OS X 10.4 ONLY discussions and information

I think the whole file extentions could just go away as long as my songs have some icon to let me know they are songs. Thats how I have it set in Windows, with extentions hidden, cause I only look at the name and icon.

you are missing out on a lot of power features. you cant create any configuration files or anything like that. example, the user.js file for firefox. it starts out as a txt file, however, you have to rename it to .js to make it a configuration file. fore the average user, they do nothing, however, i find myself missing with filename extensions quite a bit.

I'll try and keep this quick because I haven't had my morning cup of tea yet...

you cant create any configuration files or anything like that. example, the user.js file for firefox. it starts out as a txt file, however, you have to rename it to .js to make it a configuration file.

On OS X configuration files are named "com.company.programname.plist", are stored in the users library folder, and the applications provide nice front ends to edit most settings; there is a command line tool called "defaults" that lets you edit them which "powerusers" (I had that word) use to enable hidden settings like the expos? blob and box. The is also the plist editor which will launch if you double click on any preferences file. Once again the extension is optional - it will still launch the plist editor even if the file has no filename - though if you change it to .doc then it will be sent to either textedit or word depending on what you have installed (which is the problem). If you want to call your files "blah.doc" or "blah.css" that's fine but the OS should be able to figure out what what to do with it.

the .js file (in my experience) are just javascript files - they do not require the filename ending in JS to work correctly in in browsers. if you named it "someifle.css" but still included did everything right browsers will use it correctly <script type="text/javascript" href="someifle.css"/>. Firefox requires that exact name for other reasons entirely - but i'm not going to talk about a program not designed for OS X, nor about absolute/hard coded path/filenames right now (which I also think are a terrible idea).

PS: I'm not a teacher, professor, debate team member, or lobbyist - though I have been considering running for civic office in the next election. I'm just a guy with a couple of computers, an understanding of how/why they work how they do, and some ideas on how/why they should work in the future.

lol, ill vote for you, just cause i know you. also, i wasnt saying that macs lack the functionality, just that pc's do when extensions are hidden. thanks for explaining how OSX works though. its really interesting and i want to get a mac just so that i can learn another OS, but i dont think its worth it. ill stick with pearpc.

Sadly Mac OS X now works much the same way Windows does (though it's handling of files without extensions is notably better). I'm saying that this isn't the best method and apple should fix it.

its really interesting and i want to get a mac just so that i can learn another OS, but i dont think its worth it. ill stick with pearpc.

Pick up a PowerMac 7300 or better off of eBay (the one I got was $40 plus shipping, and had a G3 upgrade card installed). Even a 200Mhz PPC is going to be faster than PearPC for some time to come. You can use XPostFacto to get Panther to install on older machines.

I think the whole file extentions could just go away as long as my songs have some icon to let me know they are songs. Thats how I have it set in Windows, with extentions hidden, cause I only look at the name and icon.

That is a very dangerous practice, because one of the primary ways that trojans and viruses infect Windows PC's is by having a hidden second extension, such as file.mp3.exe or file.jpg.scr. Microsoft has been ignoring the complaints about this from security professionals for nearly 9 years now (since Windows 95 was released). Since hidden extensions is the default behavior of Windows, many users never even find out how to turn this "feature" off.

PS: I'm not a teacher, professor, debate team member, or lobbyist - though I have been considering running for civic office in the next election. I'm just a guy with a couple of computers, an understanding of how/why they work how they do, and some ideas on how/why they should work in the future.

You should teach then! :D

I'm joking of course, but mostly I'm impressed by the way you can explain things so easily..... and clear.

thanks man, it still should be a part of the os though ;)

it is.... Go to System Preferences > Quicktime > MIME settings and set pdf's to be handled by Quicktime. and then you'll have PDF support in Safari. :woot:

I'm having some problems adjusting to my new mac. My 23' monitor doesn't fit on my desk, so my dad's gonna put it in the closet for a long while....great. I'm stuck with the damn 21' Samsung. I've got most of the "how do i do this" down, just need to learn the other more advanced features of macs. I've been using Windows since I was 8, so this is a huge change in my life. I'm trying to "think different" but it doesn't always work.

One thing that I really would like to see added to the upcoming OS is an interface with JVM (virtual machine) which should allow for a bunch of Java content to open (since most of the creators of this sort of software only come up with stuff that can be run from Windows platforms)...

I have tried to trick some of this websites into letting me "in" while using Safari "MIME-ing" IE v6, but I'm still coming out empty-handed...

If anybody knows of a way to get this done existing already in Panther, please let me know...

it is.... Go to System Preferences > Quicktime > MIME settings and set pdf's to be handled by Quicktime. and then you'll have PDF support in Safari.

Your suggestion does work, jdkramar, but once the .PDF file opens, all you can only see is the very first page of the whole enchilada, so the plug-in found at www.schubert-it is the best shot you can get at seamless .PDF prowling...

Edited by icaito

vcd and svcd support in idvd player (screw the $20 quicktime addition that doesnt work half the time anyway)

finder to find new files faster

some new games (chess is damn hard :blink:)

and maybe a built in DVD ripper and re-encoder :p

More Information that I managed to dig up:

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will include tighter integration with Apple's internet services and sport a refreshed Finder interface, according to reports that cannot be positively confirmed, but are believed to reflect accurate information on the latest builds of the OS.

Redesigned and improved .Mac integration

Reportedly, Tiger will feature a completely redesigned .Mac online services environment with added features. Aside from an overhaul to the look and feel of the .Mac website later this year, the computer company is also said to be working to revolutionize the way .Mac and its services are integrated into the Tiger operating system.

Faster iDisk performance

As part of the redesign to .Mac, Apple will be upgrading its numerous servers which power the service, sources said. This move, coupled with numerous other performance enhancements planned for Tiger, is said to greatly increase the speed at which users can access and mount their .Mac iDisks in the Mac OS X Finder.

Updated Finder and Mac OS X interface

Of course, no major Apple OS upgrade would be complete without several user experience and interface changes. The latest internal builds of Tiger reportedly sport a much improved Finder window sidebar, which sources have described as looking more like a 'web page' sidebar, than the current and icon-name scheme presented in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.

Along with these appearance changes, sources said that Apple will be broadening the functionality of the sidebar, specifically adding interaction with the internet. And while sources provided no specific details of functionality, industry analysts speculate that users of Tiger will be able to drag and drop internet bookmarks into the sidebar, for immediate Finder access to choice web pages and services.

Sources also said that Apple plans to add several new 3D effects to Tiger, but provided no specific details.

Deployment and cost

Apple will perform the first public presentation of Mac OS X 10.4 Panther during its World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) in late June. According to sources, Apple will issue the first developer release of the OS to conference attendees, with an official market retail release planned for October.

There are also mumblings that the company may plan to charge more for the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger update than it did for last year's Mac OS X 10.3 Panther refresh, though AppleInsider could not immediately confirm these rumors.

Apple last year provided developers with the first developer release of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther during its WWDC 2003 conference in late June, and followed with the retail release in late October.