About Becks Penalty shot

ok, leave the guy alone, he was the only player antagonized by the goal keeper (who wasn't carded by the very biased swiss ref) so he failed to notice that the penalty spot was not flat, when he placed the ball the goal keeper was virtually on top of him so Becks took a step back and left the ball where it was, with his run up the ball moved forward causing him to miss his intended contact by a good 10cm where the ball went over the bar.

In these circumstances I can't blame the guy.

I guess everyone forgot that Portugal won the toss and very arrogantly told England to go first which is in poor taste given the pressure on every penalty taker at the time.

who's with me?

oh, and why did England get a Swiss ref when Switzerland were in the same group? knocked out by England? i think you can't get more biased than that.

It wasn't Beckham failing. On TV you could clearly see that the ball moved before he was able to shoot it.

Though, it was Beckham failing when he put the ball on the spot. You just have to make sure that you put it right..... a goalkeeper intimidating isn't an excuse, that's all in the game.

In the end England didn't deserve to win the game anyways. They played like cowards and were in defence most of the match. The Portugese were the attacking and more attractive team. The way Ricardo stopped the last penalty without gloves and scored their last decisive penalty shows arrogance, but also guts and quality, something I haven't seen in any of the English players in this tournament (well except Rooney maybe).

Portugal deseved to win.

In the end England didn't deserve to win the game anyways. They played like cowards and were in defence most of the match. The Portugese were the attacking and more attractive team. The way Ricardo stopped the last penalty without gloves and scored their last decisive penalty shows arrogance, but also guts and quality, something I haven't seen in any of the English players in this tournament (well except Rooney maybe).

Portugal deseved to win.

After Rooney left England fell apart, so defending like they did for a good 60 minutes succesfully shows what they are capable of when they are down 2 key players.

As for the gloves thing, he only took off his gloves because he thought it was his turn is what I have heard.

Denying England any mutual respect on the field in these circumstances goes beyond "its all in the game" so I have to say i hope they get their asses whipped by Holland.

well... i think portugal officials are to blame for the penalty spot issues... not Beckham, not the players and not the ref...

Oh come on...

It happens constantly in the game. Players verbally intimidating eachother. Stepping on eachothers toes by 'accident'.

Getting people out of their concentration. It has nothing to do with respect, it has everything to do with the will to win.

Players have enough respect for eachother, it is just that during the match important things are at stake, so they try to win, which is very natural. And goalkeepers trying to get the penalty taker out of concentration is a very common phenomenon.

I've seen keepers do all kinds of tricks. From telling the ref to check the ball if it is on the right place, to jumping up and down in the goal like an energizer bunny. Walking up to the player and use some verbal intimidation is very common too.....

If you can't handle such things, don't take the damn penalty then.....

If you can't handle such things, don't take the damn penalty then.....

The issue here was the spot, not the other things you are going on about.. His only failure was to check it, but Ricardo assisted in this and yes Beckham should be able to deal with it, its his job. Again tho he was the only player 'intimidated' which also says a lot.

Ricardo took the gloves because he thought it would discourage the penalty taker.

Everyone knows that James is the weak point in England's team, Ricardo took the penalty because he was once a striker when he was younger.

and neobond. i know you're the admin and such.. but hey, they sent england first? what would you do? go first with that presure? anyone would do that, even if beck won the coin thing, he would send portuguese first.

ok, leave the guy alone, he was the only player antagonized by the goal keeper (who wasn't carded by the very biased swiss ref) so he failed to notice that the penalty spot was not flat, when he placed the ball the goal keeper was virtually on top of him so Becks took a step back and left the ball where it was, with his run up the ball moved forward causing him to miss his intended contact by a good 10cm where the ball went over the bar.

In these circumstances I can't blame the guy.

Yeap, true.

The pitch was very bad for both teams, Neobond. :huh: Rui Costa also failed a penalty, for the same reasons as Beckham.

Also, there was a english player that took the penalty from the right-upper side of the spot, the keeper complained, but the referee said "Move along...".

I guess everyone forgot that Portugal won the toss and very arrogantly told England to go first which is in poor taste given the pressure on every penalty taker at the time.

This made me laught. What is your point? Have you ever taken a penalty shootout?

Every team does exactly the same. This is called stress strategy.

England would do exactly the same.

oh, and why did England get a Swiss ref when Switzerland were in the same group? knocked out by England? i think you can't get more biased than that.

Pure coincidence. They pick the referees that have been acting better (or that are more popular) and make a ramdom call.

The way Ricardo stopped the last penalty without gloves and scored their last decisive penalty shows arrogance

Sir, I sense that you have never played football.

