DivX to DVD (mpeg2)

using tmpgenc or another method how long does it usually take you on average (i know times are different) to convert divx (~700mb) avi to an mpg2 for dvd? could you post approximate times and system specs? im trying to compare my set-up to see whether any upgrades are worthwhile.

mine takes 3.5 to 4.5 hours on a 2600+ athlon with nforce2 mb, 512 of ram and onboard nvidia gf4 mx graphics.

use mainconcept mpeg encoder (http://www.mainconcept.com/)

it converts in realtime and let's you choose alot of settings (bitrate cbr/vbr, audio settings etc.)

means if i have an 1,5hour movie 700mb divx it'll create mpeg1/vcd or mpeg2/svcd files of my choice, preferably 2x 800mb svcd in only 1,5 hours. and i'm using an oldass asflon 2400 with 512mb 333ram.

Edited by insanekiwi

Takes me around 2.5-3 hrs. Using TMPGEnc, on a XP2600+ Thoroughbred B, 1Gig DDR333 on NForce2 Dual Channel mobo, 120GB Maxtor 8MB Cache, NVIDIA FX5200 128MB. What setting do you have your motion search precision in TMPGEnc set to? I use Motion Search Estimate...

:)

Edited by XNukeyX

767mb divx to dvd spec mpeg2 (720x576 res) 8mbps variable bitrate stream, 384kbps 4800khz mpeg 2 audio says it will take 2.6 hours,

same but svcd spec (480x576) 2.5mbps vbr, 1.7 hours

Athlon 64 3200+, VIA K8 chipset, 512mb pc2700 ddr, GeForce FX5950Ultra.

i find tmpeg horribly slow, takes half the time on Cinemacraft Encoder, which is a higher quality encoder, but its commercial software.

Bear in mind that encoders prefer raw MHz and memory bandwidth, so a high clock P4 would crunch it in less time.

Well your encoding with a lossy codec from an already lossy source file, so the quality isnt as good as the divx, but you can play it on a dvd player so its a plus

not that it matters to me, i have a divx/xvid dvd player :)

I use DVD2DVD along with TMPG and it takes 1.5-2.0 hours on my p4 2.4c with 1gb ocz platinum and raid 0 WD raptor 10k drives. I go from AVI 2 SVCD and you can't really tell a difference.. takes 2 cds, or you can go from AVI 2 DVD and then no difference.. I do both ways, just depends on if I have any blank dvd's but like i said before i used it to go to SVCD and that worked great before i got my dvd-rw

I also recommend visiting this site. Doom9 Guides