Running Mac OS X on x86 PC!

Question

oh and, few more questions:

1 - should i get the CD's for tiger ( 10.4 ) instead of using 10.3 will it be faster?

2 - is sound support (ive heard about recently ) any good?

3 - how do i get a transparency effect like this?

http://www.pearpc.net/images/screenshots/1114703542.jpg

4 - why do Apple make panther/tiger etc?? i dont understand it

5 - can i upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4?

6 - i heard you can run pearpc on linux, is it faster on linux?

585874099[/snapback]

1 - from what I heard 10.4 is slow and buggy on PearPC, so I'd say stick with 10.3

2- The sound support is very poor.

3- Already answered by 5 people

4- To make money. That add a few extra features and then get the marketing team to hype it up. It's business baby.

5- Yes, but you'd probably be better off just doing a clean install to a blank image.

6- PearPC on linux is about the same speed. You probably won't notice any difference (I haven't).

EDIT - You beat me to it again emon! Crap.

and how do i make it faster?.. its only registering at 800mhz on my computer and i got a 3200!

585874252[/snapback]

There really isnt a way to make it register a "faster" processor. The emulation really steps down the speed for lack of a better term. I would open up more memory to PPC and see how that helps.

and how do i make it faster?.. its only registering at 800mhz on my computer and i got a 3200!

585874252[/snapback]

If you're not using the Altivec branch version, grab it here, it supports G4 emulation, that should increase your speed. I have an athlon 3500+ and get 1.19GHz. Also be sure to check out pearpc.sf.net (at the top of the page) on how to enable G4 support.

Hi all,

I am a new member of forum and trying to solve my problem with pear pc. I had several problems while this week and solved one by one. NOw I am close to last step. I can start prear pc and get the mac boot screen but nearly half of the screen is black. I can see some buttons but I could not menage to jump the disc partition abd booting step.

is there any one who knows this problem or has seem a solution for it anywhere else in forum pages.

I found one who has same problem like me he sad he solved the problem but not knows how he solves :(

I spend a week and need to start to use mac in my pc for my thesis.

thanks for intrest,

moncici

Ok, I get to the install screen where it asks you to choose a destination volume for the mac osx but no hard drives/partitions appear?

Andone got any advice?

cheers

amr_01 thanx for the help

got another problem now though :(

i now get to the point where its asking me to insert disc 2, i've tried swoping the discs in the config file but then it doesn't load properly. i think by doing it that way its booting to the cd2 first instead of the hd image. could virtual drives be of a help? anyway do you or anyone else have any advice?

thanx

How fast is this pearpc nowadays?

586723844[/snapback]

I haven't used it in a long time, but as far as i know there haven't really been any improvements. Run the Altivec 0.3 branchAltivec 0.3 branch and it's not too bad, and has the G4 extensions.

amr_01 thanx for the help

got another problem now though  :(

i now get to the point where its asking me to insert disc 2, i've tried swoping the discs in the config file but then it doesn't load properly. i think by doing it that way its booting to the cd2 first instead of the hd image. could virtual drives be of a help? anyway do you or anyone else have any advice?

thanx

586724866[/snapback]

When it wants the second cd, change the following line in the config file to look like this: prom_bootmethod = "select", this will allow you to select which device to boot. You should be able to select your HD image from there.