[Alpha] Pop Goes the GMail

Question

Pop Goes the GMail

PGtGM has been discontinued. Please use http://www.gnotify.com/gpopper/ instead!

PGtGM sits between you GMail account and your email client, converting messages from the web based mailbox into POP3 messages that a program such as Outlook Express or Firebird can understand.

POP3 server now fully works. You are able to download gmail emails through any email client. SMTP server appears to work.

Please post any bugs you find in the login process to the thread, or problems displaying messages.

Download

Click here v0.9 (120k)

NOTE: You need to have the .net runtimes installed. Click Here

Screenshots:

gmailtray1.jpggmailtray2.jpg

gmailnewmsg.jpg

pgtgmadvanced.gif

Version log:

0.1 Inital test version

0.2 Fixed displaying only first 5 messages bug, added better error handling.

0.3 Better error display for errors when parsing message arrays.

Prototype SMTP and POP3 server built in.

0.4 POP3 server now fully works.

You are able to download gmail emails through any email client

0.5 SMTP works, I hope.

Notifies of new messages with tool tip balloon on tray.

Fixed username not found bug.

Used TripleDES encryption to store password in registry.

Fixed problem with no messages in account

0.6 SMTP server accepts attachments

Added Outlook 2003 support

Fixed login bug

Added Mozilla mail client support

Added generic mail client support with correct error responses

Added email client setup page to about screen

Modified design and layout of main form

0.7 Modified the way PGtGM downloads mails

Added advanced tab with various new options

Added ability to change the POP3 and SMTP ports.

Added option to disable external clients from using PGtGM

Added message menu function to rcvd emails

Fixed incorrect password giving blank messagebox bug

PGtGM starts on the tray by default

Fixed unable to exit Windows bug

Added update checking on startup

0.8 Additons:

Allowed user to change port if it is already in use on startup

SMTP server supports RSET

Added better port-in-use checking interface on startup

Fixed 'contenttype text/plain' SMTP server bug

Added proxy support

XML output of messagelist everytime a check commences

Added confirm exit option

Fixed password incorrect doing nothing bug

Removed shameless advertising on outgoing emails!

Fixed main form not being displayed problem

Fixed constant notification of new messages

0.9 Fixed attachment sending bug (I hope)

Now supports multiple To and CC addresses

Added debug log feature

Moved back to Mentalis.org SSL dll

Tightened up security on SMTP server

Started work on IMAP support (doesn't work yet)

Fixed port not saved/max of 60 bug

Improved error handling

Edited by idbuythatforadollar

I tested it on a WinXP SP1 platform.

Outlook Express 6 works fine with PgtG

Outlook 2003 cannot seem to connect to PgtG

Thank you for this hard work!

I tested it on a WinXP SP1 platform.

Outlook Express 6 works fine with PgtG

Outlook 2003 cannot seem to connect to PgtG

Thank you for this hard work!

Worked out why it didn't like outlook, so this feature will be fixed for 0.6

I can't get this work in Outlook 2003, is there a trick to this or it just a bug awaiting a new release?

On edit: Nevermind just read back and saw that it was due to be fixed in 0.6 release, sorry.

Trying this with Thunderbird on XP SP1. Set it up as told, but TBird just says 'Connected to localhost...' when checking for emails, and never gets any further. Running the app on its own is fine, it connects and tells me I have email. But no go through Thunderbird.

Same with OE, pretty much: it gets to 'receiving list of messages from server' but then hangs and hangs and hangs.

No virus checker; no pc-based firewall, but I'm behind a firewall at work. Any ideas? Am using .NET 1.1 - should that be updated?

Great app, btw.

ok, 0.6 is out, main new features are outgoing attachments and support for outlook, and mozilla. havent tested thunderbird, but should work...

as for your error smokie, reinstall the .net runtimes, cos im pretty sure that error is caused by not having them!

Nice updates but I have a problem with 0.6 release. I keep getting a popup dialog with no message (see attached screenshot). It seems to popup non stop. Any idea what might be causing the problem.

post-12-1086213377.png

ok, 0.6 is out, main new features are outgoing attachments and support for outlook, and mozilla. havent tested thunderbird, but should work...

Same URL? Your page still shows it as 0.5. I'll download and install anyway and let you know...

Okay - that worked perfectly. Great stuff. Thunderbird handles it all fine.

By the way, how does it handle leaving or taking messages off the server if that's selected in the email client? Does it delete them from gmail completely, send them to the trash, or not do anything...?

Great app.

I have .NET 1.1 and I can't even start the program, I am getting this error:

Smokiethebandit: Do you happen to be using SP2, I get the exact error message word for word, but .NET runtimes are installed and working properly...

as for your error smokie, reinstall the .net runtimes, cos im pretty sure that error is caused by not having them!

I uninstalled completely and re-installed but it still does the same thing... :blink:

Edited by smokiethebandit

I am going to try install the BETA 2 SP1 for .NET framework 1.1 and see if it will fix the problem, will keep you posted.

Well got the beta 2 service pack installed for .NET and still doesn't work, I am beginning to believe it isn't something wrong with the .NET install.

post-12-1086364464.jpg

Well got the beta 2 service pack installed for .NET and still doesn't work, I am beginning to believe it isn't something wrong with the .NET install.

I'm having the same problem... and I don't know what to do

I believe it is a bug in the app, someone needs to send the debug info so we can figure out what is causing it.

It is also adding slashes when it imports the emails:

This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Office

Outlook\'s Account Manager while testing the settings for your POP3

account.

Great program, It looks really usefull (i dont have gmail) but just a few things.

1. A better name would be good, "Pop goes the gmail" just doesnt sound right, I like that GMailer name that was suggested earlier

2. Make it support xp visual styles, not really important but it would make it look better

3. In the about box where it tells you the settings to use in the e-mail client, you could make it grab the info from the main window and display it in the appropriate places.

I think "Pop goes the gmail" is a very good/clever name ((think...nursery rhyme)) - and this is a great application :D Thanks!

*hopes that gmail add pop support in the future*

I really have no problem with the name "POP Goes The GMail", it's just that in the ballons it says PGtGM, i think it would look cleaner to say GMailer, also the file name, but all that doesnt really matter. Again, great app.

Edit: Was the nursery rythme puff the magic dragon, it's the only thing i can think of that comes close

Edited by The_Decryptor

Great program, It looks really usefull (i dont have gmail) but just a few things.

1. A better name would be good, "Pop goes the gmail" just doesnt sound right, I like that GMailer name that was suggested earlier

2. Make it support xp visual styles, not really important but it would make it look better

3. In the about box where it tells you the settings to use in the e-mail client, you could make it grab the info from the main window and display it in the appropriate places.

Yeh, there have been a few calls to change the name,

I do like the pun though, its taken from a nursery rhyme 'Pop Goes the Weasel'. You can play the music on the about screen!

3 good points however. XP theme support is no doubt on its way, and i like the idea of displaying the correct details in the about box.