What OS is best for Games ?

LOL I CAN ONLY SAY LOL

XP will always be the best, until something new comes out.

This is not cause XP use less resources, although it DO USE LESS than all the others.

You know why? CAUSE NEW GAMES ARE MADE MAINLY FOR THE NEWEST WINDOWS OS!

If your computer is 2GHz+ or 2000+ (AMD) with 256+ RAM, go XP, if it is less, go Windows 2000 SP4... 2000 is just xp without the kiddie stuff (great for older machines, takes only 50mb to boot, vs 100ish for xp (and thats a stripped xp too)

2ghz? I used to run xp just fine in my old 550 mhz machine

You can run xp on old systems as well, but it depends alot on FSB, cache and so on.. this is not only in your CPU, but in your RAM as well.

I remember reading somewere that win server 2k3 was better for games than xp home or pro, aslong as u follow the guide to turn 2k3 into a workstation.

But mostlikely not much in it.

,May 12 2004, 07:14] 2ghz? I used to run xp just fine in my old 550 mhz machine

but it WILL be slower then it.. fine 1.5GHz for XP, but if your a high end gamer with a slow OS

xp home/pro Pro and Home don't differ too much, but if you have multiple computers on a Network definately pro. Either one is good for games.

Windows XP Pro will do the job just fine. :) If you are playing games such as Wolfenstein ET, Unreal Tournament 2004, Americas Army, etc, and you have a fairly decent video card with fairly decent drivers (for example, nVIDIA's Linux Drivers w/ OpenGL support), you MAY want to give Linux a try. But as I said before, XP Pro will do everything just fine :)

roomates and i have been using Windows 2000 Professional and Server on our main computers. no problems what-so-ever in comparison with XP, same frame-rates, same benchmarking scores, same drivers used.

if you have XP, stick with it, though if you have 2000, there is absolutely no need to upgrade just to play games. it solely depends on your hardware specifications and drivers used.

can anyone who chose XP justify why? i would be interested to know :)

If your computer is 2GHz+ or 2000+ (AMD) with 256+ RAM, go XP, if it is less, go Windows 2000 SP4... 2000 is just xp without the kiddie stuff (great for older machines, takes only 50mb to boot, vs 100ish for xp (and thats a stripped xp too)

Sorry where do you get that crap?

I have an AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz and Windows XP runs better on it then Windows 2000.... Infact my old AMD K6-2 400Mhz also runs better on XP then on 2000 (both have 512 megabytes of RAM).

The amount of RAM is way more important then the CPU speed when it comes to Windows XP. On a slower machine you just turn of the eyecandy and you've got a good machine which feels smoother then Windows 2000. At least that is my experience.