About Becks Penalty shot

Taking your gloves off is a sort of arrogance no matter how you look at it. He was confindent enough (and arrogant enough) to take his gloves of just to show the player he could also stop the ball without gloves.

No matter how you think of that, it is ARROGANCE......

In the Netherlands Ajax is know as arrogant. In my opinion you need to have a certain level of arrogance, it can help you in some matches.

So by arrogance, you mean that species of pride which consists in exorbitant claims of rank, dignity, estimation, or power, or which exalts the worth or importance of the person to an undue degree (yes, this was wikied :p)?

http://www.ojogo.pt/20-126/Artigo388184.htm

[btw, he is a very religious man. Don't mock him.  ;) ]

(...)

Q * What was going on your head to defend a penalty without gloves in a fully crowded stadium?

A * It was like a divine signal. It that moment I thought I head a voice from the sky saying: "Ricardo,  you must do something to change this, to defend this penalty and to clear the suffering and angst of all this people". I looked at myself and the first thing that I remembered to do was to take of my gloves. I tryed to gain moral support throught that and discourage the opponent. This is all nice when it ends well and, fortunately, I had luck, because I couldn't have defended , but, I was with lots of faith to that penalty.

Q * You have volunteered to shoot the next penalty. Why?

A * Everybody knows, since my first coaches to mister Scolari, that I don't turn by back into my responsabilities. When I'm there, in the field, I feel confident to make this kind of thing, like penalties. That's why. In that moments, of great tension, some may thing that they shouldn't shoot the penalties, but, there's always that little thing inside and I made my stand there. The mister told me that I could score after the sixt one so that we could win.

Q * That penalty made you relive your childhood times, when you scored penalty and played as a forward?

A * My mom and dad didn't let me miss at anything, when I was a kid, but sometimes I played in the street and in the backyards almost without close, without gloves, in anyway, and we got all messed up. It was a childhood instinct that I had in that moment.

(...)

England lost Rooney and the side did then go onto defending. England also didn't play very well. Saying both these things though, the ref was useless and was hugely biased - if you watched the match you can see he made very dubious decisions MOSTLY in Portugal's favour. I'm not trying to say England played brilliantly and the game was stolen from us, but disallowing the goal was wrong because he did not see it properly and because the assistant "REFEREE" allowed it and flagged it as clean.

The ref was poor... other refs have done brilliantly, but this particular ref was a disgrace to the sport. Camera replays are needed for refereeing decisions to stop crap like this happening again - you can't have a human there making mistakes that tens of millions of people are watching and can SEE if they are right. It shouldn't be luck if you score a goal as to whether it is counted.

Portugal played well (apart from Ronaldo the punk with his diamond earings and trying to claim fouls and corners that were to BLATANTLY not his), but England was cheated of a victory. The penalties are irrevelant (though VERY annoying) because it should not have got to them.

Well because he has missed 3 penalties in a row now! Hes loosing his skill overall I say (thats just my observation).

Wow... big deal. Beckham is a brilliant captain because he plays fair, he motivates the team, he is a great kicker (taking nearly all free kicks/corners) and because he is cool tempered. Throughout the tournament he has been shoved, pushed, kicked and beaten about and he has kept a PERFECT cool during all of this. He used to be hot headed but has now developed into a great person and a better leader.

PS - Saying all this, I don't particularly care about football. It's more the national pride and unfair refereeing that annoyed me.

Edited by theyarecomingforyou

I agree too. Did you see that news conference yesterday? He is such a good captain.

Yeah, I saw that on Sky Sports News - he is not the cleverest or most eloquent person in the world, but he really did himself proud in that interview. For anyone that saw it, I loved the way he turned round that question on the journalist who asked him about whether he thought he should be England captain or not. I was proud for him to be our captain. It took courage to act the way he did in the interview, and a lesser man may not have handled it as well.

As for the penalty, as he planted his left foot before striking the ball it caused the turf to move and the ball to 'pop up' slightly. This meant that, as he kicked it, his foot was more underneath the ball than it should have been and the ball ballooned over the bar.

Coincidently, I found a silver football in my back garden today. Must have been where the ball finally landed after the poor sod spooned it over the bar :shifty:

Edited by farsightxc2

Coincidently, I found a silver football in my back garden today. Must have been where the ball finally landed after the poor sod spooned it over the bar :shifty:

:laugh: :ninja:

Radish?

Coincidently, I found a silver football in my back garden today. Must have been where the ball finally landed after the poor sod spooned it over the bar 

hahaha

dealing with loss isn't difficult. unless your constantly cheated out of important victories. there's another "hand of god" always waiting for the english.

"Hand of god" where?

Even if the referee made a mistake (didn't), he ?made justice? when he annulled a TRUE goal from Portugal. So, shut up now because this subject is making me si:wacko:ck:cry:cry:

Maybe I don't understand soccer enough, but it looked to me like he just missed the shot, plain and simple.

I'm sure there were alot of other opportunities for England to have won the game. And don't forget about Portugal's goal that was not counted - if that was ruled a goal, there wouldn't even have been a shootout. The argument about a ball being placed wrong or whatever is hilarious. Step up and kick the ball for crying out loud.

Portugal had a goal disallowed? I must have missed that :blink:

England certainly had a perfectly ligitimate goal disallowed *as everyone is now aware*. This, therefore, would discount the idea that Portugals disallowed goal should have put them through. If, then, I am right in thinking there was no disallowed goal for Portugal, the fact England did have a disallowed goal would reverse this argument altogether!

As for the 'its simple, just kick it' argument, it is very hard to judge how to kick a ball you think is stationary when it moves at the last possible second. It like trying to shoot a tin can off a wall, and as you press the trigger the wind blowing it off just as the bullet is firing - it happens so quickly you cannot adjust to the movement and you miss.

But, at the end of the day he did miss the shot. No one is debating that. Portugal were even the better side: it was just a shame they won in such a controversial, or no one would have any issues whatsoever with them going through.

:)

Edited by farsightxc2

ok, leave the guy alone, he was the only player antagonized by the goal keeper (who wasn't carded by the very biased swiss ref) so he failed to notice that the penalty spot was not flat, when he placed the ball the goal keeper was virtually on top of him so Becks took a step back and left the ball where it was, with his run up the ball moved forward causing him to miss his intended contact by a good 10cm where the ball went over the bar.

In these circumstances I can't blame the guy.

I guess everyone forgot that Portugal won the toss and very arrogantly told England to go first which is in poor taste given the pressure on every penalty taker at the time.

who's with me?

oh, and why did England get a Swiss ref when Switzerland were in the same group? knocked out by England? i think you can't get more biased than that.

lol you really cant accept defeat. :no:

i just want to remind you that the penalty spot was the same for both teams... Lemme see, Beckham missed cause the spot wasnt flat, and rui costa not. ;)

About calling arrogant us for telling you to go first you have to be kidding. :woot:

Are those highly paid professional soccer players or amateurs who cant handle pressure?

You still think that the disallowed goal was legitimate?the rules i know dont allow to disturb the keeper action in his area.

Portugal had a goal disallowed?  I must have missed that :blink:

England certainly had a perfectly ligitimate goal disallowed *as everyone is now aware*.  This, therefore, would discount the idea that Portugals disallowed goal should have put them through.  If, then, I am right in thinking there was no disallowed goal for Portugal, the fact England did have a disallowed goal would reverse this argument altogether!

As for the 'its simple, just kick it' argument, it is very hard to judge how to kick a ball you think is stationary when it moves at the last possible second.  It like trying to shoot a tin can off a wall, and as you press the trigger the wind blowing it off just as the bullet is firing - it happens so quickly you cannot adjust to the movement and you miss.

But, at the end of the day he did miss the shot.  No one is debating that.  Portugal were even the better side: it was just a shame they won in such a controversial, or no one would have any issues whatsoever with them going through.

:)

:laugh:

I meant England's goal. Sorry :)

I understand the point you make about the ball being stationary and whatnot. The highlights I saw on SportsCenter (unfortunately, we in the USA don't get soccer coverage unless it has something to do with Team USA) the kick was so far missed I think he just booted it. It looked funky, like his right foot just stuck in the ground and the ball went sailing high above the goal.

Oh well, in the end, he gets to "shag" a hottie female and he's rich.

i just want to remind you that the penalty spot was the same for both teams... Lemme see, Beckham missed cause the spot wasnt flat, and rui costa not.

Yes, but the ball moved just when Beckham was about to shoot. This wasn't the case with all the others. It's no excuse but it can explain that weird shot of his.

"Beckham: I wasn't fit to lead England to victory"

David Beckham has admitted for the first time that he was not fit to lead England's ill-fated attempt to win Euro 2004 - and that his recent problems on and off the pitch have been taking a heavy toll.

The England captain, who has been widely criticised for a series of largely anonymous performances in Portugal, claims that an inadequate fitness regime at his Spanish club left him well below his peak physical condition.

Beckham said: 'I don't think we've done as much conditioning work at Real Madrid as we used to do at Manchester United [whom he left in 2003].

'I didn't feel as fit in the second half of the season as I did in the first half. Maybe that's the way the Spanish game is.'

Asked if his lack of fitness had spilled over into Euro 2004, he replied: 'Yes, maybe it has.'

Beckham has had to defend himself since England lost on penalties to Portugal in the quarter-finals in Lisbon Thursday night.

Sources inside the England camp say he was well below ideal fitness levels when he joined the squad. Fitness coaches had to give him extra sessions.

Beckham also suggested that recent troubles, including claims that he betrayed his wife Victoria by having two affairs, have been getting on top of him. 'It has been tough this season on and off the pitch because of certain situations, but I am strong enough,' he said.

'I've got to be strong because I am a father who has got to look after two young boys and my wife. When I'm down they pick me up and when they're down I pick them up.'

But he insisted: 'I will overcome this.'

source : The Observer

Beckham?s lame excuse for his bad performance

I'm welsh and don;t even support england but i have to agree that that penalty spot was shocking. And its obvious it was dodgy bacause in the france match they made some kind of mesh to fix it also the england team had complained the day before specifically about the penalty spot being dodgy.

I dont care what anyone say's beckham does NOT do that for a penalty without something being wrong!!!