480W PSU required for NV40

Maybe they should take time to optimize the power usage of the card...

The same reason i havent upgraded my card yet is still the same...

THERES NO DX9 GAMES!!! STILL!!!!

So why in hell would anyone rush to buy a POS card thats power hungry?

Ahh well whatever idiots will buy i guess...

I have 4 HDD's, 1 DVD drive, and now I have to factor in this? Screw upgrading, I'm just going to "limp" along with my 9800 Pro for a while...

I have 4 HDD's, 1 DVD drive, and now I have to factor in this? Screw upgrading, I'm just going to "limp" along with my 9800 Pro for a while...

you will be fi ne with that card for a while, untill i sell my PSU to you lol

That is so stupid. If they are wanting you to get a new mobo for the DDR2, PCIe, and then having to get a new PSU, then we are all gonna be broke mofos.

dont forget btx. and why? you are correct, to make everything that we use now obsolete

the mobos are gonna have pins and the cpus are gonna have holes in the bottom

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Halo

Far Cry

There's 3 of them.

I find this a dubios report, but I've never liked the enquirer.

Dont know if these are true DX9 games... I think they are more DX 8 games using some of DX 9's feature set. I mean a game written top to bottom for DX 9 like Half Life 2...

Either way 3 games dosent justify buying a card like that and a 500+Watt PSU to power it...

Get a 9700 and you will be fine on those... Still stupid if u ask me...

Intel and AMD CPU's do far more work and use under 80Watts of power max...

Prob sound like a vacuum cleaner again.

wrong, going by thereference pictures and info it uses a new block neatsink cooled by a fan over the gpu which airs throughout the heatsink fins which cover a large portion of the central area of the card and only takes up the normal one slot height area.

Dont know if these are true DX9 games... I think they are more DX 8 games using some of DX 9's feature set.

Halo is a game with pixel/vertex shaders tacked on, IMO. And I'm pretty sure Deus Ex 2 is uses DX8.1 level shaders. However, Far Cry is definately full DX9.

No they don't. GPU's are significantly more powerful then most CPU's. Why do you think they cost more? A GPU is a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer), which in laymen terms means a CPU designed to a specific task only. In this case, for a GPU, it would be things like, say, calculating geometry, pixel processing, etc etc. Because GPU's are RISC', they need significantly less clock cycles to perform a single operation and are therefore much faster than CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer, a.k.a. CPU).

You can't expect developers to make games solely for a minority who have the latest and greatest video cards. However, a lot of these new games will benefit from having a next-gen video card, so I don't see your beef.

I mean a game written top to bottom for DX 9 like Half Life 2...

Half Life 2's engine was started in 1999, at which point Pixel Shaders we're still on the drawing board, and DX9 wasn't even a glimmer in a DirectX tech developers eye. Very few engines are built from the start to support a specific technology, simply because the industry is changing so fast and if they build an engine for a technology available today/in the near future, by the time the engine is used for a game it may already look outdated. FYI, Half Life 2 is meant to work just peachy keen on a Geforce 2 MX, but that doesn't mean it'll be disappointing for people with high-end PC's.

Dont know if these are true DX9 games... I think they are more DX 8 games using some of DX 9's feature set. I mean a game written top to bottom for DX 9 like Half Life 2...

Either way 3 games dosent justify buying a card like that and a 500+Watt PSU to power it...

cpus are different to GPU's, a GPU surpasses a CPU's workload many times over and does far more work. This is why mass-computing orgs like folding@home and SETI are trying to create programs that use the idle cycles of a GPU to compute data rather than CPU because efficiency and speed will increase many times over...

it's the inquirer... no need to trust that... ive heard about the dual power connector thing but ive also seen pics (or drawings) of it w/ just one.... so who knows. we'll find out real soon.

Halo is a game with pixel/vertex shaders tacked on, IMO. And I'm pretty sure Deus Ex 2 is uses DX8.1 level shaders. However, Far Cry is definately full DX9.

No they don't. GPU's are significantly more powerful then most CPU's. Why do you think they cost more? A GPU is a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer), which in laymen terms means a CPU designed to a specific task only. In this case, for a GPU, it would be things like, say, calculating geometry, pixel processing, etc etc. Because GPU's are RISC', they need significantly less clock cycles to perform a single operation and are therefore much faster than CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer, a.k.a. CPU).

You can't expect developers to make games solely for a minority who have the latest and greatest video cards. However, a lot of these new games will benefit from having a next-gen video card, so I don't see your beef.

Half Life 2's engine was started in 1999, at which point Pixel Shaders we're still on the drawing board, and DX9 wasn't even a glimmer in a DirectX tech developers eye. Very few engines are built from the start to support a specific technology, simply because the industry is changing so fast and if they build an engine for a technology available today/in the near future, by the time the engine is used for a game it may already look outdated. FYI, Half Life 2 is meant to work just peachy keen on a Geforce 2 MX, but that doesn't mean it'll be disappointing for people with high-end PC's.

Having one full DX 9 game still dosent warrent spending about $1K to redo your PC for the card...

Apple uses RISC Processors and are not as power hungry... I understand GPU's are built for more specific tasks and im not comparing in total the amount of work the chips do (CPU vs GPU) what i am comparing is the amount of power utilized in these chips. Since you all decided me comparing a CPU in terms of power usage was inadequate (or stupid) its still a idiotic rise over previous GPU's. Newer chips are usually built more efficiently and end up using LESS power vs more...

I didnt say developers will be making games soley for a "Minority" with the "High" end cards. What i was saying is there is no SIGNIFIGANT reason for these cards to even be released. They should spend considerable more time in R&D to get their power usage for one thing lowered. Newer cards will always be to some degree more powerful than previous cards. What im saying is there really nothing (There was a mention of a few games using DX 9) avalible to even begin to straing a Radeon 9700. Developers have to adjust to new technology, if you upgrade "Archectectures" as fast as GPU makers do the cards will always be more hype than reality.

Yes HL2 was started well before DX 9 was, but according to MS it (least the few months before it was schedualed for original release, if it has changed i havent been informed) makes the most use of DX 9's power and is the reason it was mentioned.