Adelphia Deploys DOCSIS 2.0

Nation's Fifth Largest Cable Television Operator Offers Its Power Link and Power Link Premier Services Nationwide Using Terayon's DOCSIS 2.0 CMTSs and Cable Modems

SANTA CLARA, Calif., April 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Terayon Communication Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: TERN - News), a leading provider of broadband access, delivery and management solutions, today announced that Adelphia Communications, Inc. (OTC: ADELQ - News), the fifth largest cable television operator in the U.S. has so far deployed more than 200 Terayon BW DOCSIS 2.0 CMTSs (Cable Modem Termination System), providing its Power Link and Power Link Premier services with added bandwidth for faster upload and download speeds, and improving performance for subscribers who frequently trade multimedia files such as digital photos, music and video, play online games and use peer-to-peer file sharing applications. Terayon was selected as one of Adelphia's primary CMTS suppliers last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The complete Terayon DOCSIS 2.0 solution allows us to stay ahead of our broadband competition by optimizing bandwidth and maximizing our existing infrastructure to offer higher speeds with greater reliability," said Marwan Fawaz, chief technology officer, Adelphia. "DOCSIS 2.0 has enabled us to increase our broadband speeds today, and it is ideal for future offerings."

"Terayon has led the cable industry with the first and only complete DOCSIS 2.0 cable data system, allowing operators like Adelphia to cost-effectively introduce the next wave of exciting broadband services," said Zaki Rakib, CEO of Terayon. "Our success helping Adelphia and other customers migrate to DOCSIS 2.0 during the past year gives us unrivaled operational experience into what is required for a smooth transition. We have used this real-world experience to further develop and refine our CMTS to make it the most robust and deployment-ready DOCSIS 2.0 CMTS on the market."

Adelphia is accelerating deployments of the Terayon DOCSIS 2.0 end-to-end solution in several of its markets nationwide.

Adelphia selected Terayon as one of its primary CMTS vendors after a successful and comprehensive trial in its Los Angeles network. The trial tested Terayon's BW 3500 DOCSIS 2.0 qualified CMTS and TJ 715x DOCSIS 2.0 certified cable modems in an end-to-end system configuration. The results validated the advantages of DOCSIS 2.0, including its improved upstream performance and reliability when delivering high-speed, high-bandwidth service.

About Terayon's end-to-end DOCSIS 2.0 System

Terayon offers the only complete, end-to-end cable data system that meets the DOCSIS 2.0 specification. The system is comprised of the TJ 715x cable modem and the BW 3500 or BW 3200 model CMTS.

The TJ 715x is the latest of Terayon's DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems, more than 1.5 million of which have been deployed by operators worldwide, including the top five U.S. operators.

Complementing the TJ 715x is the BW 3500 CMTS, the industry's first and only CMTS qualified to meet the DOCSIS 2.0 and PacketCable specifications. The BW 3500 is a scalable, carrier-class CMTS for operators' most demanding broadband voice and data applications for residential subscribers and for business customers. Deployed in a cable operator's headend -- the central point of a cable network -- the BW 3500 manages DOCSIS cable modems deployed by the operator's subscribers, forming an end-to-end system for delivering broadband services. Terayon also offers the compact BW 3200 CMTS, which is suited for smaller cable systems or large segmented systems.

About Adelphia

Adelphia Communications Corporation is the fifth-largest cable television company in the country. It serves customers in 30 states and Puerto Rico, and offers analog and digital video services, high-speed Internet access and other advanced services over Adelphia's broadband networks.

About Terayon

Terayon Communication Systems, Inc. provides access and delivery management platforms for broadband providers, cable companies, satellite operators and broadcasters for the delivery of advanced, carrier-class voice, data and video services. Terayon, headquartered in Santa Clara, California, has sales and support offices worldwide, and is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol TERN. Terayon can be found on the web at www.terayon.com.

"Safe Harbor" Statements under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995:

Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements, estimates and assumptions by Terayon and other parties that involve risks and uncertainties, including Terayon's ability to gain new business; Terayon's ability to develop new, technologically advanced products; the performance capabilities of the TJ 715x cable modem, the BW 3500 CMTS and the BW 3200 CMTS; the reliability and capabilities of DOCSIS 2.0; the acceptance of Terayon's new products in the market; the sales of Terayon's new products; the expansion of operations by Terayon's customers and the deployment of Terayon's products in specific markets; as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in Terayon's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

NOTE: Terayon and the Terayon logo are registered trademarks of Terayon Communication Systems, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Source: Yahoo Finance

@ 91.95/m for "premier" they can go take a hike. :laugh:

Edited by xStainDx

My parents have Adelphia, so this is pretty neat. I'll check it out when I head home in a few weeks. Thank god we got a DOCSIS 2.0 compliant cable modem :D

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

i'm going to call them right now and see if i can get one :D

EDIT:: I ALREADY GOT IT :D

Timdorr, I spoke to customer suport. I hope you can afford $91.95/m

Dave: Welcome! This online chat service is available to help you sign up for Adelphia's High-Speed Cable Internet Service...

Dave: If you need Adelphia Customer Service support PLEASE call 1-888-683-1000.

Are you ready to sign up for our High-Speed Internet service or do you have any questions?

you: How fast is Adelphia?

