games and now they're free?! i might just wait till half life 3 comes out and get the original for free. ******s!

awesome Ive had tribes2 for forever.. and the servers are always full its great.. PLENTY of people to play with.. I actually play tribes 2 a lot.. the only game I play more is ut2k4 :cool:

Wow! This is very generous of Vivendi, never seen any serious developer/publisher give out a game for free that wasn't a DOS game.

Hidden?nDangerous

Spec Ops: Green beretta

:))

Knew someone would prove me wrong. Just didn't know it would happen so fast! ;) :p

and BTW, I remember hearing that the first Rainbow Six is free somewhere

,Apr 11 2004, 00:37] and BTW, I remember hearing that the first Rainbow Six is free somewhere

I remember having it bundled on a PC Gaming mag (PC Powerplay Australia). Should I just go edit my post now? :laugh:

Wow! This is very generous of Vivendi, never seen any serious developer/publisher give out a game for free that wasn't a DOS game.

the original Grand Theft Auto

Tribes 2 was just SO good.. I used to play that game for an entire day at a time, straight with hardly any breaks.

And then I got broadband internet access!

Dunno why I stopped to be honest... should bring it out of retirement soon I think :)

Dunno why I stopped to be honest... should bring it out of retirement soon I think :)

Well, I could think of a number of reasons....

1. Vehicle thefts, you make a vehicle, someone hops in, drives away before you get a chance to get in. -Not really an issuie anymore because they released a patch long ago that makes you transport to the pilot seat of a vehicle you make

2. People cutting in line -Still a big issuie... people need to learn manners

3. Team Killing -As with any game, there are the usual team killers, but they seem to be more rampent in Tribes 2 since you can team kill equipment and vehicles even when team damage is off

4. The null voice bug, lets you play any sound in the game globally to the entire server -Never really fixed, but now servers have the option to block it

5. Not enough team players in public servers -Tribes is best when eveyone is a team player. Team player and general public isn't something you can mix very well.

6. UE -Unhandled Exceptions. You're playing, everythings going great, then, for no reason at all you get the famous UE and your game crashes. You don't know why, no one knows why, it can happen at random at any time, or it could never happen at all.. It's like Windows 9x, you'll never know why it crashed.

7. Bugs and exploits they never fixed, and never will -Force Field exploit, null voice, Multi-pack, ect..

Plenty of other things to list...

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a full supporter of Tribes 2, bought it the week it came out, and to this day I still play it.

Sweet. You can play online too?

IIRC, the Tribes games are Online *Only*, meaning there is NO single player mode (except for "Training").

Found Tribes 1 as a freebie on one of those "free ISP" CDs a few years back (should have been in 2000 or 2001). Never liked it much though. Tribes 2 does look a lot better, might be worth the download.