To those who hate Bonds..

He has had 51 at bats this season and 35 walks. That makes 16 at bats in which the pitcher was probably forced to pitch to him. Those 35 walks were mostly intentional, but some others were probably where they pitched around him (like if there was no one on). So lets say there have been 20-25 at bats where he probably was actually being pitched to. He has 10 home runs. That is 1 home run every 2-2.5 at bats where he is being pitched to. Barry Bonds gets one or two pitches a night that he can do something with. And he has a league leading 10 home runs. Sure, he may be on steroids, but they only do so much and to say that all of his production is solely from steroids is plain ignorant.

Walks don't count as at bats.

He has been pitched to 51 times and walked 36 times (17 intentional) in 86 trips to the plate.

So he actually hits one out about every 5.1 at bats.

But he does have 25 hits which makes his batting average almost .500, which is crazy good.

Steroids doesn't make someone hit homeruns, talent does. Because hitting a round ball with a round bat is the hardest thing to do in sports. It is why hitting .400 is remarkable, because in baseball, hitting safely 40% of the time is unheard of. I will still never call Barry Bonds the greatest at anything though. Player like Babe Ruth and Ted Williams didn't have in-depth scouting reports, statistical breakdowns of every pitcher, video playback, horrible pitching and off-season traing. Ruth spent many years as a pitcher, I believe he pitched for 5+ years. So lets be modest and say he hit 30 each of those years, 150 HR. Ted Williams is the greatest player to pick up a bat and swing it, he would hit specific portions of the ball, make it do exactly what he wanted it to do. Sure Bonds is great, but lets see him do it without science.

i'm still a hater. the guys just a prick.

indeed.

rbi's have become more important to me than home runs.

steroids may not be ALL of it... but its a damn good assistant.

Steroids doesn't make someone hit homeruns, talent does. Because hitting a round ball with a round bat is the hardest thing to do in sports. It is why hitting .400 is remarkable, because in baseball, hitting safely 40% of the time is unheard of. I will still never call Barry Bonds the greatest at anything though. Player like Babe Ruth and Ted Williams didn't have in-depth scouting reports, statistical breakdowns of every pitcher, video playback, horrible pitching and off-season traing. Ruth spent many years as a pitcher, I believe he pitched for 5+ years. So lets be modest and say he hit 30 each of those years, 150 HR. Ted Williams is the greatest player to pick up a bat and swing it, he would hit specific portions of the ball, make it do exactly what he wanted it to do. Sure Bonds is great, but lets see him do it without science.

We've heard this already 100 times.

Bonds has the skill. No one says he doesn/t the steroids add power to the skill.

Plus....the original poster's numbers are wrong.

And, yeah...he's still a big prick.

indeed.

rbi's have become more important to me than home runs.

steroids may not be ALL of it... but its a damn good assistant.

A home run is guaranteed runs for your team. A .500 batting average probably guarantees quite a few RBIs as well.

I can understand why people have problems with his attitude towards the press and fans, but the guy gets death threats every day. I'd probably be a bit on edge too. And he handles his fame a lot better than some famous athletes.

Even if he is juiced, steroids can't make you an excellent natural hitter. Even if he didn't belt a ton of homers his batting average would be quite high.

yea juice wont make u hit the ball more, probably not even harder. U can be as strong as the strongest man in the world, but someone with the perfect swing and only a fraction as strong as him can probably hit it a lot further than the roid monkey.

he wasnt nearly as good when he was on the pirates, nor untill about 10 years ago when he returned to spring training with the huge arms. Then all of a sudden he starts belting them left and right. Hitting home runs doesnt make you a great player. Hell Lo Duca just hit his first home run and he's batting .416 Pete Rose and George Brett werent home run machines like Canseco, McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds are, hell I was watching a game on EPSN Classic when Sosa was a member of the White Sox and damn he sucked hard.

