Abu Ghraib prisoners wins lawsuit

A federal court awarded $88 million to an Iraqi who said he was tortured at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq under Saddam Hussein’s leadership. 

Abdullah K. Alkhuzai, 33, of Pittsburgh’s Overbrook neighborhood, sued Saddam, his two sons, and eight other Iraqi leaders because, he said, he was starved, beaten, stabbed and shocked while at the Iraqi prison in 1991. In May, U.S. District Judge Thomas M. Hardiman granted a default judgment for Alkhuzai since none of the defendants responded to the suit.

“I feel really great, I feel the USA got my justice for me. I feel grateful to the USA government,” Alkhuzai said.

http://www.postgazette.com/breaking/20040622chemp6.asp

In May, U.S. District Judge Thomas M. Hardiman granted a default judgment for Alkhuzai since none of the defendants responded to the suit.

They can't show up when they're dead! :laugh:

Sucks to be those other guys named in the lawsuit, but I won't lose sleep over it.

This is another thing we shouldn't advertise to the world. They simply made an example out of those caught abusing prisoners kinda like they made an example out of Martha Stewart yet she'll never see any time, or very little if she does.

I have interviewed many soldiers in every realm of military that exists in the US and they have all said that when they went to fight in whatever war they were asigned, they witnessed abuse to hostages and prisoners and some even said they joined in on the beating of POW's and hostages.

I have interviewed many soldiers in every realm of military that exists in the US and they have all said that when they went to fight in whatever war they were asigned, they witnessed abuse to hostages and prisoners and some even said they joined in on the beating of POW's and hostages.

Because history, particularly WWII history, is a hobby of mine, the news of the Abu Gharib stuff did not surprise me.

I am curious as to who will be paying this $88 million reward. I sure hope its not my hard earned tax money.

Last two posters - you do realize this is a settlement agains Saddam Hussein, right? This has nothing to do with the recent abuse scandal...

There are eight other defendants other than Saddam and his two sons. Saddam and his sons are dead, therefore the other eight would pay (if they are still alive which the article did not specify).

so they make sadaam pay for abusing prisoners but not us?

The only relation between the two sets of abuses are there actual physical location. I imagine this has no bearing whatsoever on the more recent set of abuses.

There are eight other defendants other than Saddam and his two sons. Saddam and his sons are dead, therefore the other eight would pay (if they are still alive which the article did not specify).

Saddam is dead? How did I miss that one?

I left myself open for that one, huh?

There is always room for a little good natured kidding in RWI. Otherwise it would all be "Bush-fanboy" this and "Terrorist" that.

Where is the money coming from?

Saddam has no money now....they stripped him of all money assets?

and why 88 Million?...thats a little high.....now everyone will try to get around that amount/above it

The only relation between the two sets of abuses are there actual physical location. I imagine this has no bearing whatsoever on the more recent set of abuses.

also that they were being done to iraqis, they were wrong and inhumane. the only difference is whos doing it.

Last two posters - you do realize this is a settlement agains Saddam Hussein, right? This has nothing to do with the recent abuse scandal...

I do, and I did when I posted. But Saddam is in custody right now and I don't think he's going to be leaving anytime soon. How can claims be made against his assets if he has none or they have been frozen?

As another person mentioned, there are 8 other defendants in this case. I did not realize this. Therefore the payments can come from these other 8.

But 88 million? That makes me want to become a prisoner so I can sue people when I get out and be set for life.

There is always room for a little good natured kidding in RWI. Otherwise it would all be "Bush-fanboy" this and "Terrorist" that.

haha :rofl: yeah.. we wouldn't want that... :whistle: