Gmail atachments size......

Songs, apps, games .... and legally? Doubtful. As for high resolution images, sorry, it's the internet, that's what JPEG compresion is for. P2P, instant messengers, and FTP are much better at sending files than e-mail.

For work? Because then you should have a work account, not some webmail one.

Yeah, they usually allow for as large as the mailbox is, but the three I've had over the years have been 10MB and 25MB accounts max.

Not to mention, you could just split the file into a few files with a rar program.

I ask again..........how STUPID are some people?

I'd make further comment than this, but your level (nee - lack) of intellect would cause your brow to furrow and you head to concurrently implode (as there is no mass to stop this)

Think that through again there buddy. If you said you couldnt fill you 6mb storage limit on your yahoo, why would you care that you cant send 10mb through gmail. I mean you said it yourself "most e-mails i send/get are more "notes" than anything else anyway, and for personal things that are worth keeping i usually still use the good old snail mail". Come now.

Exactly. Due to the limitations of mail accounts that is all they were/are good for.

Please dont post again in this thread, i know it's public, but you arent helping at all, thank you.

I guess some people are just pretty stupid, seeing as how youre putting on a good example of it.

Heh, and Im sure you didnt even understand a word you just said. I mean, you could of just said "you dont have a brain in your head" but no, you had to demonstate further your lack of intelligence. :rolleyes:

Im not gonna even bother with you anymore..

Exactly. Due to the limitations of mail accounts that is all they were/are good for.

Please dont post again in this thread, i know it's public, but you arent helping at all, thank you.

See, if you just asked nicely I would have left you alone. Good day sir.

See, if you just asked nicely I would have left you alone. Good day sir.

It was a pleasure speaking with you young man. :)

Have a great day and may all your wishes come true.

I tried to upload a game in .zip format that was just under 9.6 megs. Gmail wouldn't accept it, telling me that I had exceeded the 10MB upload limit. *shruggs sholders*

I tried to upload a game in .zip format that was just under 9.6 megs. Gmail wouldn't accept it, telling me that I had exceeded the 10MB upload limit. *shruggs sholders*

This kind of thing happens with Yahoo, it's not some crazy rounding up... but rather it's to do with them calculating the filesize either with bits or bytes... I can't be fugged to check right now but that's roughly why it dumps your file when it's like 0.5 under the limit.

100 is crazy

50 would be a good #

50 would be an improvement, 100 would be useable, unlimited (up to storage level) would be absolutely fantastic.

I make music and need (i know someone suggested ftp, but that's kinda unworkable for various reasons, i have looked into this before, and the limitations with p2p are obvious - unreliabilty, the lack or potential lack of anonimity, the fact the reciever has to be online and connected at every stage etc etc) to be able to send and recieve my source files (even when zipped this can exceed 3-400mb) at varying times (if i work with someone on the other side of the world, the obvious problem is timezones) so e-mail would be the perfect way to do this.

I ask again..........how STUPID are some people?

I'd make further comment than this, but your level (nee - lack) of intellect would cause your brow to furrow and you head to concurrently implode (as there is no mass to stop this)

Look, you can't expect any e-mail service to provide over 10MBs per mailing, it would take up way too bandwidth to transfer and be abused non-stop. Not to mention a) e-mail was never designed for file transfer and b) that's not at all the reason Google decided to go with 1GB of storage.

If you think these reasons are "stupid" and are just coming from my "lack of intelligence" then here's a great suggestion for you: don't use GMail, get your own e-mail account/server, and stop complaining. Then you can transfer all the files you want in an incredible inefficient way.

Look, you can't expect any e-mail service to provide over 10MBs per mailing, it would take up way too bandwidth to transfer and be abused non-stop. Not to mention a) e-mail was never designed for file transfer and b) that's not at all the reason Google decided to go with 1GB of storage.

If you think these reasons are "stupid" and are just coming from my "lack of intelligence" then here's a great suggestion for you: don't use GMail, get your own e-mail account/server, and stop complaining. Then you can transfer all the files you want in an incredible inefficient way.

I'm not a tech person, i wasnt even aware you could do this. *grovels* btw, stupid in my country means wonderful :huh:

Can you point me in the right direction concerning this?

But what is the difference between 10 Ten meg attachments and one 100 meg attachments in the end? To me it is about convenience. With digital photography and 8 megapixel cameras, it would be great to be able to attach 3 or 4 full-dpi images on an email. 100 meg is certainly doable, isn't it? Not that many people know how to use programs like WinRAR to segment their downloads and reassemble them. 100 meg would simply be easier to deal with, I think. I guess it is just a wish list item, but it is a good one.

I'm not a tech person, i wasnt even aware you could do this. *grovels* btw, stupid in my country means wonderful :huh:

Can you point me in the right direction concerning this please?

zing!

Can you point me in the right direction concerning this please?

Your best bet would be to look into a server that allows for FTP access, or posting your music on a website. That way someone else deals with the server, all you're doing is sending the files there and letting someone else deal with them.

