Pat Tillman killed in action (KIA)

Click here for article.

Click here for a better article thanks to CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former?NFL?player Pat Tillman was killed Thursday while serving as an Army Special Forces soldier on a mission in southeastern Afghanistan, Pentagon officials have told CNN.

Tillman, who walked away from a $3.6 million contract as a safety with the Arizona Cardinals to join the military after the Sept. 11 attacks, was in an area where numerous U.S. troops have been killed in battles with suspected al Qaeda and Taliban fighters.

He was serving as an Army Ranger, part of the Army's Special Forces. Tillman played for the Cardinals from 1998-2001.

More details are forthcoming.

Damn...:no:o:

Edited by Callaway

I just read this on CNN.com :cry:

I remember when ESPN first announced his decision to turn down the contract and joint the SF, I couldn't believe it. The news outlets should give this much more attention than it's getting; for once, a professional athlete has put others before him, an extreme rarity nowdays. Didn't Muhammad Ali dodge the Vietnam War? :no:

Fukcing Bush is really starting to irritate me now...

This is really sad because he sounds like a great guy. First he turns down millions to remain with the Cardinals instead of going to Super Bowl Rams because of his loyalty to the team even though the Cardinals are a joke. Then he gives up all his millions of playing football to join the military after Sept. 11th to fight in Afghanistan. You probably cannot find this same quality of person in the NFL who would give it all up to serve his country.

Yeah, we should just abondon the country and get more Middle Eastern hatred driven toward us. Nothing beats another attack, eh?

Tragic story. I wish there were more people willing to fight for what they believe like he did.

I just read this on CNN.com  :cry:

I remember when ESPN first announced his decision to turn down the contract and joint the SF, I couldn't believe it. The news outlets should give this much more attention than it's getting; for once, a professional athlete has put others before him, an extreme rarity nowdays. Didn't Muhammad Ali dodge the Vietnam War?  :no:

Actually these 2 situations are very different. They were forcing Ali to go to war, ?I ain?t got no quarrel with them Vietcong.? That was his 1st comment, which is absolutely true the vietcong did not attack america, usa attacked the vietcong. ( i dont know the full history behind this war). "If I thought going to war would bring freedom and equality to twenty-two million of my people, they wouldn?t have to draft me. I?d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up and following my beliefs." those were his exact words. Why would he go and kill innocent people when it forbids it in his religion. So please check the facts before you mention something like that. Again these 2 situations are miles apart.

My condolences to the NFL star. What he did was very brave.

Yeah, we should just abondon the country and get more Middle Eastern hatred driven toward us. Nothing beats another attack, eh?

Tragic story. I wish there were more people willing to fight for what they believe like he did.

I don't quite understand why you quoted me and then referred to abandonment. My statement had nothing to do with yours.

As far as Muhammad Ali goes, so what? Did any of the other people who were drafted, such as my dad and uncle, have a choice? NO. The Vietcong did nothing to them, yet they honored their commitment to their country. But, because Ali is a high profile athlete and a celebrity (something we in the USA put too much emphasis on), he had the opportunity to state his view and not go to war. If my father or uncle were to have said no to the draft, they would have got fined and put in jail and labeled a deserter of this country. But, hey, it doesn't matter. Like you said 2 different situations.

really sad story...they said he decided to go right after he got back from his honeymoon with his wife. so not only did he turn down the money, he gave up his marraige/wife....really sad.

think about what you said. and then think about how many different beliefs people have, and how warped many of them are. while it's a noble idea, i would much rather the world be filled with people who keep their beliefs to themselves, and don't impose them on others. people fighting for their beliefs (warped or not) has been the cause of every war.

it is sad, but not because hes an nfl player who gave up things to go across the ocean and serve his country. because its sad when someone dies. people give up their lives every day fighting this unending war, whether they leave a large house and a football career or their family or even an empty house, they should all be given just as much thought.

Y'know, I watched Pat Tillman play a few times, and remember thinking....Damn....this guy hits like Ronnie Lott! Glad I'm not playing against him....

But, I also remember an interview that radio DJ Jim Rome did with Simeon Rice after Tampa Bay had destroyed the Raiders in the Super Bowl, and Rome wanted Rice's comments on Tillman, since they were former teammates on the Cardinals. All Rice could say was, "Well, the guy wasn't that great a player." and other ridiculous stuff like that. Well, if you ask me, Pat Tillman is several times the man, and the hero, that Rice can ever hope to be! God Bless You, Pat.....Rest in Peace....and Welcome Home.

"I've got something deep inside of me....courage is the thing that'll keep us free!" - Rick Derringer, "Real American," WWE Anthology CD #1

Whoever said that they hate Bush now has no clue what they're talking about.

1. Tillman volunteered for this situation. He wanted to go. There is no draft, so how can you say that he was forced to go? He had a freaking $3 million contract on the table and chose to go to the war because of his heritage!

2. Tillman agreed with Bush's sentiments about Afghanistan, if not Iraq. Afghanistan we know for sure because of interviews, but we never knew his thoughts on Iraq.

3. Afghanistan is not Iraq. Stop assuming it is. They're two completely different situations. Afghanistan is basically the United States paying for it's mess up when we didn't stay after the Soviets were ousted.

4. Al Queda was in Afghanistan. We wanted 'em. There you go.

Anyways, R.I.P :(

it is sad, but not because hes an nfl player who gave up things to go across the ocean and serve his country. because its sad when someone dies. people give up their lives every day fighting this unending war, whether they leave a large house and a football career or their family or even an empty house, they should all be given just as much thought.

I second that, with one more thing... I will choose honor him, not be saddened by his death. He died doing what he believed was right, standing for what HE believed.

Tell that to someone who actually wears the uniform while they serve to protect the country that gives you the right to make such asinine statements.

...people like you do the same to me, so we're all even.

I'd never heard of Pat Tillman prior to today; I didn't know a person like him could exist in this day and age.

Pat Tillman represents yet another example of why those in the military earn my respect instantly without effort.

"without effort" - DELTA

what the hell are u talking about

therz no effort in joining the US ARMY? no effort in serving hte US FORCES?? what the hell,, people like u make comments like these before making sure they even make sense

damn I didnt know Tillman but it seems as if he was a nice guy

"without effort" - DELTA

what the hell are u talking about

therz no effort in joining the US ARMY? no effort in serving hte US FORCES?? what the hell,, people like u make comments like these before making sure they even make sense

damn I didnt know Tillman but it seems as if he was a nice guy

huh Shady?

I don't think Delta was trying to criticize anyone in the military. I think Delta was trying to point out that those willing to join the military have his upmost respect for the fact they are willing to be put in a situation where their life may be on the line for the safety of our country. Regardless what branch of the military or what role they hold.