A Neowin introductory guide to: watercooling

First and foremost- fantastic guide!

Does anyone know a good site, graph, etc that would allow some numerical comparisions between the CPU water blocks?

This Waterblock comparison should cover a few blocks you'd be looking at and give you a good idea of how they perform, with that pump and 1/2 id tubing you should see about 4-6 lpm (depending on your blocks) which will be great for a tdx or rbx :yes: good luck with your system ^_^

Many thanks again Enigma.

That guide helped quite a bit. I ended up getting the Danger Den RBX.

Short list of what I have officially ordered, if you have any suggestions they would be appreciated, hopefully this isnt cluttering up your thread to much.

Pump - Hydor L35

CPU Block - DD RBX w/brass top

Reservoir - Thunderbay 5-1/4"

Radiator - ProCool Dual 120 Heater Core w/2- Alum 80cfm/30db

Rest of it is the basics, all based on 1/2" ID tubing and 1/2" OD fittings.

Last question (I hope)...

I was thinking of using Swiftechs Hydrx for anti-algae and UV (for detecting leaks) along with Supercool for anti-corrosion. Would 2 additives be bad for the system?

Once again a neophyte to water cooling thanks you.

Edited by Bugsmasher

hmm, sounds very nice to me ^_^ ... should look nice with those fans too :yes: good choice dude

i see you switched to the hydor, they are a nice pump, i think arrowhead has one.. he loves it.

Try looking out for water wetter..definatly my recommendation for your anti corrosion additive

(edit:) however the swiftech fluid is easier to get and it does the job well.. go for that one if you can find it

as for two additives, if you add to much of the other fluids into your system, you'll see a decreased level of cooling performance, but then it all comes down to balancing that ratio doesnt it..... best to go pre mixed for now ;)

(/edit)

dont forget to test that system for leaks realy well and in the end, you'll have a great cooling setup !

Thanks a million Enigma

Gonna test the system for 48 hours outside the case, then once I move the parts into the case for another 12 hours with the system powered down. Hopefully that will allow any leaks to develope before I fire up the system.

I will definitely look into getting the WW or Hydrx, will most probably see whats easily available in my area.

On the pump I was looking into the Dolphin but after freight is added in my savings would have been less than $5 so it wasnt really worth it.

I was going to go with a half UV/half anti corrosive mixture for my additive. Then I was going to use that in a 10% additive/90% distilled water for my final fluid. Will see how that goes and report back.

great guide.

To bad I'm to chicken (you know) to even try it. Being my usual luck I would short out the computer...which in turn would short out the apartment complex which in turn would short out the city of San Antonio. :argh:

• 2 months later...

i get a "Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.enigma-penguin.info" error

perhaps a mirror of this would be good. i realy want to read this im thinking a lot about water cooling my computer this spring.

also i found waterblocks for 6800's but i got a 6600GT would the 6800 waterblocks work on my card or is there anywhere to find a 6600GT waterblock and is it even worth it.

There were some unforseen errors over the past few days.. I am very sorry. My host had forgotten to move my dns over to the new server >_<

It should all be fixed now :D