He took the gloves out because he wanted to scare and to make the opponent nervous: successful task!

Plus, he wanted to take the penalty because he was BELIEVING. He believed and he made the count. // With some Eus?bio support , also:pp!

Since when someone having faith, since when someone having THE frenzy of the moment isarrogance>?!

Funny that both the england camp and the portugese camp complained to UEFA about the spot before the game. After Beckham took his penalty all the other players knew to watch out for it, the next 4 or 5 penalties the players were jumping up and down on the spot to compact and flatten it, after that they weren't even taking the from the spot, it was slightly to the right!

Interesting that before the France Greece game they replaced the penalty spots with fresh turf...

The issue here was the spot, not the other things you are going on about.. His only failure was to check it, but Ricardo assisted in this and yes Beckham should be able to deal with it, its his job. Again tho he was the only player 'intimidated' which also says a lot.

The issue is the spot indeed. Beckham checked it, but not carefully enough.... his own stupid mistake.

ESPECIALLY because the english squad KNEW the penalty spots were crap. Erikson complained about it at the UEFA even!!

So if you know the spots are junk you check it carefully and make sure the ball is in the right place.

He took the gloves out because he wanted to scare and to make the opponent nervous: successful task!

Plus, he wanted to take the penalty because he was BELIEVING. He believed and he made the count.

Since when someone having faith, since when someone having THE frenzy of the moment is arrogance?!

I've played football for more then 12 years....... and I go to a lot of Ajax matches and some of the dutch squad.

Also don't quote me wrong, becaus you are ripping the quote out of context.

Taking your gloves off is a sort of arrogance no matter how you look at it. He was confindent enough (and arrogant enough) to take his gloves of just to show the player he could also stop the ball without gloves.

No matter how you think of that, it is ARROGANCE......

In the Netherlands Ajax is know as arrogant. In my opinion you need to have a certain level of arrogance, it can help you in some matches.

Edited by Schmoove

Yeap, true.

The pitch was very bad for both teams, Neobond.  :huh: Rui Costa also failed a penalty, for the same reasons as Beckham.

Also, there was a english player that took the penalty from the right-upper side of the spot, the keeper complained, but the referee said "Move along...".

This made me laught. What is your point? Have you ever taken a penalty shootout?

Every team does exactly the same. This is called stress strategy.

England would do exactly the same.

Pure coincidence. They pick the referees that have been acting better (or that are more popular) and make a ramdom call.

Plus, he wanted to take the penalty because he was BELIEVING. He believed and he made the count. // With some Eus?bio support , also:pp!

Since when someone having faith, since when someone having THE frenzy of the moment isarrogance>?!

Excellent points.

but back to my point, I still don't believe Beckham can be blamed under the circumstances of the spot. You could see his contact was way off.

I do think that it was his fault. In the end he's still the one shooting no matter what happens around him (although the pressure is high).

I agree that it's weird the game was lead by a Swiss refferee

Coincidence or not. To avoid speculation they could have picked another reff.

I wouldn't want a German reff to lead tonights game :)

I wouldn't want a German reff to lead tonights game :)

:shifty: I'll have to talk with my business colleagues, ... erm :blink: ... I mean: YES, LET US HOPE NOT! :o

i think he was responsible for it. he should have been more cautious about it. i mean he was the one that took it. he cant possibly blame everything on the mud pack. he was affected too much by the affair thing and the previous penalty he missed. he is not as reliable and stable as he used to be.

... and the previous penalty he missed ...

... and the previous penalties he missed ... :p

Nope sorry Neo I disagree, why? Well because he has missed 3 penalties in a row now! Hes loosing his skill overall I say (thats just my observation). And you could clearly see he was about to chip the ball in the corner as i said in another thread the chipping went wrong, he smacked his foot into the ground and bam there was a instant sand castle! Im VERY sure that they would check the field before a match, and its been reported that they checked the penalty spot before the game. So blaming the spot just does not do it. If Beckham admits that he made a mistake, then sure I would not blame him everyone makes mistakes. But the guy still doesn't admit it was his bad.

i agree with you neobond, but not on the "arrogance" issue. intimidation/strategy is apart of the game, plain and simple. Infact, it's apart of every sport, the fact is that every player who took a penalty had to put up with the ****ty penalty spot and beckham had no reason step back because ricardo was close to him, he should have, like most penalty takers, checked the spot properly.

either way he is still a great player and a fit captain, there is no other player on the english team fit to replace him in my opinion.

and, just for the record, portugal deserved the win, they dominated the game, and the ref WAS biased, but to both teams (look at the pictures in the offical euro 2004 thread, portugal had a goal that didn't count, and terry clearly impeded ricardo)