S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl

woah nice stuff. im sure they're utilizing all the capabilities of dx8. im sure they could of done so much more with dx9

woah nice stuff. im sure they're utilizing all the capabilities of dx8. im sure they could of done so much more with dx9

Actually the game is one of the most dx9 compliant titles, but the most scrinshots to date are dx8 only, because they don't want to spoil the goodness :) oh and btw to future 6800Ultra/Extreme owners, S.T.A.L.K.E.R will support PS3.0 :yes:

for those who care, the writing on the wall in the gun room posted by Dynasty Illusions above, says "We were here and were drinking beer *******(name is hidden) and Dima"

I guess it's a good thing it was just beer, and not Vodka, 'couse you know 2 Russians in a gun room and Vodka..... the story just writes itself :rolleyes:

Actually the game is one of the most dx9 compliant titles

no such as thing as "dx9 compliant" title

game doesn't need to do anything to be "compliant" since there is no "standard"

no such as thing as "dx9 compliant" title

game doesn't need to do anything to be "compliant" since there is no "standard"

exactly what I was rhinking, its like he was talking about a web browser or something :huh:

but lexor, I get you point, however, how do you know that? the screenshots are so many and so general that something made by dx9 must be obvious at this stage, but so far I just see dx8

As hard as it is to belive, all of these screenshots so far have been of their DirectX 8 engine.

Well, almost all...there's still controversy over one or two of the screens/trailers. Many believe that because they show bump mapping/specular highlights that they are DirectX 9, but I argue that these effects are capable in DX8 (or at least PS1.3)...there's been big debates on this matter.

But I can say with certainty that 98% of what we have seen of this game is Dx8.

We will see Dx9 at E3, when they are going to show an interior level (under the sarcophagus).

As hard as it is to belive, all of these screenshots so far have been of their DirectX 8 engine.

Well, almost all...there's still controversy over one or two of the screens/trailers. Many believe that because they show bump mapping/specular highlights that they are DirectX 9, but I argue that these effects are capable in DX8 (or at least PS1.3)...there's been big debates on this matter.

But I can say with certainty that 98% of what we have seen of this game is Dx8.

We will see Dx9 at E3, when they are going to show an interior level (under the sarcophagus).

bump mapping has been available since dx 8 so thats not a reason, still, with dx9or not the graphics looks great, thats even a favorable point for them, displaying such great art (still with some texture blurryness) in just dx8

Here is the central piece of controversy, from an older trailer...

Dx8 or Dx9? You decide...

indeed that look dx9-ish

,May 10 2004, 16:43] indeed that look dx9-ish

Therein lies the conondrum..

GSC says that there will not be any Dx9 media until E3 this year, yet this trailer released sometime last year at least LOOKS Dx9-ish. I suspect it may be Dx8.... when the trailer in question was released they hadn't even announced they would be making a Dx9 engine version :huh:

bump-mapping can be done w/o any shaders.

i don't see anything "dx9-ish" as you put it in that screenshot.

folks i think you need to go read up what was added in directx9 and what can be done with shaders 2.0

You know that, I know that, I think the bulk of the people here know that. Just 4 more days till the public will see if the Dx9 engine will be THAT much different. :)

Though if you want my opinion, I suspect a similarity to Far Cry. In Far Cry there is bump mapping and dynamic lighting, though they are turned right down when in an outside environment. The second you enter an interior area, suddenly bump mapping/specularity/dynamic lighting is on everything.

I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will use a similar system. The thought of dynamic lighting, bump mapping every surface, and calculating real time soft shadows on every object on an outside non-contained map is quite daunting to say the least.

The light source reflection on the tile is a DX9 shader. That type of visual is not possible using DX8 and lower.

au contraire (or however it's spelt)