What is the top supported sport in the world?

What is the top supported sport in the world?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What is the top supported sport in the world?

• Football
    • American Football
    • Rugby
    • Cricket
    • Hockey
    • Baseball
    • Horse-racing
    • Swimming
    • Cycling
    • Ice Hockey

this is a dumb thread it's common knowledge that the #1 sport in the world is soccer.
I agree, its obviously football (soccer to the americans)

What pillocks voted for American Football?

yep. Nascar is the most popular sport in the U.S.

I agree with you 100% on that. NASCAR in a few years I think will top NFL for the top spot in USA.

I think one of the main reasons footy (soccer) is the most popular are the streamlined rules. Twenty minutes into a game and you know what is going on. I've tried sitting down to watch rugby / amfoot / tennis etc and i still have no idea wtf is going on most times (and the stop/start/stop/start side of it just puts me off altogether, least with footy, the longest you'll have to wait for the game to start again is a few mins.)

Of course, football, futebol, f?tbol, balompie.....

But I guess the second most supported sport in the world would be Table Tennis, because its Chinas (population 1 Bill+) most popular.

The real question is, what makes Football number one? whats the main difference with American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Car Racing....?

My 0.02$: its because you dont need to be 2.10m or weight 100+ kg and be a gym prisoner to play, or be rich to buy expensive equipment, or have special facilities, you can play anywhere, anytime and with a rotten football....wheather youre 1.70m (estimate) like Maradona or 2m like Van der Saar (Hollands goalkeeper)...Its all about skill with the ball.

How do you not have basketball on there?

You said "supported". I don't see people walking around with soccer jerseys all over the world. Michael Jordan was AND is the most recognizable athlete in the world...but what do I know.

then try leaving the US once in a while...

Here in the US they call it soccer but I still call it football because American "football" is a disgrace to be called football.

The only sport I can watch tv is football. the american flavor is boring, baseball is 3 hours of looking at a person attempting to hit a ball as it is thrown to them and while i have respect for basketball as a sport, the players playing the game don't care for the game, but rather for the $$$.

BTW... thanks Neobond for changing Soccer to Football.

How do you not have basketball on there?

You said "supported". I don't see people walking around with soccer jerseys all over the world. Michael Jordan was AND is the most recognizable athlete in the world...but what do I know.

Michael Jordon more recognizable than Beckham? I think not. In the USA and Canada, sure but not in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, Australia. Even if we give Jordon Antartica then it's still five continents to two against.

Do you see the buzz the Becks created last year when he visited Japan? It was crazy.

I don't think that Michael Jordon (even in his prime) would generate that much interest.

When Becks adopted the #23 in Real Madrid (because his #7 was already taken) he didn't even know that that used to be Jordon's number.

why is ther Ice Hockey and Hockey?

I have no idea.

I know it's wrong but I voted for Ice Hockey just to feel more Canadian.

It's the top supported sport in MY world.

Although I would only consider the "Ice" prefix when speaking to people who live in far flung places.

Sadly enough, soccer. Any sport that can produce teams worth $1,000,000,000 must have something going for them. However, the Yankees aren't far behind.