1986 Pittsburgh Pirates 16 .223

1987 Pittsburgh Pirates 150 25 .261

1988 Pittsburgh Pirates 144 24 .283

1989 Pittsburgh Pirates 159 19 .248

1990 Pittsburgh Pirates 151 33 .301

1991 Pittsburgh Pirates 153 25 .292

1992 Pittsburgh Pirates 140 34 .311

1993 San Francisco Giants 38 .336

1994 San Francisco Giants 37 .312

1995 San Francisco Giants 33 .294

1996 San Francisco Giants 42 .308

1997 San Francisco Giants 40 .291

1998 San Francisco Giants 37 .303

1999 San Francisco Giants 34 .262

2000 San Francisco Giants 49 .306

2001 San Francisco Giants 73 .328

2002 San Francisco Giants 46 .370

2003 San Francisco Giants 45 .341

If you want stolen bases thrown in there too, he'd look even better. His number of homeruns is loosely correlated to his batting average. I think he may, in fact, just be a good hitter.

LOL Is this baseball? :laugh:

No offence, I jus don't like it. Does anyone besides Americans play 'baseball' ? :huh:

Canada has teams in the MLBA, and Japan has a pretty well known league. Many of the players come from other countries as well, particularly the Carribean Islands.

The fact of the matter is, bonds is more about himself than his team. I hate that.

You hate most star basketball players too? And if I was on the Giants, I'd think more of myself than the team. Granted its not a good way to look at your sport, but the man could really use a better team. His batting average is higher than his teams win record.

I do hate most star basketball players, yes. The ONLY way to win is to play as a team and when you are in a locker room and your locker is decked out with recliner and TV's and all and no one else has the same thing, it create a rift between the player and the rest of the team.

You have to realize, I coach youth basketball (took this year off) and team work is something I work my ass off on these kids because it's the only way to win. When guys like this step up and glorify themselves and overshadow their team, I get mad. He can not and will not be able to win it all by himself.

Canada has teams in the MLBA, and Japan has a pretty well known league. Many of the players come from other countries as well, particularly the Carribean Islands.

Oh i See! Thanks. :)

LOL Is this baseball? :laugh:

No offence, I jus don't like it. Does anyone besides Americans play 'baseball' ? :huh:

I live in Dominican Republic and here that's the national sport, also, most of the MLB superstars from the 90s were and still are dominicans

I do hate most star basketball players, yes. The ONLY way to win is to play as a team and when you are in a locker room and your locker is decked out with recliner and TV's and all and no one else has the same thing, it create a rift between the player and the rest of the team.

You have to realize, I coach youth basketball (took this year off) and team work is something I work my ass off on these kids because it's the only way to win. When guys like this step up and glorify themselves and overshadow their team, I get mad. He can not and will not be able to win it all by himself.

I agree with you to some extent, but you've got to admit he gets treated that way because of the team he's on. Imagine if Bonds were on the Yankees, he would have to play like another guy on the team. Plus, baseball is a decidedly non team based sport. If your teammates aren't any good, you have to pull for the rest of the team.

On the other hand, I think when you see a guy like Jordan, who's obviously dominant, but made sure he pulled the rest of the team with him, you see someone who is a true team player. But it's a rare find, because the athlete who is good is obviously going to have an ego to go with it.

I like Pie.
# Posts in a particular forum need to stay on topic. If you want to talk about something that is drastically removed from the topic of a forum, please take it to General Discussion. General Discussion was set up and designed for members to discuss issues not related to a specific forum section. We welcome most general conversation in the General Discussion, but discourage it from other forums.

Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention.

No spamming. Spamming is characterized by the initiation of threads or posts that contribute nothing to a forum, be it off topic or on topic. Examples include: empty bodies, bodies with few words that have no relation to the current thread or discussion and those posts that state they are spam, either to annoy, advertise or increase a member's post count. Resurrecting old forum posts is also not appreciated unless it serves a worthy cause to the forum. This determination is made by the forum Moderator or Administrator and is not up for discussion.

read the rules bud. or feel the wrath.

hehe, i hate most nba players too.

what was that number before his BA?

HRs. There isn't any season where his HR output was grossly larger than his BA.

Bonds owns. In the sport. You all must just be jealous or something.

If he is proven to have juiced - then ban him like Pete "the liar" Rose.

If not - let him play.

And yes, personally, he is a ######.