Half Life 2 New Preview, Interview and Screenshots

IGN has a pre-E3 hands on with "New details, new impressions, new screens, new love." Get it Here

GameSpot Previews Half-Life 2

We posted earlier about the hands-on preview that IGN GameSpy had written, but it appears as though GameSpot has had the opportunity to play the game too. You can see their opinions of it right here.

@ HalfLife2.net

May 10, 2004 - Half-Life 2. Now that's a name that stirs up a variety of emotions in gamers. Since it was announced almost a year ago, many gamers have moved from lust and desire to confusion and bitterness. Some have even gone straight to the "irrational venomous seething hate" level. The way some gamers talk about Half-Life 2 on Internet message boards around the world, you would think Valve had found the cure for cancer and is withholding it from the masses. I recall one poster who summed up his thoughts quite eloquently: "how culd u do tis to us wit teh liar!11!1! i hop u get hit by car and die!1!!11" Oh, the wonders of the Internet.

No matter what anyone says about Valve and Half-Life 2, you know it's still the game they're most looking forward to this year. And why wouldn't they be? Started soon after the release of the original, Half-Life 2 has been in development for five years, and when Valve sprung it on us at last year's E3, I think everyone was a bit surprised at how amazing it actually looked, and that Valve had managed to keep it under wraps for as long as they had.

Although we've been reporting on the game for a year now, we haven't had a chance to play it -- until now. At a recent pre-E3 event hosted by publisher VU Games, I finally got a chance to go hands-on with the latest build of Half-Life 2. After playing for a bit, we can, at least, say that we hope Valve stays away from errant autos and follows all applicable pedestrian laws.

Enough with all that though, let's get to the real reason you're here: to read about how the game plays. I booted up the 3.4GHz Radeon 9800XT equipped machine and waded into Half-Life 2. I started up the demo and was told that the first scene I would be playing was about 10 minutes into the game, after a brief introduction by our old friend the G-Man.

IGN.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/512/512580p1.html?fromint=1

half-life-2-200405081121500.jpg

wow amazing how all the online magazines say they have exclusive pictures/interviews/whatnot

wait its only IGN and Gamespy....i swear they suck the same bone...

all dealing with that merger....

Apparently, you haven't seen any in game videos because it won't suck. Even if it's the same as the original (which it isn't) it'll be great!

Apparently, you haven't seen any in game videos because it won't suck. Even if it's the same as the original (which it isn't) it'll be great!

the videos are really cool yes. But they don't automaticly decide that hl2 will be totally awesome. But, my guess is that it will still rock though

picky, picky, picky

Picky or not, he's right. It looks terrible having them hovering above the ground, I'm sure it'll be fixed before release (if not then I lose all faith in Valve) but I would have thought they'd fix it before putting out promotional shots. Its just another thing for people to pick holes in now.

The gameplay is going to be top notch no doubt but ive given up on the graphics far cry and games comming out like stalker have done better. With the time spent since sept. 30th you would think they coulda pushed up the bar on the graphics. This is certianly not what everyones basing "Oh wait till it comes out to buy your new video card" bah that allready happend with fary cry. If you can play far cry on your card you can play this no problems. And no im not a far cry fanboy or anything i just think hl2 is going to be a bit low on the graphics when it finaly shows up this summer