The main problem with using your e-mail server to send files is that everytime you send the file to someone, it has to go from your computer, to a server, and then to each recipient. With FTP/HTTP it stays on the server. Also, expecting 50mb/100mb transfers assumes whoever is recieving the e-mail has an account witch allows them to accept transfers that large. FTP/HTTP gets rid of that.

Also, it's possible to share files directly through most instant messenger clients which would allow access at any time, and only by certain people. It's definately a feature in AIM, I'm not to familiar with the others, but it works quite well.

Your best bet would be to look into a server that allows for FTP access, or posting your music on a website. That way someone else deals with the server, all you're doing is sending the files there and letting someone else deal with them.

The main problem with using your e-mail server to send files is that everytime you send the file to someone, it has to go from your computer, to a server, and then to each recipient. With FTP/HTTP it stays on the server. Also, expecting 50mb/100mb transfers assumes whoever is recieving the e-mail has an account witch allows them to accept transfers that large. FTP/HTTP gets rid of that.

Also, it's possible to share files directly through most instant messenger clients which would allow access at any time, and only by certain people. It's definately a feature in AIM, I'm not to familiar with the others, but it works quite well.

Right......here's where MY erm.....wonderfulness kicks in :blush: :p

I downloaded filezilla (both the server and client) i am currently trying to connect to my self, and all i get is "(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> USER Me

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 331 Password required for me

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> PASS

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 530 Login or password incorrect!

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> disconnected."

How do i allow incoming connections? There doesnt seem to be an option on the server to verify wether someone can log in or not :(

I Managed to figure it out :p

Cheers for pointing me to this (inadevertantly :p )

Edited by take_the_veil

Right......here's where MY erm.....wonderfulness kicks in :blush: :p

I downloaded filezilla (both the server and client) i am currently trying to connect to my self, and all i get is "(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> USER Me

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 331 Password required for me

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> PASS

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 530 Login or password incorrect!

(000009) 18/06/2004 22:10:37 - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> disconnected."

How do i allow incoming connections? There doesnt seem to be an option on the server to verify wether someone can log in or not :(

I Managed to figure it out :p

Cheers for pointing me to this (inadevertantly :p )

I'm not too familiar with filezilla myself, the last FTP I set up was through WinXPs built-in FTP service. You can try starting a new thread on it though, I'm sure there are plenty of helpful people around here ;)

On the other hand, this is one of the reasons I mentioned any sort of direct connection program, or even a hosted FTP/web site. Even if you do get an FTP set-up on your home computer, you're limited to whatever download speeds you get through your internet lines. Even on cable around here, the upload speed is usually quite slow.

I'm not too familiar with filezilla myself, the last FTP I set up was through WinXPs built-in FTP service. You can try starting a new thread on it though, I'm sure there are plenty of helpful people around here  ;)

On the other hand, this is one of the reasons I mentioned any sort of direct connection program, or even a hosted FTP/web site. Even if you do get an FTP set-up on your home computer, you're limited to whatever download speeds you get through your internet lines. Even on cable around here, the upload speed is usually quite slow.

Yeah......i knida jumped the gun there. Since i am on 512/256, if multiple people were downloading / uploading a file (as i just tried there) it would take forever. (that's why i'm going back on the hunt for that e-mail holy grail, once i upload something as an attachment i can send it to multiple users multiple times with no (real) bandwidth restrictions at all (as it's placed on the mail server and the people recieving it........i think :p )

I guess you could use WinMX or something like that to get the files back and forth. I host files sometimes on Spymac.com's web service. It is free and I use WS_FTP and never even see their web site. 100 meg of space there. Helps with digital photos.

I think you guys confusing Gmail with a P2P application.

It was not meant to send games, movies or apps!

Although I would agree that for 1GB they should allow you to recieve a message up-to 20MB and send up-to 15MB.

I still dont understand how they are going to pull it off!

Edited by Caleb

I guess you could use WinMX or something like that to get the files back and forth. I host files sometimes on Spymac.com's web service. It is free and I use WS_FTP and never even see their web site. 100 meg of space there. Helps with digital photos.

Yep, that's one of the advantages of Spymac of Gmail. Take free webspace whenever you can get it.

On a side note, it would be great if Google not only made your e-mail account searchable, but also linkable. Like, if I had a picture in an e-mail file I wanted to put on a blog, I could link directly to that picture inside the e-mail rather than find some other place to host it. I should go tell them that :laugh:

I think you guys confusing Gmail with a P2P service.

It was not meant to send games, movies or apps!

Although I would agree that for 1GB they should allow you to recieve a message up-to 20MB and send up-to 15MB.

I still dont understand how they are going to pull it off!

I guess it does blur the line.

It's just that with big 8 megapixel pictures, or even 4 or 5 megapixel pictures, if you want to email a set of 10 or 20 to family members, it sure would be nice to be able to have 100 meg or larger attachments allowed on your 1 gig of storage space. That's what I'm trying to get at. There are some legit uses for big attachments and with broadband and huge hard drives, I wish we could have 100 meg attachments or even 200 or 500 meg for your 1 or 2 gig email. You send the email, it sits on the server in your mailbox until downloaded by your fellow Yahoo email group or whatever. Should be no big thing to do, right?