Dave: The maximum download speed is up to 3,000K. Average download speeds range from 1,000K to 1,500K.

Dave: The uploading speed is up to 256K.

you: What about DOCSIS2.0?

you: You just deployed 200 CTMS

you: i read artical in todays news

you: will speed increase with PowerLink Premier?

Dave: Power Link Premier is a high-speed Internet service from Adelphia that offers even faster upload and download speeds than the standard Power Link service plus provides enhanced email features. You will have download speeds of up to 4 Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 512 Kbps. It also provides for up to 10 individual email accounts that can share a total of 100 Mb of network storage. Power Link Premier is priced at $91.95. To order this service you will need to contact our customer service team at 1-888-ADELNET.

you: or the rates you display are for Powerline ?

you: 91.95?!

The speed is rated in Bits and not bytes. Thats a freaken rip-off. I use OOL we get 10/1Mbits for 49.95/m even without DOCSIS 2.0 CTMS. We still use DOCSIS 1.0 CTMS.

$91.95 Just for the internet ? or with T.V Bundles ? cause my girlfriend would love this ....I pay Shaw 97.50 a month With T.V *5 outlets* for 5000/1000. If it's 91.95 just for the net I'd say people are gonna drop em & go with someone else.

-Romeo

It's $91.95/month without cable service. If you already have cable service from Adelphia, then it's $79.95/month. Reeeeeed: http://adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/pl_premier.cfm

However, I still wonder if the page is updated to the DOCSIS 2.0 numbers yet. There's a difference between announcement and implementation.

Also, you can get 6.0/786 from Speakeasy for $99.95/month. I'm seriously considering getting that :)

Edit: This link gets you 8 free static IPs, the shell account, and webspace - http://osdn.speakeasy.net/promos/osdn/osdnpage/?e=b&al=

You will have download speeds of up to 4 Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 512 Kbps.
for $90 a month? that cant be right..

Currently I am getting 3Mbit down and 256Kbit up for $39.95 a month... to get permier service in my area is only $10 more a month. Someone at adelphia must have their numbers crossed. As for DOCSIS 2.0, the 4Mbit speed is on a DOCSIS 1.0 modem, the 2.0 modem will apparently have higher speeds then 4Mbit per second. rumor has it, it will be 6-7Mbit up and 1.5Mbit down form the tech support guy I just talked to... but we're under the old plan... so I guess the new one with the big web site account is what they are chargeing $79 a month for right now... I wonder if you can get a customized service with out the extra stuff like web site and all that additional email...

Edited by neufuse

it's still a rip off price.

i can never go back to cable TV like you can never go back to dial-up once you have high speed internet.

$40 for DirecTV and $50 for internet Cable = $90 for 3Mb per second and 2x the channels without having a gay channel guide, without the cable company constantly changing the network channels, without having to share two networks on one channel. shall i continue? ;)

It's $91.95/month without cable service. If you already have cable service from Adelphia, then it's $79.95/month. Reeeeeed: http://adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/pl_premier.cfm

However, I still wonder if the page is updated to the DOCSIS 2.0 numbers yet. There's a difference between announcement and implementation.

Also, you can get 6.0/786 from Speakeasy for $99.95/month. I'm seriously considering getting that :)

Edit: This link gets you 8 free static IPs, the shell account, and webspace - http://osdn.speakeasy.net/promos/osdn/osdnpage/?e=b&al=

or you could move to canada and get the super l337 internet here, 5000/512 for 49(CAN)/month or the pro internet for $69(CAN/month which is 10000/1000, with up to 8 static(i forget which is which, the one that does not change is the one i mean) ip's, and 10meg each webspace dor upto 10 peeps and shell :D,a nd if you also have normal telly then you can get if even cheaper, 64.95/month!, btw the banwith caps are a joke, they say they charge extra if you go over but they never do (ie i have it, i routinely use up a good 60GB banwith a month)

I'm happy with the 3.5 down i get from comcast. I can hardly ever get a download to go that fast anyway (only rarely from fileplanet premium servers and such). But the 256kb upstream is killing me. I wish I could just go back to 1.5, if only they'd give me like 512 or 768...

and yes, $90 or even $70 is a ripoff for any home net service in my opinion. and that much for just 4Mbps?!?! You gotta be kiddin me ;)

~armaddon

it's interesting to notice how things between europe and US/CA have been inversed in the last few years

4-5 years ago you guys used to have the fastest speeds for the lowest prices and unlimited transfers, while we were limited to 512/128 for 60us$ a month with 200MB up max per month

now, with my current ISP, I get DSL 5500/384 for 30 euros a month, including 100% free phone calls over the dsl line to landline phones in my country, ultra cheap rates when I call intl or cells and this also includes 50 TV channels distributed over DSL

My ISP just upgraded the regular package so for $45/month I get 3000/900 and unlimited transfer for $69 it's 4000/900 and unlimited transfer

damn you canadians ;)

Considering the exchange rate, since Canadian providers have to pay US providers in US $$$s I'm surprised were paying less. Plus, we have "smaller" cities so I can't understand how we still pay less. And our Cable TV rates are the same or less. Hell, yeah!

It would be nice to live in Tokyo where the bandwidth is dirt cheap, last I read.