Boxing is the only REAL sport... ever.

What a load of utter tripe! Boxing - the only real sport, my arse!

Pretty much all the Olympic sports are based around hunting skills, fightling skills etc. How you could call running a marathon not a sport, what a freak!

Mixed Martial Arts (UFC, Pride FC, and to a lesser extent K-1) is the purest sport. Two men fighting with whatever style they'd like, the only rules involved are to protect the combatants from permanent injury. Jiu-Jitsu and Maui Thay experts have made a mockery of boxers, when they tried their hand at mixed martial arts. Boxing is entirely too restricted, even if it isn't fixed beyond belief, it's ideal state still leaves something to be desired for me.

MMA is fun to watch but more on the barbaric side. nowadays its gone to the ground and pound which is highly uninteresting. Since when is streetfighing a sport?

Boxing is a sport of pure skill and form. Boxers werent made for MMA if boxing is all they trained for their whole lives. Its funny, havent seen any MMA guys make it through the amatuer level of boxing. Id dare anyone of them to box against legitimate fighters such as Hopkins for example. Boxing is much more specialized, all you got is your hands and you have to be damn good with them.

Bump..

Got to see the replay last night. Cool.

How about that Mayweather fight. He looks pretty good at that weight division. Too bad he has sissy hands and a semi untested chin. Think its weak personally. Give Cotto some time, he will knock Mayweather out cold.

So far...

succesful athletes of another sport (hockey, football, etc.) have tried their hand at boxing. only to get knocked the puck out. Give boxing a break, try it someday before you knock it ;)

hehe...digi...you're eatin this boxing thread up...:) I'd love to see more boxing threads with active participation...but not enough fans.

Yeah, love boxing. Id much rather participate in these types of threads except like you observe, Id probably become a thread hog and wind up talking to myself :rofl:

Hockey, I sorta like hockey. I wasn't into it that much until i met my friends mom, she's a red wings fan. And she got me liking the redwings. I'm good at playing hockey, you should see my wrist shot, it'll break your knee off.

LOL its good to see you're into OUR (Canada's) sport :p but dont brag about taking hard shots untill you can rip the net or break the goalies helmet :p i've actually left a couple of defensmen crawling to the bench too :)

and as for the original post goes, like Fred666 said, "I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out"

ps. BOOG, your sig and avatar scare me everytime i read ur posts

well boxing aint all that gr8 to watch & not as entertaining as soccer , baseball , cricket,ice hockey or any of the other games but remember , its SPORT IN ITS TRUEST FORM , its always mano a mano & that makes it a real mans sport .

yeah, but what about judges? that makes boxing on par with figure skating, which in my mind is NOT a sport, it's a judged performance.

yeah, but what about judges? that makes boxing on par with figure skating, which in my mind is NOT a sport, it's a judged performance.

Without judges, the sport could get dangerous. Imagine if the object were to beat the **** out of one another until someone quits, gets knocked out cold, or killed. Has to be judged and its still a sport. they score points in almost the same way other sports do. Number of punches landed, effective aggressiveness, etc.

noting an earlier post... still summoning the boxing archive mummy for exact names of pro athletes that have tried their hand at boxing and failed. There are ones to date which crossed over from football, but that is college. Like Michael Grant for instance. College football, succesful in the sense he was groomed to meet Lennox. Failed miserably due to a jaw weaker than my 3 year olds. There are others just cannot remember names for the life of me.

• 11 months later...
Mixed Martial Arts (UFC, Pride FC, and to a lesser extent K-1) is the purest sport. Two men fighting with whatever style they'd like, the only rules involved are to protect the combatants from permanent injury. Jiu-Jitsu and Maui Thay experts have made a mockery of boxers, when they tried their hand at mixed martial arts. Boxing is entirely too restricted, even if it isn't fixed beyond belief, it's ideal state still leaves something to be desired for me.

2140820[/snapback]

That's not entirely true, the rules they have in place are to appease the athletic commissions and/or keep the fights entertaining. The reason Pride and K-1 don't allow elbows to the head is because of the high chance of opening a cut - nobody likes cut stoppages. The reason UFC doesn't allow kicks or knees to the head of a downed opponent is because the NSAC doesn't want to allow it, not because it's significantly more dangerous than getting punched or elbowed while you're down or slammed on your head.

Looks more like YOU'RE trying to get My attention. Stop reading my posts then, loser.

2138370[/snapback]

Dude, you so asked for it. That post was pure flamebait. All you did was slag all other sports, say Boxing rules, and let the flame fest begin. Saying football is gay doesn't really support your argument. Back it up son, show us what we are missing!

What happened to Prince Naseem Hamed (or whatever he was called).  At least he had some charisma.

2138476[/snapback]

today....

Prince Naseem Hamed is back in the news, although not in the way we're used to. Hamed's Mercedes was involved a three-car collision that left one man injured. The Prince was one of three men arrested for allegedly leaving the scene of an accident

heh.

...finally some boxing fans!!!! I thought I was the only one. I've gotta say, I'm really pumped about the upcoming Trinidad - Wright bout ....and Mayweather - Gatti looks like it could be promising, too.

I can admit, the Heavyweight division has been a joke for a while now, but if you go to the lower weight divisions, that's where the true excitement lies these days. When you look at the Welterweight divion...man, its just stacked with talent.

Anyway, I'd rather watch the blood and guts fighters like Pacquiao, Barrera, Moralez, Gatti or even the Golden Boy in his heyday 5-6 years ago...and if you go back about 20 years, I was watchin' the Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran bouts. Those guys always make/made exciting fights

I'm picking Trinidad in his upcoming bout, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Gatti's chin and size should carry him through the Mayweather fight. Any takers? :p

I'm also a huge UFC fan...anybody remember the Hoyce Gracie days? My wife and I watched the Ultimate Fighter reality show and enjoyed every minute of it...its only taken me 10 years to convert her into a fight fan :p ....and I have to say, the Light Heavyweight final between Forrest Griffin and Stefan Bonner was one of the best fights I've ever seen...totally exceeded my expectations and could threaten to make a fight fan out of anyone! :yes:

I'm picking Trinidad in his upcoming bout, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Gatti's chin and size should carry him through the Mayweather fight. Any takers?  :p

585864415[/snapback]

Dude, for the life of me I cannot stand what Mayweather's personality has turned out to be. Cant stand him, but, Gatti is an average fighter against Mayweather. Its a bummer, but he is only average. If Gatti wins, Im all for it. Slim, very very slim :/

Dude, for the life of me I cannot stand what Mayweather's personality has turned out to be. Cant stand him, but, Gatti is an average fighter against Mayweather. Its a bummer, but he is only average. If Gatti wins, Im all for it. Slim, very very slim  :/

585870522[/snapback]

...I do agree with you, Gatti's only got a slim chance as I don't think he'll be able to handle Mayweather's speed....but I'm just hoooooping Mayweather's glass hands and lack of power could be enough of a factor. It could be an upset, you never know. ;)